AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Other than Springfield and Washington what are popular city or town names?  (Read 5679 times)

michravera

• Last Login: Today at 10:18:19 PM
Re: Other than Springfield and Washington what are popular city or town names?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 10:13:12 AM »

I would say that Clinton and Columbia are quite popular.

With only 40 non-living presidents and 365 days of the year, more things get named for presidents than feast days. In the Latin World, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Italian explorers, after naming features for all of the important people in their parties, often resorted to naming features after the feast day on which they were discovered (or near which they were discovered or named). Nacimiento Lake was named for Christmas, Ano Neuvo Beach for New Year's Day, and San/ta almost-everything for the feast day.

This results in a lot of duplication amongst California, Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico or the Caribbean. Occasionally, there are masculine vs. feminine forms and mild shifts in local pronunciation owing to dialectical differences either at the time of naming or the progress of the local accent.

As an aside: A city in Texas and California sharing the last 8 letters in common that don't rhyme ....

Amarillo and Camarillo.

golden eagle

• Last Login: December 23, 2023, 09:21:53 PM

There’s quite a few Decaturs.

nexus73

• Last Login: Today at 09:05:54 AM

In Oregon as well as Minnesota, there is a Cottage Grove.  In Oregon there is a Pleasant Hill.  Go to Utah and see what happens when the names get mixed.  You wind up with Pleasant Grove!

In Oregon, Springfield and Albany are larger (for our state) cities and they are 40 miles apart.  Louisiana has the same two names but those are small towns only 6 miles apart.

In Oregon, Salem is the state capital. Utah's Salem is a small town. 

Ontario is in Eastern Oregon.  Ontario as a province is in Eastern Canada.  Ontario as a large suburban (to LA) city is in SoCal.

Want the Bends?  Oregon has a Bend and a North Bend.  The first is in Central Oregon and the second is on the southern coast.  Washington has a North Bend and it is in ski country.  Nebraska has a North Bend along the Platte River as I recall.  Indiana has a South Bend, home to Notre Dame's Fighting Irish.

If I had to guess which Oregon incorporated city names would be found the most outside the Beaver State, the two I would go with would be Lakeside and Lakeview.  There are a lot of lakes in the USA after all!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 09:53:30 PM

^^ There is also a Cottage Grove WI, along with West Bend in WI

nexus73

• Last Login: Today at 09:05:54 AM

^^ There is also a Cottage Grove WI, along with West Bend in WI

Kewl beans!  Wisconsin also has a Marshfield, which is the city of Coos Bay's original name (changed in 1943).  Oregon's Milwaukie is a bit different than Wisconsin's Milwaukee.  I wonder why they are spelled differently?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: January 30, 2022, 01:22:55 AM

Well there Pittsburgh, PA...along with Pittsburg, NH and Pittsburg, KS.

Connecticut is nearly uniform with each county having a town or city with the same name:

Litchfield
Hartford
Tolland
Windham
Fairfield
New Haven
Middlesex (closest match is Middletown)
New London

inkyatari

• Widen I-80 through all of Illinois!

• Last Login: April 02, 2022, 10:41:13 PM
    • Pie Factory Podcast - Classic Arcade gaming talk

I'd say Plainfield is fairly popular.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

dvferyance

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 02:32:51 PM

I would say that Clinton and Columbia are quite popular.
Right but the Clinton has nothing to do with the President. They were named long before.

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 09:53:30 PM

Another one is Pulaski, with 7 counties and plenty of locations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulaski

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.