News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MD-41 Perring Parkway unbuilt portions

Started by talllguy, November 03, 2014, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talllguy

Greetings. At my office I do occasionally stumble across some interesting land transfers that indicated failed roads project. One that has been particularly interesting to me lately is Perring Parkway. Read up on Perring Parkway on AAroadsor MDroads if you've never driven it.

I have wondered why it was cancelled north of the Baltimore Beltway for some time. In my research, I haven't been able to find any articles as to why it was cancelled, but I did find studies to extend MD-43 White Marsh Blvd to meet it from 1974. The proposed route of MD-43 would have transected the Perry Hall community and intersected "Perring Freeway" around Factory Rd near the Gunpowder River.

I made a map of the routes and have links to the PDF classified advertisements published by SHA in the 1970s in an evernote doc (link). Thoughts?

Also, I'm baffled as to the small triangle parcel at the south end of Summit Ave that is specifically reserved for Perring Parkway. Perhaps the original plan had it going to Harford Road. Anyone have any insight here?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

talllguy

NE2 (the legend), yes I have looked at the plats. In fact the one you mentioned is linked in the Evernote document. :) I also have added a list of all the plats in the MD-41 contract. (At the county we have 99% of all county subdivision plats mapped, which was quite an undertaking). It is good to see that someone is interested in this stuff.

Laura

Elliott, you are the best!!!!!

I had wondered about this for SO LONG but couldn't get access to the environmental impact statement here because of copyright blocks: http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011931330

Like NE2, my guess for the Summit Ave piece is that it is leftover from a former alignment. The alignment in the 1971 newspaper clipping looks like it runs further south, closer to Summit Ave. Or, it could be a leftover piece from another parcel? Weirdly enough, that parcel keeps the two Summit Avenues from connecting.

Now I understand why the lane on the SE corner of Belair and Necker has "No Trespassing State Highway Administration" signs posted. I had always thought it was land that was going to be used for an interchange with MD 43 and Belair Road, but didn't realize that the road was going to curve drastically north like that. Does that explain the phantom interchange that some maps from that time period had, or was that interchange meant for Walther Blvd?

This actually makes my life much easier for my Baltimore Highways ("Highway City") presentation and paper for my History of City and Regional Planning course. Is there anyway you could make your Evernote page a PDF?

Also, mods, can you please move this to Mid-Atlantic?

ETA: Weirdly, the alignment would have cut through Vollmert Avenue (off of Necker), which explains part of how and why that got developed the way it did (middle of road left to nature, new development provided new access road to property at the end).

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

talllguy

Quote from: Laura on November 06, 2014, 10:06:23 PM

I had wondered about this for SO LONG but couldn't get access to the environmental impact statement here because of copyright blocks: http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011931330

Thanks Laura. Glad you found this useful. I will look for that FHA document too!

Laura

Quote from: talllguy on November 07, 2014, 12:23:33 AM
Quote from: Laura on November 06, 2014, 10:06:23 PM

Thanks Laura. Glad you found this useful. I will look for that FHA document too!

It has been very useful and has solved a huge mystery for me that I drive on and by every single day.

Thanks in advance for looking for the FHA document for me!

TheOneKEA

Thank you for doing this!! I have always wondered why MD 41 was never extended further north in any form and why it ended so abruptly.

The road could even still be extended today; the right-of-way immediately beyond the northern terminus is still open all the way to Proctor Lane. You'd never be able to extend it any further though, since the only thing such an extension would be good for is to take some traffic from MD 147 Harford Road.

Laura

It could be extended to at least Old Harford Rd, hooking into "Perring Road" (off of Summit Ave) in the process.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.