News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on April 22, 2023, 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: RZF on April 22, 2023, 02:45:53 PM
I don't know if this was ever brought up in the Pacific Southwest thread, but I've seen this erroneous sign for quite some time now. In Newbury Park, on Borchard Rd going NB right at the junction with US-101, the street sign shows a CA spade with a 101 inside instead of the US route shield:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1827868,-118.926352,3a,38.1y,37.89h,104.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7KnNJMhP39e98uEnp3KHvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Oh neat, I got to that area a ton but I've never seen that. First time I've ever seen CA-101.
Makes me wonder about the logistics of making road signs. You'd think whoever actually designs the sign in a CAD system, would have a basic understanding of the types of roads, and in this case would know what most idiot drivers manage to learn, that 101 is a US route. And you'd think that as the sign was being made, someone involved in the process would notice the error. I remember when there was an I-52 sign in La Jolla, which should have been CA-52. Are they all morons?

Quillz

Quote from: pderocco on April 24, 2023, 03:14:48 AM
I don't know if this was ever brought up in the Pacific Southwest thread, but I've seen this erroneous sign for quite some time now. In Newbury Park, on Borchard Rd going NB right at the junction with US-101, the street sign shows a CA spade with a 101 inside instead of the US route shield:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1827868,-118.926352,3a,38.1y,37.89h,104.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7KnNJMhP39e98uEnp3KHvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Oh neat, I got to that area a ton but I've never seen that. First time I've ever seen CA-101.
Makes me wonder about the logistics of making road signs. You'd think whoever actually designs the sign in a CAD system, would have a basic understanding of the types of roads, and in this case would know what most idiot drivers manage to learn, that 101 is a US route. And you'd think that as the sign was being made, someone involved in the process would notice the error. I remember when there was an I-52 sign in La Jolla, which should have been CA-52. Are they all morons?
I've always wondered if it's a case of specs have to be followed, even if it's known there is an error. I remember seeing a giant Alabama shield in Texas, and it's like... Surely they can recognize Texas isn't shaped like Alabama?

I will say error shields like this are pretty rare in California. The most common one I see is applying the interstate shield to state or federal highways.

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on April 24, 2023, 03:23:51 AM
I've always wondered if it's a case of specs have to be followed, even if it's known there is an error. I remember seeing a giant Alabama shield in Texas, and it's like... Surely they can recognize Texas isn't shaped like Alabama?
I think it's a case of specs have to be worn.

jdbx

Quote from: Quillz on April 24, 2023, 03:23:51 AM
Quote from: pderocco on April 24, 2023, 03:14:48 AM

That was always my thoughts about why there are so many signs being newly installed out there with the 3/4 text sizing error.  My city has recently put up quite a few of them, and I have a hard time believing that nobody involved in the sign-making process realizes just how wrong and bad these signs look. They probably are just blindly following what is probably a poorly-worded standard.

kernals12

Groundbreaking was held for a project that will convert the intersection in SLO County where James Dean was killed in 1955 into a grade separated interchange

Max Rockatansky

Much of the new alignment being built in Cholame strays north of the existing highway.  I was out there last week, looked like most of the grade work was already nearing completion.

The Ghostbuster

Will the new interchange be named the James Dean Memorial Interchange, in honor of him?

SeriesE

I'm surprised Caltrans didn't at least put a traffic signal there during the past 50+ years

Max Rockatansky

Way too busy of an intersection, the backups would be massive with a traffic light.  The only really difficult movement is the left hand turn from eastbound CA 46 to continue on northbound CA 41.  The trouble tends to be that the area gets a lot of winter fog which contributes to low visibility borne crashes.  Trying to turn left from any of the local properties is way worse from the two two lane segments of CA 41/CA 46.

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2023, 02:49:44 PM
Much of the new alignment being built in Cholame strays north of the existing highway.  I was out there last week, looked like most of the grade work was already nearing completion.
Funny you'd mention that, and also that Concrete Bob would mention CA-65 in Porterville in another thread. I drove through both those stretches last Saturday. I had no idea that 46 would have a new alignment until I saw it with my own eyes. Then I looked online and found the map. However, I couldn't find any map showing the arrangement for the 41/46 split. Does anyone have a link to that? The maps in EIRs are usually the best.

Quillz

Quote from: kernals12 on April 26, 2023, 02:47:51 PM
Groundbreaking was held for a project that will convert the intersection in SLO County where James Dean was killed in 1955 into a grade separated interchange
Wasn't the actual intersection not in use anymore? I think the modern highway (and the named intersection) is a little north of where it used to be.

Quillz

Also, some brand new signage just went up on US-101 through the valley! The Ventura Freeway between CA-27 and I-405, specifically. Couldn't get any pics, one sign is being worked on right now. However, already saw a design error: too much spacing between "White Oak" and "Avenue." Looks like someone hit the space bar twice.

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on April 27, 2023, 05:04:20 AM
Wasn't the actual intersection not in use anymore? I think the modern highway (and the named intersection) is a little north of where it used to be.
I don't think so, because even after all those decades there would be visible scars on the landscape.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on April 29, 2023, 12:28:36 AM
Quote from: Quillz on April 27, 2023, 05:04:20 AM
I don't think so, because even after all those decades there would be visible scars on the landscape.

It's the same as it was when it was the junction of US 466 and CA 41.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 29, 2023, 12:34:10 AM

It's the same as it was when it was the junction of US 466 and CA 41.

To clarify for other folks:

The 41/46 east junction is the one that hasn't changed much in decades, the one in Cholame.  This is where James Dean's accident occurred.

The west junction is what has been realigned, with Shandon now bypassed to the north on 41/46.  41/US 466 used to continue through town to where 41 continues south (then originally 466 followed 41, 229, and the Rocky Canyon Trail to Atascadero).
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Rocky Canyon being the last segment of dirt US Route in California.  It was never actually paved and US 466 was realigned west of Shandon along CA 41 to Paso Robles.  Rocky Canyon is heavily eroded but can still be hiked:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/12/legacy-of-us-route-466-part-3-morro-bay.html?m=1

TheStranger

Years ago, Elkhorn Boulevard in Sacramento was realigned to head southwest from its former direct alignment to Power Line Road.

Now I see the culmination of this: a new entrance to Sacramento International Airport!
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/sacramento/smf-breaks-ground-extension-project/103-148720ab-3a4b-4043-93c7-94e0cea9cac8?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&tag1=kxtvshare&fbclid=IwAR0aeWp1mi4RAbQaA1oyFvh4yTbPCKjr0pASbBd3GAPU1SZR_OCaff8pi6M
Chris Sampang

Occidental Tourist

I'm trying to figure out the need for this other than creating a shorter route to the airport for that Amazon hub. It seems like the airport is equally accessible from the 99 using the 5 as it is in getting off the 99 an exit before the 5 and using Elkhorn.

gonealookin

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 30, 2023, 11:34:38 AM
I'm trying to figure out the need for this other than creating a shorter route to the airport for that Amazon hub. It seems like the airport is equally accessible from the 99 using the 5 as it is in getting off the 99 an exit before the 5 and using Elkhorn.

Here's the stated "need" from a Sacramento Bee article:

QuoteAirport officials characterized the second direct connection to the airport as an alternative entrance if travel backs up on I-5. Motorists on State Highway 99 could get off at the Elkhorn Boulevard exit and take that road right to the airport, they said.

The connector would also serve as a direct link for traffic between a proposed airport cargo station in Metro Air Park and the airport.

"Our goal has always been to have secondary access to the airport,"  TJ Chen, deputy director of airport planning and development said at the groundbreaking ceremony.

kernals12

Apparently, in the late 60s, there were plans for a Hwy 9 Freeway/Expressway (start at 0:55) in the San Lorenzo Valley going from Scotts Valley to Boulder Creek.

Quillz

It seems in the 50s and 60s there were plans to make absolutely everything a freeway. CA-23 was envisioned as the Decker Freeway, all the way from CA-1 to Fillmore. There was the CA-64 freeway through the San Fernando Valley. The CA-14 extension was going to be a freeway to CA-1. I think this was still part of that "we can build anything, anywhere" mentality that defined most of the first half of the 20th century, and before there was a large environmental movement.

Max Rockatansky

Must've never got much beyond the concept phase.  I don't see that segment of CA 9 referenced as part of the Freeway & Expressway System.  But to Quillz point, probably over 95% of urban state highways were added to the Freeway & Expressway system at some point.  It would be fair to say that most state highways in big cities were at least conceptually planned to have limited access elements.  That's not to say every planned freeway and expressway had a formal alignment adoption by the CHC. 

kernals12

Quote from: Quillz on May 03, 2023, 05:09:33 AM
It seems in the 50s and 60s there were plans to make absolutely everything a freeway. CA-23 was envisioned as the Decker Freeway, all the way from CA-1 to Fillmore. There was the CA-64 freeway through the San Fernando Valley. The CA-14 extension was going to be a freeway to CA-1. I think this was still part of that "we can build anything, anywhere" mentality that defined most of the first half of the 20th century, and before there was a large environmental movement.
Don't forget the plans to make CA 1 a freeway from Oxnard to San Luis Capistrano, including an offshore causeway between Malibu and Santa Monica

RZF

Drove through Glendale the other day. Caltrans put up a new I-5 shield at the Victory Blvd exit. No more US-99.

roadman65

Is the Sierra Highway that parallels the southern CA 14 freeway the Historic US 6 alignment into the LA area?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.