Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

MUTCD Mileposts in California?

(1/11) > >>

ethanhopkin14:
On a trip to Wikipedia to research the California postmile system (because I don't understand it), I learned that three freeways, SR-14, SR-58 and SR-180 have been a testing ground for posting a traditional mile marker system.  A trip to google maps for investigation turned up nothing (most recent street view was 2019).  Does anyone know of these test mile markers in the field?  Does anyone have any evidence?  Also, since it was very specifically pointed out that the system was different than the postmile system, I was asuming the mile markers would be MUTCD standard ones.

Max Rockatansky:
There for sure a bunch of mile markers on CA 17 in the Santa Cruz Mountains.  There is plenty of photos that made it online in Facebook groups which I recall seeing recently.

myosh_tino:
We already have a discussion about this on this forum at...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27944.0

There are a few photos of the mileposts plus some concept drawings I created to address the fact that the mileage posted are for the route's mileage within Santa Clara county rather than for the entire route.

cahwyguy:

--- Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 20, 2021, 03:48:32 PM ---On a trip to Wikipedia to research the California postmile system (because I don't understand it), I learned that three freeways, SR-14, SR-58 and SR-180 have been a testing ground for posting a traditional mile marker system.  A trip to google maps for investigation turned up nothing (most recent street view was 2019).  Does anyone know of these test mile markers in the field?  Does anyone have any evidence?  Also, since it was very specifically pointed out that the system was different than the postmile system, I was asuming the mile markers would be MUTCD standard ones.

--- End quote ---

Note: If you want to understand the numbering -- all aspects -- of highways in California, take a look at my numbering page: https://www.cahighways.org/numberng.html

Daniel

ethanhopkin14:

--- Quote from: cahwyguy on January 20, 2021, 05:28:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 20, 2021, 03:48:32 PM ---On a trip to Wikipedia to research the California postmile system (because I don't understand it), I learned that three freeways, SR-14, SR-58 and SR-180 have been a testing ground for posting a traditional mile marker system.  A trip to google maps for investigation turned up nothing (most recent street view was 2019).  Does anyone know of these test mile markers in the field?  Does anyone have any evidence?  Also, since it was very specifically pointed out that the system was different than the postmile system, I was asuming the mile markers would be MUTCD standard ones.

--- End quote ---

Note: If you want to understand the numbering -- all aspects -- of highways in California, take a look at my numbering page: https://www.cahighways.org/numberng.html

Daniel

--- End quote ---

I have visited it.  It makes sense, yes, but just feels overly complicated for the sake of being complicated.  In Texas, we have the reference mile system, which I think is stupid.  I also feel like its complicated just to be complicated. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version