News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Southern State Highway - Missouri

Started by Route66Fan, September 28, 2020, 06:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Here is the routing of the "Southern State Highway" from Kansas City, MO to Warrensburg, MO. The Southern State Highway runs from Kansas City, MO to St. Louis, MO, through Jefferson City, MO.

The Ghostbuster

Does present-day US 50 follow the entire length of Missouri's "Southern State Highway"?

edwaleni

Quote from: Route66Fan on September 28, 2020, 06:57:08 PM
Here is the routing of the "Southern State Highway" from Kansas City, MO to Warrensburg, MO. The Southern State Highway runs from Kansas City, MO to St. Louis, MO, through Jefferson City, MO.

Of the three "Cross Missouri" highways, this appears to be southern route.

Route66Fan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2020, 03:11:01 PM
Does present-day US 50 follow the entire length of Missouri's "Southern State Highway"?
Most of it does.

Route66Fan

This road was also "Missouri State Highway No. 12" from 1922 to 1926.
1922 Missouri Highway Commission Map

Route66Fan

I've uploaded an alternate routing between Lake Lotawana, MO & Warrensburg, MO that was mentioned in the "Official Automobile Blue Book" which was recommended by the "Warrensburg Commercial Club".

Route66Fan

I've just uploaded the route from Warrensburg, MO, to Sedalia, MO. I've also corrected the routings in Warrensburg, MO.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded another section of the route from Sedalia, MO to Tipton, MO.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded another section from Tipton, MO to Jefferson City, MO & have also slightly revised the route in Tipton, MO.

Route66Fan

I'm currently in the middle of working on the section of the "Southern State Highway" from Jefferson City, MO to Washington, MO, however, I seem to be having problems with it. Instead of it following what is now US 50, the highway instead swings Northeast along the bluffs of the Missouri River & goes through Osage City, MO (Where it crosses the Osage River on a "Power Ferry", which charged $1.00.), Chamois, MO, Morrison, MO (Near where it crosses the Gasconade River on another ferry that charged 50c.), Hermann, MO, Berger, MO, before entering Washington, MO.

edwaleni

Quote from: Route66Fan on October 09, 2020, 03:18:54 AM
I'm currently in the middle of working on the section of the "Southern State Highway" from Jefferson City, MO to Washington, MO, however, I seem to be having problems with it. Instead of it following what is now US 50, the highway instead swings Northeast along the bluffs of the Missouri River & goes through Osage City, MO (Where it crosses the Osage River on a "Power Ferry", which charged $1.00.), Chamois, MO, Morrison, MO (Near where it crosses the Gasconade River on another ferry that charged 50c.), Hermann, MO, Berger, MO, before entering Washington, MO.

That power ferry would cost between $20-25 in today's terms.

Most ferry's back in those days used a cable drawn across the river and the operator would row. But these were not preferred because packet boats or steamers had to wait until the operator dropped his cable so they could pass. Occasionally a paddle wheel would get fouled up

Route66Fan

I've decided to focus on the section between Jefferson City, MO & Chamois, MO for right now.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded the route between Jefferson City, MO & Chamois, MO.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded the section between Chamois, MO, & Herman, MO. I had a problem with the part at Stolpe, MO.

Route66Fan

The section from Hermann, MO, to Washington, MO, is now up.

Route66Fan

The next section from Washington, MO to Ellisville, MO, is now up.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded another section from Ellisville, MO, to Forrest Park in St. Louis, MO. Since Google Maps won't let me upload anymore layers, I'll have to extend this section to finish out this map.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.