News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pointless concurrencies

Started by hbelkins, November 29, 2010, 01:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jwolfer on December 01, 2010, 06:09:32 PM

Keeping in NJ.  I have read that parts of US 202 are maintained by Morris County
And Passaic.  State maintenance ends at NJ 53, except for the NJ 23 overlap.
If you read the state logs, you find out very interestingly that about a mile of CR 524 is state-maintained in the I-195 area.  This was constructed as part of the unbuilt extension of NJ 37.  (NJ 37 and 38 were proposed as expressways/freeways, and I-195 would not have been built.)  There's a state-built bridge stamped ROUTE 37 on CR 539 east of Fort Dix, too, but that's now county-maintained.  In NJ, as far as I know all state-maintained roads are state-numbered except railroad overpasses and airport property roads.  Someone will come prove me wrong...

dave19

Quote from: Icodec on November 30, 2010, 09:51:29 PM
How about I-99 and US 220? Why be both for the entire route?
I was living in the Altoona area when the I-99 designation was first announced. At that time, the Altoona paper reported that once the highway was completed to I-80, the 220 designation would be removed, according to district 9 of PennDOT. The article didn't say whether it would go back onto the old road (though that could easily be done, as most of it is now signed as either BUS or ALT 220) or be truncated at Bedford with the portion north of I-80 renumbered. Of course, that plan has either been changed or forgotten.

hbelkins

With I-99 scheduled to run all the way north to Corning (maybe even Rochester if it usurps I-390) and NY 15 slated to be truncated to the NY 21 intersection where it departs the interstate, I'd expect US 15 north of Williamsport to be an endangered species. Otherwise it will be a pointless concurrency with I-99 once the construction of the freeway is complete.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

I think the whole 80-95 has been beaten to death at this point, but I wanted to drive the final stake in the heart. This is taken from NYCRoads (http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-80_NJ/) although the very same Derrick (quoted here) confirmed it for me himself one night when we were hanging out in Richmond (he's actually a dear friend of mine):

QuoteAlthough this section is locally called "80-95," it is not part of I-80, but rather is signed exclusively as part of I-95. Posting in misc.transport.road, Derrick Stuart received the following letter from the NJDOT:

As you know, I-80 ends at I-95. The guidelines for numbering the Interstate routes have been established by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). Officials specifically state that "dual interstate numbering be held to a minimum consistent with proper travel guidance." I-95, a major national north-south Interstate, is the logical terminus of I-80, a major national east-west Interstate highway. Therefore, we have no plans to change the numbering or signing of this section.

Anyway, the most pointless concurrency ever is I-97/MD 3. Don't ask me why, but MD 3 extends onto I-97 for a short distance, only for its disconnected business route to show up as an exit a few miles later. I have no idea why MD 3 doesn't just end at the 97 interchange - there is no reason at all for the concurrency. Maybe it would make sense to have it to connect Business Route 3 with Mainline MD 3, but no, it comes onto 97 and ends completely uselessly.

SSOWorld

I-39 and US 51.

In fact, WI has a lot of pointless concurrencies.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MDRoads

As weird as I-97 / MD 3 and the disconnect with its business route, a more pointless concurrency is MD 2-4.  Especially since MD 2 has been truncated from its traditional southern terminus at Solomons Island. Even before this, it was 1 mile or so of MD 2 connected by a 27 mile concurrency with 4.

MD 2 officially ends now at the final ramps prior to the MD 4 Thomas Johnson Bridge, ending at the frontage road (signed MD 765).  Since Calvert County is now more oriented toward Washington than Baltimore, and MD 4 has the higher capacity (4-lane divided vs. 2-lane), MD 2 should be rolled back to the northern junction with MD 4.  If there is a need to sign the former MD 2 in Solomon's Island, then use 765, as it connects directly with the eastern MD 4 frontage.

sandiaman

How about  US  412/56  from  the panhandle  of Oklahoma  to Springer NM?  US  56  makes sense  as the  Santa  Fe  Trail highway, but US  412  serves  no  purpose,  there  is no parent highway  of US  12  nearby.  It  meanders  all  over the south and southwest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.