Inter-Provincial Inspection Stations

Started by ghYHZ, September 15, 2018, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

In the US.....there are internal CBP Inspection Stations located inland and away from the Mexican Border where vehicles can be stopped and occupants questioned about their citizenship.  They also set up spot-checks inland from the Canadian Border.

So is this the closest we have to that in Canada? This is at an inter-provincial border. Arriving at the Marine Atlantic Ferry Terminal in Port-aux-Basques, Newfoundland (sounds like: Port O Bask)...... as you enter this building you will be asked to open your trunk for inspection. They're not looking for illegal immigrants but it's Agriculture Canada looking for soil and plants where a pest might be hitching a ride to the mainland.

If your vehicle is exceptionally dirty.....it will be washed and even the mats vacuumed (all complementary!) Then you are free to line-up and board the ferry. 

Are there any other inter-provincial inspection stations in Canada?

20180911_092232 by ., on Flickr

20180911_094748 by ., on Flickr

20180911_110349 by ., on Flickr

20180911_100519 by ., on Flickr

cbeach40

I would imagine that has to do with trying to reduce invasive species on the island?
Also, find it odd that the vertical clearances don't have metric.

In terms of other provinces, Ontario did have an issue a few years back involving a joint MTO and CBSA operation.
https://globalnews.ca/news/2506692/memos-suggest-border-agency-broke-rules-in-vehicle-safety-blitz-that-deported-13/
and waterrrrrrr!

ghYHZ

Quote from: cbeach40 on September 18, 2018, 09:51:52 AM
I would imagine that has to do with trying to reduce invasive species on the island?

Other way around. It's an exit inspection.....trying to keep any invasive species and in particular the potato wart being carried in soil to the mainland.

Good catch on that non-metric sign.....and it;s a federal facility!

Brandon

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 18, 2018, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on September 18, 2018, 09:51:52 AM

Other way around. It's an exit inspection.....trying to keep any invasive species and in particular the potato wart being carried in soil to the mainland.

Similar to other agricultural inspections in the US.  One is an USDA inspection to/from Hawai'i for invasive species.  The other is a state-run inspection for entering California.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

oscar

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 18, 2018, 04:55:48 PM
Good catch on that non-metric sign.....and it;s a federal facility!

I've seen non-metric signs in Canada for vertical clearances, especially the 7 foot 0 inch clearance signs for the main decks on some BC Ferries vessels, and one at a motel in Vancouver (which let me confirm that my vehicle would meet vertical clearance requirements on the BC Ferries vessels I was about to take to and from Vancouver Island).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.