News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Spur 557 and U.S. 80 in Texas

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 10, 2019, 12:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 19, 2019, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 19, 2019, 02:54:02 PM
Quote from: jbnv on July 19, 2019, 02:18:33 PM
Another con about not truncating US highways is that it encourages states to keep obsolete US highways around. Take US 51, for example; it rides I-55 for 26 miles just so that it can go another three miles to terminate at US 61.

As one extreme of this:

Texas retaining US 85 while New Mexico does not sign it at all and Colorado doesn't sign it until Fountain, 129 miles north of the New Mexico state line.

Actually this is surprising enough given Texas being very trunaction-happy in the 80s and 90s.

I think Texas kept it because U.S. 85 follows a separate alignment through El Paso (Paisano Dr.).  It was a short enough distance that truncating it and getting a state highway designation was too much work.
I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

DJStephens

It is quite bizarre.  US 85/180 is signed as leading onto I-10 Anthony Texas Exit 0 heading N.  And then it dissapears.   Never quite understood the eagerness to "decommission" either. And why some US routes were, and others were not.   Would re-establish it along the former late fifties route in W El Paso and southern New Mexico - Doniphan Drive and South Main Street (NM 478).  Then run it along historical routings along with a Business Loop, in towns it passes through, from S to N along the Rio Grande valley.  This being the I-25 corridor, which replaced much of US 85 in New Mexico. 
As for US 80, would have it replace US 180 heading W out of DFW, and run it all the way to El Paso. 

texaskdog

Quote from: DJStephens on September 01, 2019, 12:21:11 PM
It is quite bizarre.  US 85/180 is signed as leading onto I-10 Anthony Texas Exit 0 heading N.  And then it dissapears.   Never quite understood the eagerness to "decommission" either. And why some US routes were, and others were not.   Would re-establish it along the former late fifties route in W El Paso and southern New Mexico - Doniphan Drive and South Main Street (NM 478).  Then run it along historical routings along with a Business Loop, in towns it passes through, from S to N along the Rio Grande valley.  This being the I-25 corridor, which replaced much of US 85 in New Mexico. 
As for US 80, would have it replace US 180 heading W out of DFW, and run it all the way to El Paso. 

I'd take it to the Grand Canyon!  and 62 could be shortened too.

DJStephens

Yep it could end where it meets 180/revived 80.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.