News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

An AAROADS poster quoted by the Washington Post

Started by cpzilliacus, December 24, 2013, 04:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Nicely done, Hoo!

Travel advice for holiday eve getaways

QuoteIf you're planning to swing west and take Route 29 to Route 17 before coming back to I-95 around Fredericksburg, frequent commenter 1995hoo notes that there's a new traffic pattern to get onto Route 17. Driving southbound through Opal on Route 29, the new exit is on right after the traffic light.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

I actually found that informative. Why the heck are the I-95 HOV lanes going to be southbound all day Jan 1st? The past couple of years they were setup northbound. So much for smooth sailing as usual for me.

1995hoo

Funny thing is, this time I sent him the info via Twitter when we were on the way to Florida last month. Credibility matters!

Edited to add: Dr. Gridlock and I have spoken often enough that last year he had a colleague interview me for a story in the paper. I was quoted using my "non-forum name." The reporter characterized me as someone "interested in transportation issues" (or something similar). My family thought that was an understatement and gave me no small amount of shit about it!  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 24, 2013, 05:01:16 PM
I actually found that informative. Why the heck are the I-95 HOV lanes going to be southbound all day Jan 1st? The past couple of years they were setup northbound. So much for smooth sailing as usual for me.

Agreed that it makes little sense for them to be pointed south on the 1st of January.  They ought to be flipped around to northbound operation sometime after midnight.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

My guess would be it's due to people partying in the city New Years Eve, then leaving the city after midnight, which will indicate the heaviest flow would be on 95 South.

For a holiday, especially during the rest of the day when traffic volumes are more equal both directions throughout the day, it makes sense to pick a direction and leave them open throughout the day for that direction.  At least the lanes will be open all day long, unlike during a typical weekday when the lanes would have to be shut down during a portion of the day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.