News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Road-Geeky Things Of The P...
Last post by dlsterner - Today at 01:18:02 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 23, 2024, 09:57:07 PMIf you want to see what P13 is up to...

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/threads/the-poiponen13-thread.12558/

They even created his own topic! It all reads very familiar.

Interesting that when P13 was on this board, they branched off into football and "floorball" scheduling -- but on that board, P13 never branched off into road geek stuff  :hmmm:   (I will admit that I didn't read every post)
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by dlsterner - Today at 01:03:49 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on April 19, 2024, 01:38:29 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 18, 2024, 12:06:03 PMWhat roads/bridges have you been on that no longer exist due to a disaster/collapse? For me, the only one I can think of is I-95 in Philly before the collapse. I've never been on the Francis Scott Key Bridge, but I'm sure many have.

Been over the Francis Scott Key bridge many a time.  I liked it as an alternative between my house in central Maryland and heading NW of Baltimore on I-95, especially at times when the tunnels might have heavy traffic.  (this was in the days before you could see traffic on Google Maps).

Also have crossed the I-95 bridge in Philadelphia once, about six months before its collapse.  Forgot about that one.

I did remember another bridge, although far less known than the others.  The bridge over the Conestoga River south of Lancaster, PA carrying southbound US 222/PA 272.  As a kid, had been over that bridge many a time before it was washed away by Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and replaced with a plain concrete bridge.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 12:22:13 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 23, 2024, 06:13:48 PM

So you're allowed to trespass before 10 pm? That wouldn't be trespassing if it's allowed, would it?
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by roadman65 - April 23, 2024, 11:57:03 PM
Basically we are going through a change in demographics. The same demographics that define popular music and radio format is happening.  It's just you got a change in culture to go with it either due to technology or the fact we have other things that are out there that are making the race evolve.

I'm not going to speculate about the other things as there are way too many theories and explanations. My good friend told me once to just live your live and trust that in our old age, children's or grandchildren's lives we will see it get stabilized. Right now there is way too much important stuff to tend to than to theorize on what is the blame ( or who to blame)as there are more theories out there than there are people in the world so it seems.

That's why I ignore social media because too many theorizing on what's happening in this world on that.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by cpzilliacus - April 23, 2024, 11:43:39 PM
Quote from: cockroachking on April 22, 2024, 10:00:37 AMI think you underestimate how much utility relocation costs...

Roach, speaking of utilities, that could be the answer to get
from US-1 at Beltsville to US-50.

There's a high-voltage PEPCO (Potomac Electric Power Company)
transmission corridor with four 230 kVa circuits that
could be probably be used as for a road project, by moving
the lines to the sides of the right-of-way on new
structures (the lattice structures that are there today date
back to the 1960's or before and could be approaching the end
of their useful lives).
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by cpzilliacus - April 23, 2024, 11:37:47 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on April 22, 2024, 07:53:26 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on April 02, 2024, 03:19:24 PMLooking at google maps, it appears there is a very easy ROW to accomodate the ICC being extended to at least the BW Parkway.  Has that ever been discussed and why has that not been done, it would seem to be an obvious addition.

"Very easy" except for a development of townhouses just opposite US 1 and MARC from the ICC's east end...

I live not too far from there and am quite familiar with that area. 
The smart way to deal with that is a short bored tunnel (not cheap
but can be done with relatively little or no impact on those homes
or the CSX Capital Sub.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 51/I-80 Business Loop
Last post by TheStranger - April 23, 2024, 11:31:30 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2024, 11:28:52 AMI'm just using the names the freeway segments originally had.  I tend to find they are better at describing where things are on CA 51.  But yes, Ben Ali was one of many communities which has been annexed into Sacramento. 

If I'm remembering correctly, the names used were:
29/30 Freeway for the section built as I-80/US 99E in the early 1960s (and likely part of I-305 based on FHWA's mileage count), a local moniker and not an official name I think
Elvas Freeway (IIRC, built first as US 99E in the late 1950s) for the section from E Street across the American River (near Elvas Avenue) to Route 160
North Sacramento Freeway (former US 40/99E)) as continuation of that name from the Route 160 freeway, to Marconi Curve
Ben Ali-Roseville Freeway (former US 40/99E) from Marconi Curve northeast past today's 80/Business 80 interchange, to Roseville itself around the Riverside Avenue left exit

Sports / Re: Arizona Coyotes players ap...
Last post by KeithE4Phx - April 23, 2024, 11:21:08 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 23, 2024, 03:23:14 PMSaw this pic on Twitter and really liked it.

Is that an official proposal?  Last I heard, they will be called just "Utah" and will determine their final nickname/logo/trademarks after the 2024-25 season.
Mountain West / Re: US 93 In Arizona Progress
Last post by KeithE4Phx - April 23, 2024, 11:18:53 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 09, 2024, 03:22:00 PMThe entire US 93 corridor in Arizona goes through some truly desolate land. Outside of a short bypass of Wikieup, both segments of US 93 between the Arizona/Nevada border and Wickenburg could mostly be upgraded into Interstate 11 on its existing alignment.

Most of it north of Wickenburg is being built over the current US 93.  In fact, most of it between I-40 and AZ 89 is done, other than interchanges and ranch turnoffs.  Exceptions include the potential (not yet officially defined) bypass of Wickieup, the Beale Street Bottleneck Bypass in Kingman, and the 2-lane Joshua Forest Highway segment where most of the accidents occur.
Northeast / Re: I-95 and New Jersey Turnpi...
Last post by jeffandnicole - April 23, 2024, 10:53:03 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on April 23, 2024, 02:17:57 PMIt is kind of a head scratcher.  Even though cities in the NE corridor were large then (circa 1950), there was not expansive suburbanization then, nor large traffic passenger car demands between NYC and Philly possibly then.   Straight shot US - 1 may have been largely rural then, as well.  95 could have directly overlaid it.   Most likely though, the existence of the NJT (opened early 50's) diluted the "percieved need" for a later parallel route next to it.   Although I-295 exists, alongside the NJT, for a significant portion of it's length.  That's another head scratcher.  Why did they (meaning the turnpike authority) allow the seemingly diplicitous 295 corridor to be built out?!   Meaning that if 295 had never existed, beyond being a strictly Trenton loop, all the traffic, on it's southern length, would have been on the NJT, fattening their coffers even more.   

In a way, 295 & the NJ Turnpike basically serves two different markets, but complements each other nicely.  If there was no 295, with all other things being equal, the Turnpike would need to be 4 - 6 lanes wide in each direction to serve the area, with the interchanges being greatly overrun with heavy traffic.  Would we have seen more interchanges on the Turnpike, or an interchange with 42 long ago if 295 never existed?  Hard to say. 

The Turnpike was always quick to shut down its road at Interchange 4 when backups at Interchange 1 South exceeded about 10 miles before the new plaza was built, and encourage traffic to use 295 instead.

Up north, more than many realize take I-287 to bypass the heavier Turnpike region and the congested GWB. 

Unlike many states, the Turnpike doesn't have a no-compete or no-widening clause, so NJDOT can do what they want to do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.