News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why doesn't Massachusetts sign well for Vermont?

Started by interstatefan990, February 19, 2023, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 15, 2023, 03:41:26 PM
Quote from: ThatHighwayGuy777 on September 13, 2023, 10:30:32 PM
On I-91 we get signed for White River JCT, VT obviously indicating I-89 also Vermont doesn't sign Springfield and becomes very greedy with its control cities sometimes also because I-91's last big "city" is Greenfield, MA after that we just head directly for Canada

WRJ is also helpful for people who might be visiting a certain Ivy League school up in that neck of the woods. It's a village in a neighboring town and people who are familiar with the area would know it. There's a lot of traffic from NYC to that area.

I suppose signing "Hanover NH" would be more on the nose for that one though....

It already is, at the exit in question...

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 16, 2023, 01:16:20 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 15, 2023, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 15, 2023, 05:28:03 PM
I can't imagine Vermont using a New Hampshire city as a control.

Hmmm.... I-89 uses Concord, I-93 uses Littleton.
Unless you're refering specific to I-91.

A thought just occured to me...

Did Mass ever sign I-91 with a control city of "NH - VT" like they did in the eastern half of the state with "NH - Maine"?  I don't think they did, but its something that would have been completely applicable, given that most of the exits on I-91 in VT share a NH control city, whether on a primary or secondary sign.  "Brattleboro/Keene", "Westminster/Walpole", "Springfield/Charlestown", "Norwich/Hanover", etc etc.

Claremont is a regional center for the southern part of the Upper Valley (or northern part of whatever is south of the Upper Valley) so it should probably be a control city on I-91. But yeah, I don't see Vermont signing an NH city on I-91.

What do you mean?  Shadyjay just mentioned SEVERAL examples of VTrans using a NH city on I-91 guide signage.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2023, 03:40:29 PM
On I-91 we get signed for White River JCT, VT obviously indicating I-89 also Vermont doesn't sign Springfield and becomes very greedy with its control cities sometimes also because I-91's last big "city" is Greenfield, MA after that we just head directly for Canada

WRJ is also helpful for people who might be visiting a certain Ivy League school up in that neck of the woods. It's a village in a neighboring town and people who are familiar with the area would know it. There's a lot of traffic from NYC to that area.

I suppose signing "Hanover NH" would be more on the nose for that one though....

Did Mass ever sign I-91 with a control city of "NH - VT" like they did in the eastern half of the state with "NH - Maine"?  I don't think they did, but its something that would have been completely applicable, given that most of the exits on I-91 in VT share a NH control city, whether on a primary or secondary sign.  "Brattleboro/Keene", "Westminster/Walpole", "Springfield/Charlestown", "Norwich/Hanover", etc etc.

Claremont is a regional center for the southern part of the Upper Valley (or northern part of whatever is south of the Upper Valley) so it should probably be a control city on I-91. But yeah, I don't see Vermont signing an NH city on I-91.

What do you mean?  Shadyjay just mentioned SEVERAL examples of VTrans using a NH city on I-91 guide signage.

Trusting a guy named "Shadyjay" seems like a fragile proposition.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

shadyjay

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2023, 04:21:32 PM

What, do we not recall the 'shadyjay.com' empire? 

Here's my 2004 I-91 exit listings, complete with NH referenced several times on I-91 signage.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050225215615/http://www.shadyjay.com/NET/listings/interstate/i-91.htm

Alps

Dude, he's better known than you are.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2023, 09:42:44 PM

I don't doubt it.  Shady people tend to be.  I mean, just look at Eminem.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2023, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2023, 09:42:44 PM

I don't doubt it.  Shady people tend to be.  I mean, just look at Eminem.
Please stand up.

The Nature Boy

I would differentiate exit signage from control city signage here. The ambiguity is my fault. I don't think there's an instance of an NH city being used as a control city. My understanding is that the I-91 control cities in VT are Brattleboro, WRJ, St. Johnsbury, and Newport.

shadyjay

Took a drive today to hit up some more rail-trail mileage in the Keene area.  Heading up MA 12, just coming into Winchendon MA, a "pull-thru" paddle sign caught my eye.  It said "12 NORTH / Keene NH / Bellows Falls VT".  So there ya go, MA signed VT on a 2-lane road when VT is 2 states away!  I didn't get a picture (wasn't expecting it) and don't see it on StreetView as that dates back to 2019 when most of the "paddles" didn't have a traditional route marker (just the number).  The one I saw today looked relatively new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.