News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Carmakers like VW are bringing back buttons because drivers loathe all the touch

Started by ZLoth, April 27, 2023, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: ZLoth on March 06, 2024, 01:25:13 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2024, 12:39:38 PMBring back the hi-beam control on the floor.

That got eliminated with either the front-wheel drive models or the desire of the US auto manufacturers to emulate the European manufacturers in the 1970s. Yes, I recall when my parents car had a hi-beam on the floor board.

Heh. My first car had a manual transmission, a foot-operated high-beam switch, and a foot-operated parking brake. It drove the state inspection guy absolutely nuts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2024, 12:39:38 PM
Bring back the hi-beam control on the floor.
My dad would joke around pretending to pull on an invisible cord from the ceiling to turn on the brights, like a railroad engineer pulling on the whistle cord. It took us a while to figure out there was a foot switch.

Henry

This is something that the auto industry should've never done away with in the first place.

Buttons > Touchscreens
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Henry on March 06, 2024, 11:03:36 PM
This is something that the auto industry should've never done away with in the first place.

Buttons > Touchscreens

Buttons in cars are absolutely one of those things I'm willing to be a Boomer™ about, TBH. If it ain't got buttons and knobs, I ain't gonna want it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ZLoth

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 06, 2024, 11:06:57 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 06, 2024, 11:03:36 PM

Buttons > Touchscreens

Buttons in cars are absolutely one of those things I'm willing to be a Boomer™ about, TBH. If it ain't got buttons and knobs, I ain't gonna want it.

It depends on the function, the immediatecy of the function, and how quickly you need the control while the vehicle is in motion. Thus, climate control and the radio controls (namely the volume) should have tactile functions. Pairing up your phone to the car's Bluetooth  or customizing some of the vehicle options should be handled by a touchscreen. If you have too many knobs, that also causes confusion.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

The touch screen should ONLY be for things you wouldn't expect to do while the car is in motion.  Reset the TPMS, change the car's settings so it won't automatically lock itself if left alone, things like that.

kphoger

Meanwhile, there's my 2002 Focus.  It doesn't matter which way I turn the radio's volume knob:  it might go up, it might go down, who knows?  The other day, I wanted to increase the volume from 13 to 15.  Incrementally, I ended up getting it all the way down to zero and then gave up for the day.  The next day, I managed to get it up to 15.  Now I'm leaving it there, no matter what.  The problem is that some radio stations are much louder than others.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2024, 11:43:55 AM
Meanwhile, there's my 2002 Focus.  It doesn't matter which way I turn the radio's volume knob:  it might go up, it might go down, who knows?  The other day, I wanted to increase the volume from 13 to 15.  Incrementally, I ended up getting it all the way down to zero and then gave up for the day.  The next day, I managed to get it up to 15.  Now I'm leaving it there, no matter what.  The problem is that some radio stations are much louder than others.

That must be a weird Ford thing when the controls start wearing out. I have a relative that had a Mercury Mariner (the forgotten counterpart to the Escape) that I think was a 2004, and it did that same thing when she was getting rid of it in 2021. Moving the knob the volume just kind of went where it wanted to go.

Sani

Can you try pulling the knob off and spraying some contact cleaner behind it to see if that clears it up? I had to do that with the volume control in my 2009 Odyssey.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2024, 11:35:54 PM
Bring back dashes filled with needle gauges.
I quite like the digital speedometer on my Civic.  I can see down to the mph how fast I'm going with no guesstimating, and when I go to Canada, I can switch to metric with the push of a button.  No looking at the small numbers for me!

Granted, the lack of a proper engine temperature gauge is more annoying.  My Accord's was most invaluable the summer it had a coolant leak.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on March 07, 2024, 12:33:10 PM
That must be a weird Ford thing when the controls start wearing out. I have a relative that had a Mercury Mariner (the forgotten counterpart to the Escape) that I think was a 2004, and it did that same thing when she was getting rid of it in 2021. Moving the knob the volume just kind of went where it wanted to go.

The trim level came with a Mach brand stereo, so I don't know that it's even a Ford issue at all.

Quote from: Sani on March 07, 2024, 12:38:31 PM
Can you try pulling the knob off and spraying some contact cleaner behind it to see if that clears it up? I had to do that with the volume control in my 2009 Odyssey.

I pulled the knob off once and put it back on again.  But, in doing so, the whole face of the stereo started coming off, and it was hard to actually find the pin again to re-seat the knob onto afterward.  I don't want to risk the stereo not working at all in the process.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

I started having the same issue in the '04 Sienna I used to drive where the volume and tune knobs would cause the radio to do whatever it felt like rather than adjusting how I wanted. Though, admittedly, it was typically easier to change the volume via the controls on the steering wheel anyways, so I typically didn't bother with adjusting the knobs.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2024, 01:08:50 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 07, 2024, 12:33:10 PM

The trim level came with a Mach brand stereo, so I don't know that it's even a Ford issue at all.

She had the Mach stereo, so yeah could be a problem with that specific stereo that Ford used for the higher-end systems.

GCrites

Most cars are otherwise so reliable today that the majority of reliability complaints and JD Power demerits come from the infotainment system. The more things buried in there to save money the less functional the car becomes when something goes wrong with it. And the harder to use which is more on the JD Power side.

epzik8

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 07, 2024, 08:45:13 PM
Most cars are otherwise so reliable today that the majority of reliability complaints and JD Power demerits come from the infotainment system. The more things buried in there to save money the less functional the car becomes when something goes wrong with it. And the harder to use which is more on the JD Power side.

Technology isn't always for the better...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

tchafe1978

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 07, 2024, 03:54:05 PM
I started having the same issue in the '04 Sienna I used to drive where the volume and tune knobs would cause the radio to do whatever it felt like rather than adjusting how I wanted. Though, admittedly, it was typically easier to change the volume via the controls on the steering wheel anyways, so I typically didn't bother with adjusting the knobs.

I had a 1997 Pontiac Trans Sport minivan that did similar. It had steering wheel volume controls. At some point the volume started going haywire. It would get really loud for some reason, even as I turned the volume down on the dial on the radio, the volume would keep getting louder and louder to the point where I was waiting for the speakers to blow out. I finally got so annoyed with it, and thought maybe the buttons on the steering wheel had something to do with it. So I started pounding on them as hard as I could with my fist until the buttons finally broke. Problem solved!

ZLoth

Quote from: epzik8 on March 08, 2024, 06:34:50 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on March 07, 2024, 08:45:13 PMMost cars are otherwise so reliable today that the majority of reliability complaints and JD Power demerits come from the infotainment system. The more things buried in there to save money the less functional the car becomes when something goes wrong with it. And the harder to use which is more on the JD Power side.

Technology isn't always for the better...

I would rather have the Bluetooth integration of today rather than the CD and tape players of yesteryear... or even the AM-only radios of my parent's generation. How about those fuel injection systems over those carburetors?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

Eh, I'd rather have the CDs. Way harder for telemarketers to interrupt them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 01:41:41 AMEh, I'd rather have the CDs. Way harder for telemarketers to interrupt them.

That's a couple pounds of added weight that has to be engineered to withstand the temperature extremes of the Arizona Summer and the Wisconsin Winters. Not to mention a repair bill. My CD player malfunctioned in my previous vehicle, and I ended up putting in a FM modulator to play audio. It was cheaper than getting the rarely-used CD player fixed.

Rothman

Quote from: ZLoth on March 11, 2024, 08:49:45 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 01:41:41 AMEh, I'd rather have the CDs. Way harder for telemarketers to interrupt them.

That's a couple pounds of added weight that has to be engineered to withstand the temperature extremes of the Arizona Summer and the Wisconsin Winters. Not to mention a repair bill. My CD player malfunctioned in my previous vehicle, and I ended up putting in a FM modulator to play audio. It was cheaper than getting the rarely-used CD player fixed.
*shrug*

Lived in northern WI.  Never had issues with my car's CD player.

I do not miss having to figure out which CDs were in the changer and whatnot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GCrites

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 01:41:41 AM

Seriously, people figured out a way for offline media such as songs on your phone to have "advertising". This is what happens when every single thing is combined into one device. I'm sorry, life was just more interesting when we interacted with multiple objects every day rather than a single Joypod.

vdeane

I don't think I've heard advertising in offline songs, but then, I just use VLC, not any of the commercial apps.  As for cars, give me a good old aux cable.  I like that those just send the audio, especially given that car manufacturers can't be trusted with security and privacy.  I don't need or want the entire contents of my phone downloaded into the car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

I usually just connect to either my Plex or Emby server from my phone. No advertising.

SectorZ

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 11, 2024, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 01:41:41 AM

Seriously, people figured out a way for offline media such as songs on your phone to have "advertising". This is what happens when every single thing is combined into one device. I'm sorry, life was just more interesting when we interacted with multiple objects every day rather than a single Joypod.

I have 2,000+ CDs, all on an iPhone along with thousands of others songs I have "downloaded" as well. No ads listening to music either way in my case.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.