News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

End US 17, Winchester VA

Started by usends, March 03, 2010, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Someone just sent me some new photos and info.  Through downtown there used to be a one-way couplet consisting of Cameron and Braddock streets, but now (after about 50 years) those have both been converted back to two-way streets.  These days there are very few US 17 signs west of I-81, but apparently US 17 still comes in via Millwood, and then turns north onto Cameron.  There is a new "End US 17" sign on Cameron between Clifford and Cork... and directly across the street, for traffic going south, there is a "Begin US 17" sign.  Does anyone have access to resources that can answer my questions: does US 17 really end at Cork (VA 657)?  Has it been that way ever since US 17 was extended to Winchester in 1965?  If not, does anyone know the historic endpoint(s) of US 17 in Winchester?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

froggie

http://www.vahighways.com/route-log/us017.htm

In a nutshell, the terminus has long been at Milwood and Cameron.  I'll ping Mike to see if he's noticed anything in the CTB minutes, but I'd hazard a bet that any new signs along Cameron are error signs.

Mapmikey

I have seen nothing in the CTB minutes regarding a change in the routing of US 17.

At this point I would treat that as an error until further evidence arises (upcoming CTB reference or the 2009 traffic log shows it when it comes out).

I also went to the Winchester Star's website but they don't appear to have a search function.

Winchester has had error postings before - in the early 90s there was a US 17 ALT posting on US 17-50-522 a little west of I-81.  Right now there is a US 11 ALT shield on Washington Ave SB approaching Handley Blvd.  The current street view is a little fuzzy if the banner has been changed to "TO" but here is the picture I took in 2006

Mapmikey

usends

According to the new signs, the routing of US 50 through town has been changed as well - westbound traffic is now directed to use Cork instead of Picadilly...
http://usends.com/10-19/017/017.html
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Mapmikey

Given the apparent rerouting of US 50 that makes it more likely it is real. 

However, Fredericksburg changed the posted routing of US 17 Business several years ago and I've still seen no evidence the change occurred officially (maps, traffic log or CTB).  So it is still possible it is not an "official" change.

I found a Jan 1960 CTB description of the primary routes in Winchester.  However, because VA 17 had no independent mileage, it was not actually listed (the same was true for VA 7 which was 100% duplexed with US 340 ALT at that time).

I also note that the new postings are not cutouts...

I will keep an eye open for documentary evidence of these changes...

Mapmikey

froggie

Took a swing through Winchester this afternoon to document the signage changes.  Will discuss it with Mike and hopefully get clarification from VDOT, after which, I'll post the results here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.