News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arlington Streetcar Project Cancelled

Started by Mapmikey, November 18, 2014, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Both the Columbia Pike and Crystal City Streetcar endeavors are cancelled...

Wonder if VDOT will re-establish VA 244 over the portions of Columbia Pike that were going to have the streetcars...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/arlington-officials-major-announcement-on-columbia-pike-streetcar-project-at-noon/2014/11/18/ce2a8170-6f38-11e4-8808-afaa1e3a33ef_story.html?wpisrc=al_locmisc

The decision appears to be directly related to the results of the recent County Board election where an anti-streetcar candidate running on that issue won and the pro-streetcar candidate lost.

Mapmikey

oscar

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 18, 2014, 12:38:01 PM
Wonder if VDOT will re-establish VA 244 over the portions of Columbia Pike that were going to have the streetcars...

VA 244 is still well-signed at the interchange with VA 27, even with the ongoing reconstruction there.  The streetcar would've run through that interchange on Columbia Pike. 

I might comment on the streetcar project cancellation in the separate thread over at "Mass Transit". 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Pete from Boston

Two threads going on about this.  Merge?

oscar

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 18, 2014, 01:49:36 PM
Two threads going on about this.  Merge?

Since this one focuses on the impact on roads, I think that's unnecessary, so long as the transit discussion stays in the other thread.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

WillWeaverRVA

Was the truncation of VA 244 contingent on the construction of the streetcar line?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 18, 2014, 03:05:39 PM
Was the truncation of VA 244 contingent on the construction of the streetcar line?

It was related (as I understand it). 

I speculate that VDOT did not want to maintain a highway that also had rails for a street railway embedded in it.

As others (Mapmikey?) pointed out a while back, the far east section (Between Va. 27 (Washington Boulevard) and Va. 27 near the Pentagon is still state-maintained, as is the western part in Fairfax County. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 18, 2014, 03:11:16 PM

As others (Mapmikey?) pointed out a while, the far east section (Between Va. 27 (Washington Boulevard) and Va. 27 near the Pentagon is still state-maintained, as is the western part in Fairfax County. 

This is correct.  The traffic logs show 0.37 miles of VA 244 existing from VA 27 Pentagon Rd westward.

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.