News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maryland route shields - varying specs

Started by mcmc, August 08, 2012, 02:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcmc

Maryland has a bunch of different types of state highway route shields on its roads with varying designs and specs. Can anyone explain the differences between the various types: When they were used/discontinued, what situations they're used in, etc. Basically, why are there so many different types of shields out there?

I'll post a few of the most common types of shields. I've assigned them names (Type A, B, C) for ease of reference. Any information is appreciated:

"Type A - Straight corners/neutered"

"Type B - Slightly rounded corners/with state name"

"Type C - Very rounded corners/neutered"

"Type D - Very rounded corners/with state name"

"Type E - Straight corners/big/thick black border"

"Type F - Straight corners/small/thick black border"

"Type G - Straight corners/thick black border/neutered"

I'm sure there are more...

deathtopumpkins

There exist separate neutered and state-named shields because the neutered ones are used on BGSes while the state-named ones are used as standalones. This is standard for almost all states that have text in their route shields.

As for the other ones, I think the issue is more contractor errors or a lack of standardized official design that resulted in the slightly different line widths and corner roundings.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 08, 2012, 08:32:10 AM
There exist separate neutered and state-named shields because the neutered ones are used on BGSes while the state-named ones are used as standalones. This is standard for almost all states that have text in their route shields.

The first neutered Maryland shield I ever saw was when the  Capital Beltway was completed in 1964, and all of the BGSs along it used neutered shields (for U.S. routes as well - Maryland U.S. shields were still very common around the state back then).

Though in other parts of the state, shields were frequently not used on BGSs in the 1960's (the JFK Highway comes to mind) - often the signs would read "Md." followed by the route number instead.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 08, 2012, 09:39:07 AM

The first neutered Maryland shield I ever saw was when the  Capital Beltway was completed in 1964, and all of the BGSs along it used neutered shields (for U.S. routes as well - Maryland U.S. shields were still very common around the state back then).

Though in other parts of the state, shields were frequently not used on BGSs in the 1960's (the JFK Highway comes to mind) - often the signs would read "Md." followed by the route number instead.

interesting - I had heard 1966 was when Maryland dropped the state-named US route style.

I wonder how old these shields in Baltimore are. 

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 08, 2012, 12:14:58 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 08, 2012, 09:39:07 AM

interesting - I had heard 1966 was when Maryland dropped the state-named US route style.

On the Capital Beltway, there were never any state-named U.S. shields posted for intersecting U.S. highways (there were not that many - 50, 1, 29 and 240 [Md. 355 today]).

But those shields survived long for many years after that - I recall seeing them around into the 1970's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 08, 2012, 03:56:39 PM

But those shields survived long for many years after that - I recall seeing them around into the 1970's.

I know of two that survive as of 2010.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 08, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 08, 2012, 03:56:39 PM

I know of two that survive as of 2010.
As of 2012, even.
And for the topic at hand... style 8 is all over my MD 2 page. That's Baltimore-specific, though.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on August 15, 2012, 10:55:54 PM
The fully neutered variant:

that westbound shield is about as neutered as it gets!  :ded:

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on August 15, 2012, 10:55:54 PM
The fully neutered variant:

Not sure if this isn't just everything except the 2 having peeled off of the sign, since most signs of that age do have MARYLAND above (like the old US 40 signs at 151 pre-patching).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.