News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best route from Miami area to Michigan

Started by Flint1979, April 25, 2021, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I already started. I took I-95 up to I-26 and then to I-77 I'm about 60 miles south of Charlotte right now. I-95 was ok not great but there was a lot of traffic. I think I-26 was the worst though with miles of left lane hogging by everyone. So far I-77 has been pretty good. I'm thinking of taking this up to US-33 then over to Columbus.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2021, 05:21:04 PM
I already started. I took I-95 up to I-26 and then to I-77 I'm about 60 miles south of Charlotte right now. I-95 was ok not great but there was a lot of traffic. I think I-26 was the worst though with miles of left lane hogging by everyone. So far I-77 has been pretty good. I'm thinking of taking this up to US-33 then over to Columbus.

Welcome to South Carolina.

kevinb1994

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 28, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2021, 05:21:04 PM

Welcome to South Carolina.
More accurately, South of the Border ;)

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 28, 2021, 08:59:54 AM
Don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet...

It is of course 1-2 hr longer but what about Fla Tpk, I-75, I-10, US 231 to I-65 to Indianapolis then whatever highway gets you to the part of Michigan you are going to?

Benefits of avoiding Atlanta, Columbia SC or Charlotte and also Cincinnati.  Also avoids any actual mountains.  Picks up Birmingham, Nashville and Louisville instead...

The benefit is in avoiding Louisville, not seeking it out.

Be aware that the Brent Spence Bridge is now down to just one lane after an incident last week where a vehicle hit the paint containment netting and knocked an employee off the platform (he's OK, thankfully).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Ok US-33 vs. US-35 coming from I-77 going back to Michigan which route would be the better route? I've been on 33 for stretches in Virginia but I don't know much about it west of I-77. I know 35 is a good route in Ohio but not aware of how it is towards it's southern terminus.

Flint1979

I took I-77 up through Charlotte and there was about a 10 minute delay just north of I-485 on the south side of it. Google Maps still routed me through it and not onto I-485 around the west side of Charlotte. I was wondering why but 77 was ok after the 10 minute delay and had a few pockets of slowdowns through Charlotte but wasn't too bad. I'm in Statesville right now spending the night. I spent two days driving around South Florida as well.

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2021, 07:40:28 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 28, 2021, 08:59:54 AM
Don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet...

It is of course 1-2 hr longer but what about Fla Tpk, I-75, I-10, US 231 to I-65 to Indianapolis then whatever highway gets you to the part of Michigan you are going to?

Benefits of avoiding Atlanta, Columbia SC or Charlotte and also Cincinnati.  Also avoids any actual mountains.  Picks up Birmingham, Nashville and Louisville instead...

The benefit is in avoiding Louisville, not seeking it out.

Be aware that the Brent Spence Bridge is now down to just one lane after an incident last week where a vehicle hit the paint containment netting and knocked an employee off the platform (he's OK, thankfully).
I now have Cincinnati bypassed as well and won't be going through there. I'll be going through Columbus instead and I'm ok with that. Last time I drove through Columbus was on a Friday and the traffic was fine for the most part that night.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2021, 08:39:41 PM
Ok US-33 vs. US-35 coming from I-77 going back to Michigan which route would be the better route? I've been on 33 for stretches in Virginia but I don't know much about it west of I-77. I know 35 is a good route in Ohio but not aware of how it is towards it's southern terminus.

US-35 has about 15 miles of two-lane road near its southern end in West Virginia and then it's four-lane divided highway, with speed limits varying from 60 mph to 70 mph, all the way to just east of Dayton. Very good road. The short segment of two-land road should not pose a problem.

I've used US-33 between Columbus and Athens (connecting to US-50 on our way back east), but that was in October 2012 so my experience may no longer be valid. I know they finished the Nelsonville bypass, so I suspect the road is better now than it was then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: GaryV on April 28, 2021, 09:50:03 AM
What is US 82 like between Tifton and Montgomery?

Then from Louisville you could decide to go via Cincinnati and Toledo, or Indy, Ft Wayne and Lansing.

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2021, 11:44:27 AM
I recall it mostly being a two-lane road, at least in Alabama. US-231 would likely be a better option for someone towing a trailer.

It's a straight shot from Albany to Columbus, but the main road has several numbers.  You'll take US-82 from Tifton to Albany, then US-82 hops onto the northeast section of the Albany Bypass (Liberty Expressway).  At Dawson, the main road turns into GA-520.  At Richland, US-280 hops on the main road (now Richland Bypass).  Stay on US-280 and you won't run out of partially limited access highway until just before you get to Opelika, Alabama.  The bypass takes US-280 onto the I-85 southbound for a short piece, and then you'll fight traffic lights on the west side of Opelika for a few miles before you hit the Birmingham Highway (still US-280) which will take you partially limited access all the way, except for several short stretches of four-lane undivided around Dadeville, Childersburg and Harpersville.  US-280 can be a mess getting close to Birmingham, but you'll probably make it in about the same time as going I-75 to I-20 unless you hit the Perimeter on a perfect day (or night).

VTGoose

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2021, 08:43:13 PM
I took I-77 up through Charlotte and there was about a 10 minute delay just north of I-485 on the south side of it. Google Maps still routed me through it and not onto I-485 around the west side of Charlotte. I was wondering why but 77 was ok after the 10 minute delay and had a few pockets of slowdowns through Charlotte but wasn't too bad. I'm in Statesville right now spending the night. I spent two days driving around South Florida as well.

A 10-minute delay is actually quite good for Charlotte -- sometimes the delay can stretch much longer. Glad you didn't have any other issues on I-77 through the city. Depending on the time of day, phase of the moon, the way the wind is blowing, and who knows what else travel can be easy or harrowing. The big difference between 77 and 485 is the number of lanes and better exits -- some of the on- and off-ramps on 77 are short and/or close together and people tend to weave across lanes at the last minute to hit an exit ramp.

As to I-26, it too is a major pain. In all our travels up and down it, some trips just outright sucked (same for I-95) in South Carolina. It was almost impossible to stay in the right lane due to those traveling under the speed limit and it was a problem to run in the left lane, even at 75-78 MPH because of the people who thought no one should get in their way of traveling in excess of 85 MPH. Sorry, but I'm not going to move right and lock up my brakes to slow to 55 just to make your life easier -- I'll move when there is appropriate room in the right lane.

When you are on I-77 not too far into West Virginia and pass the exit for WV 112, wave toward your passenger window and I'll be sure to wave back from over several ridges at home in Blacksburg.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

hbelkins

The two-lane section of US 33 in Ohio is better than the two-lane section of US 35 in West Virginia.

My personal preference would be to avoid I-75, so that would mean switching from US 35 to US 23 at Chillicothe and taking OH 315 north to reconnect with 23 on the north side of Columbus (if I used that route) or probably the eastern loop of I-270 from US 33 to US 23 north if I used US 33.

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2021, 06:01:16 PM
The two-lane section of US 33 in Ohio is better than the two-lane section of US 35 in West Virginia.

My personal preference would be to avoid I-75, so that would mean switching from US 35 to US 23 at Chillicothe and taking OH 315 north to reconnect with 23 on the north side of Columbus (if I used that route) or probably the eastern loop of I-270 from US 33 to US 23 north if I used US 33.
I ended up taking US-35. It was fine as it's a freeway for it's first few miles in West Virginia and then the two lane stretch I got stuck behind a semi that was doing about 55 but I really didn't mind it and just set my cruise for 53. After I entered Ohio there was a speed trap where two Ohio state boys were sitting there waiting for someone to fly over the bridge and go nail them. I can't remember off the top of my head what the speed limit is there but I was just going with the flow and it was fine. That's basically what I did after Chillicothe I took US-23 up to Columbus then took OH-315 through Columbus and actually reconnected with US-23 at OH-315's northern terminus south of Delaware.

Flint1979

Quote from: VTGoose on April 29, 2021, 05:02:52 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2021, 08:43:13 PM

A 10-minute delay is actually quite good for Charlotte -- sometimes the delay can stretch much longer. Glad you didn't have any other issues on I-77 through the city. Depending on the time of day, phase of the moon, the way the wind is blowing, and who knows what else travel can be easy or harrowing. The big difference between 77 and 485 is the number of lanes and better exits -- some of the on- and off-ramps on 77 are short and/or close together and people tend to weave across lanes at the last minute to hit an exit ramp.

As to I-26, it too is a major pain. In all our travels up and down it, some trips just outright sucked (same for I-95) in South Carolina. It was almost impossible to stay in the right lane due to those traveling under the speed limit and it was a problem to run in the left lane, even at 75-78 MPH because of the people who thought no one should get in their way of traveling in excess of 85 MPH. Sorry, but I'm not going to move right and lock up my brakes to slow to 55 just to make your life easier -- I'll move when there is appropriate room in the right lane.

When you are on I-77 not too far into West Virginia and pass the exit for WV 112, wave toward your passenger window and I'll be sure to wave back from over several ridges at home in Blacksburg.

Bruce in Blacksburg
I thought it was pretty decent for how big Charlotte is and how much traffic there is going through there. I think going through downtown is bad because of those exits and entrances like you mentioned and I kept thinking it would route me onto I-485 but it never did. The only time I had a reroute on the entire trip was in Ohio and Michigan I had to take I-75 into Michigan when I'd normally take US-23 and took I-75 up to I-275 then to I-96 to get back to US-23 because of an accident in Michigan on 23.

I know what you are talking about with I-26 I dealt with that. The first few miles were fine coming off I-95 but then trucks kept clogging the left and right lanes and it was like why don't you just pass and get back in the right lane how hard is it? I kept thinking that and they'd be doing anywhere between about 55-65 mph I had my cruise set at 75 and couldn't even manage to do that speed it was ridiculous. I thought coming off 95 that 26 would be a little less stress but it wasn't and it's just crazy how these highways are clogged up with truck traffic that don't know how to drive.

LOL I'm waving a hand to ya as I drove by.

sprjus4

Sometimes with the trucks, your only reasonable option is to pass on the right when they sit in the left lane crawling up to eventually pass another truck on the right a whole mile ahead. I don't like weaving in and out, but sometimes it's the only option to get around continuously slow trucks and cars who want to drive the speed limit or below in the left lane and there's ample open space to the right.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 29, 2021, 09:09:49 PM

I ended up taking US-35. It was fine as it's a freeway for it's first few miles in West Virginia and then the two lane stretch I got stuck behind a semi that was doing about 55 but I really didn't mind it and just set my cruise for 53. After I entered Ohio there was a speed trap where two Ohio state boys were sitting there waiting for someone to fly over the bridge and go nail them. I can't remember off the top of my head what the speed limit is there but I was just going with the flow and it was fine. That's basically what I did after Chillicothe I took US-23 up to Columbus then took OH-315 through Columbus and actually reconnected with US-23 at OH-315's northern terminus south of Delaware.

If it's right after the bridge from West Virginia to Ohio, there's a "Speed Limit 70" sign right after the first exit in Ohio. I'm not sure whether technically it may be 65 prior to that sign, as the speed limit in West Virginia up to the bridge is 65.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 29, 2021, 10:37:44 PM
Sometimes with the trucks, your only reasonable option is to pass on the right when they sit in the left lane crawling up to eventually pass another truck on the right a whole mile ahead. I don't like weaving in and out, but sometimes it's the only option to get around continuously slow trucks and cars who want to drive the speed limit or below in the left lane and there's ample open space to the right.
What I do is I'll ride in the lane that has the farthest vehicle ahead of me so like if there is a car right ahead of me I'll switch to the lane with the biggest gap in cars. I don't like driving below the speed limit and most of the time like driving about 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit and I never have a problem with the cops or anything.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2021, 07:42:54 AM

If it's right after the bridge from West Virginia to Ohio, there's a "Speed Limit 70" sign right after the first exit in Ohio. I'm not sure whether technically it may be 65 prior to that sign, as the speed limit in West Virginia up to the bridge is 65.
That's strange that they'd have a speed trap where the speed limit increases. Seems like it'd be the other way around. I remember it starts out at 65 mph then drops to 55 mph for the two lane stretch.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 30, 2021, 07:48:51 AM

That's strange that they'd have a speed trap where the speed limit increases. Seems like it'd be the other way around. I remember it starts out at 65 mph then drops to 55 mph for the two lane stretch.

Right, it starts as 65, drops to 55 for the two-lane stretch, then goes back up to 65 when the road widens back out to four lanes again. I suspect–I don't know for sure, but it seems reasonable to me–that they might have found they can get some easy pickings from people who got frustrated while stuck behind slower traffic on the two-lane stretch who then floor it when the road widens and don't slow back down once they're clear of the slower traffic. Kind of stupid on those people's part–it's roughly 10 miles from where the road widens up to the state line, so they ought to be well clear of the slower traffic by then, plus there are (or at least there were last October) some bad dips in the road that should be a reason not to go too fast–but of course some people think they have to "make up lost time."

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2021, 09:55:25 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 30, 2021, 07:48:51 AM

Right, it starts as 65, drops to 55 for the two-lane stretch, then goes back up to 65 when the road widens back out to four lanes again. I suspect–I don't know for sure, but it seems reasonable to me–that they might have found they can get some easy pickings from people who got frustrated while stuck behind slower traffic on the two-lane stretch who then floor it when the road widens and don't slow back down once they're clear of the slower traffic. Kind of stupid on those people's part–it's roughly 10 miles from where the road widens up to the state line, so they ought to be well clear of the slower traffic by then, plus there are (or at least there were last October) some bad dips in the road that should be a reason not to go too fast–but of course some people think they have to "make up lost time."
Yeah and the two lane stretch is only 15 miles long so you're only slowed down for like 18-20 minutes. That makes some sense but like you said you have had a chance to pass for like 10 miles before you get to the border so that slow traffic should already be spread out. I never understand why people get so mad on the road but I do it too but the difference with me is I do it when it's legit I don't get mad every time I'm slowed down.

hbelkins

I know a lot of people complain about US 23 north of I-270 going up toward Delaware with the development and signals. I have never been on OH 315 north of I-270, but I know it goes immediately from freeway to two-lane road. Can you actually make better time on it than by shifting over to US 23?

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on May 01, 2021, 07:00:41 PM

I know a lot of people complain about US 23 north of I-270 going up toward Delaware with the development and signals. I have never been on OH 315 north of I-270, but I know it goes immediately from freeway to two-lane road. Can you actually make better time on it than by shifting over to US 23?
It's a pretty good two lane road through some developed areas and it goes near the Columbus Zoo but it's a a pretty good road it's kind of scenic as well. As far as time on it versus US-23 I think you make a little better time on 315. There are some signals on 315 though too I think there is one roundabout.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.