News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's the best computer brand and what's the best price?

Started by tolbs17, October 06, 2021, 10:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best computer brands

Dell
4 (18.2%)
HP
9 (40.9%)
ASUS
7 (31.8%)
Acer
2 (9.1%)
Lenovo
4 (18.2%)
Or switch to Apple?
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Scott5114

Sounds like you'd probably better start knowing about those settings then.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 08, 2021, 07:43:54 PM
Sounds like you'd probably better start knowing about those settings then.
I ain't no expert at computers trust me. Maybe I'll ask some technician or just Google it.

In_Correct

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 06, 2021, 10:28:49 PM
Since we are talking about Windows 11 and my computer (and I'm sure others as well) doesn't support it, I wanted to make this thread because my computer is 8 years old and I think it's about time to upgrade soon.

What's the best computer brand and what's the best price for it?

When I was looking at the prices, it seems like $400 is what I see the most.

For me, I'll vote Dell and HP. ASUS seems a little too expensive and I'm not too crazy into gaming.

You can vote twice.

I voted for H.P. ... I usually spend $ 700.00 U.S.D. or $ 800 U.S.D. with A.M.D. Hardware, all the processor cores available, largest hard drive, largest screen, and largest keyboard. Particularly if it is desktop, even an All In One Desktop, I plug in to a Halo.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 06, 2021, 11:28:25 PM
All my votes would go to Commodore due to a pretty assort of classic games that were on the Commodore 64.

My second vote is Acer, the closest thing possible to a Commodore.

The operating system would need to be MorphOS which is available on rogue Hardwares such as Ancient Apple Computers after they stopped native boot support for Ancient Operating System 9.2.2 all the remaining Pre - Intel ones can have native boot support for MorphOS. Some of the decisions they made are silly and difficult for people to Adopt such as the No Sleep Mode, No Hibernate Mode, and restricted functionality as a result of forced Emulation for Legacy Softwares.

AROS is another that resembles Commodore / Amiga. Both of them are much more stable than any operating system Apple ever made, and with wasted potential. They certainly know what to do, as they are the opposite of Junk Operating Systems and Junk Web Browsers. They make Web Browsers that do what they need to do with out stupid little cartoons dancing around the screen. Also the Apple computers are the first ones to stop making spare parts.

Linux

I do not want to wither away on Linux. Even if most of the A.R.O.S. versions are actually Linux.

Raspberry Pi is another one to be considered.

Pi Devices, with native boot support for R.I.S.C. O.S. which is also much better and is despite having zero connections to Commodore / Amiga, it resembles them as they are not a Junk Operating System and Junk Web Browsers also.

Apple.

They ought to go to the past and stay there. It is not easy to have Ancient Apple Computers as they do not make spare parts, unlike Commodores and Amigas which can last for ever.

And I shall never buy any silly new nor recent Apple Computer ... have been this way for very long time. Much too expensive and no longer worth the expense. They seem to have nothing significant about them except for Bloated Softwares that are obsolete the moment you open them.

Perhaps I shall buy more Ancient Apple Computers for Ancient Operating System 9.2.2 and hope that they do not wear out.

Apple has not for the longest time been the superior computer to have. There are other choices such as MorphOS, AROS, and R.I.S.C. O.S. ... at least for personal computing. These three have yet to make any Server Editions.

QuoteCustom Build Laptops

It is necessary for me to make one with a 3D Printer to be able to fit The Necessary Hardware.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

In_Correct

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 08, 2021, 07:40:41 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on October 08, 2021, 07:31:30 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 08, 2021, 05:32:30 PM
OMG useless... Help me... I ran into this issue this afternoon and now I can't get back in...  :banghead:

Are you saying clicking on Restart or Advanced Options does nothing?
If I click on Restart, it shows the same screen and if I go to Advance Options, it shows me the settings that I DON'T know about!

Your only Option is to click on Advanced. Please take a picture of it.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

kkt

Quote from: Ned Weasel on October 07, 2021, 09:17:27 PM
IBM.

Oh wait, they don't make PCs anymore.  How the hell does IBM not make PCs anymore?  That would be like if Ford suddenly stopped making sedans.

No, it wouldn't.  The PC was never more than a sideline for IBM's real business - large mainframes for big jobs for big companies.
It would be as if Peterbilt made sedans for a while and then sold that product line off.

tolbs17

Quote from: In_Correct on October 08, 2021, 07:53:16 PM
OMG useless... Help me... I ran into this issue this afternoon and now I can't get back in...  :banghead:

If I click on Restart, it shows the same screen and if I go to Advance Options, it shows me the settings that I DON'T know about!

Apparently after leaving it on for a few hours, that screen went away. I'm back onto my logon screen. It must have been a firmware issue. That laptop is nearly 10 years old anyway.

hotdogPi

Interestingly, there was a problem (not actually a problem) with my Mac. I was running a Python script on a program with unlimited undo and redo. I didn't realize this was taking up memory. My x key wasn't working for an unrelated reason, so I brought it to the Genius Bar to fix that issue, unaware of the memory issue. I restarted it, and it was stuck halfway at the loading screen. I received it back in a few days with a new keyboard (individual keys can't be replaced for some reason). As far as I knew, they also fixed the halfway loading bug, even though it wasn't listed with what they fixed. Not knowing what caused it, I continued to run the program, and I got a "2.5 GB left" warning (using about 40). I closed the application. Up to 8-10. I restarted the computer, and of course, it went back to halfway again. System diagnostics were available. I called support, and they wanted me to reinstall the OS. It turns out that it requires 28 GB of free space to reinstall, but I only had 15. Not 12, but 15. I mentioned this to the person on the other side of the line and asked if the memory will slowly come back over time. She said it was a good idea. It turned out that that was exactly correct – I periodically turned off the computer, turned it on in diagnostics mode, and clicked some menu options to start reinstalling (but not to confirm), as this was the only way to see how much memory I had. The amount of free space was going up. I planned on leaving it on the loading screen overnight, but this wasn't necessary; the entire process took about 5 hours.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

DenverBrian

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 08, 2021, 08:00:59 PM
Quote from: In_Correct on October 08, 2021, 07:53:16 PM

Apparently after leaving it on for a few hours, that screen went away. I'm back onto my logon screen. It must have been a firmware issue. That laptop is nearly 10 years old anyway.
Cool. Before it happens again, Google "windows automatic repair advanced options" and get some knowledge in your noggin. Also, if it does happen again, it appears you can either wait a few hours to see if it resolves again (it is likely NOT a firmware issue), or press and hold your power key until the laptop shuts down, and then start it up again. Most of the time this will correct a stalled repair situation - at least in my experience.

New laptop: Try Costco, where you can handle and play with the available options. Decent pricing and 90-day return policy.

ZLoth

Best computer brand? Dunno. A couple of questions....

• Desktop computer or laptop computer?
  • What is your use case?
  • Do you intend on using it for gaming?
  • Can you wait until next year?

For my standpoint, I prefer to build assemble my own desktops, with Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI being my go-to brands for motherboards. I tend to build my computers to last, which explains why my current desktop computer was assembled in 2014, although the storage was upgraded to a bigger drive and the video card upgraded from a nVidia 980 to a 1080. The problem at the moment is the component shortage... good video cards are hard to come by at the moment. I am personally waiting until next year when DDR5 memory comes out. I really wanted to replace my desktop sooner, but some home repairs got in the way.

As for laptops... I know my workplace uses Lenovos. I'm a little hesitant about gaming laptops. As normal computers, they're OK, but because they are power-hungry when playing some days, you have to hook them up to AC power.... which kinda defeats the purpose of having a laptop. And, since they're not really upgradable beyond memory and storage (maybe), they are obsolete a bit sooner.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bing101

Chromebooks for school and work reasons if you intend to stay on Google only venues or Docs.
But if you plan to use it for coding then go modify a non Apple Macbook or a non Chromebook and run a Linux distro or a BSD distro and program away.

tolbs17

Quote from: bing101 on October 10, 2021, 07:46:38 PM
Chromebooks for school and work reasons if you intend to stay on Google only venues or Docs.
But if you plan to use it for coding then go modify a non Apple Macbook or a non Chromebook and run a Linux distro or a BSD distro and program away.
I play lots of games so Chromebooks aren't the best option for me.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: ZLoth on October 10, 2021, 02:35:31 PMAs for laptops... I know my workplace uses Lenovos. I'm a little hesitant about gaming laptops. As normal computers, they're OK, but because they are power-hungry when playing some days, you have to hook them up to AC power.... which kinda defeats the purpose of having a laptop. And, since they're not really upgradable beyond memory and storage (maybe), they are obsolete a bit sooner.

On the 'kinda defeats the purpose of having a laptop"...I think that somewhat depends on why a user has the laptop.  In my case, I'm more concerned about portability than being unplugged.

One other disadvantage of "gaming laptops" is their size.  I recently upgraded my laptop to a "gaming laptop".  I got this particular model (from Xidax, a boutique shop that builds desktops to order, and similarly customizes laptops) because it was the most economical way to get the specs I wanted (at least 64GB RAM, at least 2TB of SSD/NVMe hard drive, and an RTX video card)....but when it arrived, I was surprised by how physically large it is despite it only having a 15" display.

Bruce

I went with weight and portability over specs and don't regret it much. My laptop (a last-gen LG Gram) is under 3 lbs but has a 17" display and a full-size keyboard. It's got some heating issues (a given for its profile) but is otherwise decent enough.

tolbs17

Quote from: Bruce on October 11, 2021, 01:57:22 AM
I went with weight and portability over specs and don't regret it much. My laptop (a last-gen LG Gram) is under 3 lbs but has a 17" display and a full-size keyboard. It's got some heating issues (a given for its profile) but is otherwise decent enough.
I think all LG devices are known for overheating...that's why I stay away from them.

zachary_amaryllis

All my votes would go to Commodore due to a pretty assort of classic games that were on the Commodore 64.

nerd.

says ex- TRS-80 guy.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 07, 2021, 12:56:15 PM

LOAD "FROGGER",8,1

Chris

i remember what the 8 is for, but what's the 1 (long time ago)?

iirc, couldn't you run programs in the drive itself, like, it had its own processor and some ram?
clinched:

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: bing101 on October 07, 2021, 08:07:26 PM
Intel Nucs are the best in my view because you can modify parts such as SSD's and RAM to run on Linux distros such as Ubuntu, debian, Red Hat or Manjaro.
Raspberry Pi is another one to be considered.

my desktop is a NUC, bought it at the pawnshop for $80, and runs beautifully under kubuntu. faster than blazes, too.

only complaint, is mine only has one hdmi-out, and i haven't worked out the details of using the thunderbolt port for video.i saw a doohickey at walmart, but it required windows.
clinched:

catch22

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 11, 2021, 03:59:48 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 07, 2021, 12:56:15 PM

LOAD "FROGGER",8,1

Chris

i remember what the 8 is for, but what's the 1 (long time ago)?

iirc, couldn't you run programs in the drive itself, like, it had its own processor and some ram?

The default is to load the program at the start of the BASIC memory space.  Adding the "1" means "load the program into the memory space starting at the location defined by the first two bytes of the file."  Used by machine language programs (most games were like this).

The drive did have its own processor, and (if memory serves) some copy protection schemes used this feature.

tolbs17

I might consider switching to HP since it has the most votes and they are only like $350 bucks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.