NYC via mass transit - 12/23/16 to 12/29/16

Started by noelbotevera, December 07, 2016, 08:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2016, 10:30:07 PM
Amtrak fares fluctuate quickly based on how tickets are selling. Couple of years ago I needed to take the Acela from New York home to DC on a Sunday, but I didn't know what my timing would be. If I'd bought the ticket on Saturday it would have been $100. I wound up paying $180 because I bought the ticket about 15 minutes before departure. Oh well. The longer-distance trains vary even more. I've seen sleeping-car fares on the Auto Train vary by over $400 for the same class of room depending on how close it is to departure time.
I bet same revenue management system as used by airlines. Usually same type of seats are subdivided into several fare buckets, with more expensive ones having some additional privileges, like more flexible change rules.
Idea is that those who cannot pay much still can travel, while sacrificing some comfort - while last moment purchase by a business person who needs to close a multibillion deal provides company with some extra $$$.

noelbotevera

Some recent updates.

I have to lie about my age and thus have to spend more (from $89 to $118). Since my brother is not yet 18, I cannot travel with him. So we'll just lie and say that I'm 13.

We're doing the 10 AM train. Should be pretty quick (it's listed at 3 hours, 3 minutes). Unfortunately, since it's Keystone Service, there's no cafe car (since we're on a time limit, we decided to pick up food on the train).

mrsman

Quote from: Duke87 on December 09, 2016, 08:07:30 PM
Based on how you've described the location it wouldn't be that difficult to stay on the E to Sutphin/Archer and walk from there, it's less than 1/4 mile extra compared to changing trains (depending on how much luggage you really have).

Or, if you want the F, just walk over to Herald Square from Penn (about the same amount of extra walking).

If you reason for going up to 42nd is that you want to walk through Times Square I will point out that the center of Times Square itself is actually at 45th St and if you simply walk down 42nd you will skirt around the edge of it. Yes, the subway station is named "Times Square - 42nd St" (since the station is centered around 42nd, not in the middle of Times Square itself). This has been known to mislead the uninformed.

So true.  In fact, the entrances to the 49th street station of the R and W train is closer to the action than the 42nd street entrance.  Don't just take the closest entrance you find.  Many people would prefer to walk to 42nd street because so many more trains stop there.

And I agree on the directions.  88th Ave is a lot closer to the F train than the E train.  So, either walk from Penn station to Herald Square (or 42/6 if you want  the scenic route) and take the F - or take the E from Penn and transfer at Roosevelt Ave or 71 Ave or Union Turnpike to the F.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.