4.4 Earthquake Strikes Eastern Tennessee Early This Morning

Started by kevinb1994, December 12, 2018, 09:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Max Rockatansky

When I was living in the Keys there was a 5.something earthquake one morning.  I completely slept through it but it caused a localized panic.  I guess living on the West Coast half my life kind of makes anything under 6.0 seem like a non-event.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 13, 2018, 12:17:45 AM
When I was living in the Keys there was a 5.something earthquake one morning.  I completely slept through it but it caused a localized panic.  I guess living on the West Coast half my life kind of makes anything under 6.0 seem like a non-event.

In what year did the Keys earthquake happen? That's news to me.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 13, 2018, 12:21:59 AM

January 9th of 2014 according to the Miami Herald, apparently it was 5.1.  The epicenter was off the Cuban Coast, I must have been taking a nap considering the time of day it happened.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 13, 2018, 12:25:19 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 13, 2018, 12:21:59 AM

January 9th of 2014 according to the Miami Herald, apparently it was 5.1.  The epicenter was off the Cuban Coast, I must have been taking a nap considering the time of day it happened.

That was during the nearly five years (early-mid 2010 to late 2014-early 2015) we hadn't flown to and from MCO (either to get to Disney World or to get to Universal Orlando) on vacation as we'd gone to Northern California (flying in and out of SFO) in April 2012. Nice trip, it was. Don't know when or if we'll be back, though. Best part was either Hearst Castle, Muir Woods, having fish tacos for the first time in Sausalito, having In-N-Out for the first time in Gilroy, driving the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) between CA-92 in Half Moon Bay and CA-46 in the Green Valley area of San Luis Obispo County (with stops at Pigeon Point Lighthouse, Cannery Row in Monterey instead of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Bixby Bridge, and the aforementioned stop with overnight stay at San Simeon upon visiting Hearst Castle), visiting a See's Candies Quantity Discount shop in South San Francisco, driving past the numerous Silicon Valley buildings and headquarters and pointing out their famous logos and names, Lombard Street driving experience, riding the cable cars and checking out the Cable Car Museum, shopping, dining, and music at Pier 39 (where we heard and saw this musician by the name of Bob Culbertson with his Chapman Stick instrument), driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, or last but not least checking out the E-F streetcar lines (don't recall whether or not we rode them).

EDIT: Forgot to mention the original Chinatown. I should've also mentioned that we flew in and out of Tampa International Airport in order to get to and from Siesta Key in May of 2014. That was when we stopped at a Waffle House for the first time in Saint Petersburg, drove across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, and shopped at Publix for the first time ever in Sarasota.

I should also mention that due to unfavorable weather conditions, we did not enjoy our return to Orlando in late 2014-early 2015 as it was rather cool/cold and wet. We ended up feeling rather fatigued/tired and had to stop more than once.

Early-mid 2010 was our first time at Disney World in over a decade (we were last there for the 25th anniversary in 1996), and it was very much a pleasure to be back.

Stephane Dumas

The USA Today talk of the quake in Eastern Tennessee and wonder how big the next quake will be in the New Madrid fault zone.
www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/12/how-likely-earthquake-new-madrid-seismic-zone/2293190002/

Eth

It was strong enough to wake me up down here in Atlanta; some of my friends also felt it, others didn't. I do live on an upper floor of my building, which probably enhanced it slightly.

hbelkins

Said to have been felt in southeastern Kentucky, although I didn't feel it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Quote from: Eth on December 13, 2018, 08:32:23 AM
It was strong enough to wake me up down here in Atlanta; some of my friends also felt it, others didn't. I do live on an upper floor of my building, which probably enhanced it slightly.

I was in Atlanta and slept right through it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.