News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonealookin

It's an interesting weather forecast for Southern California this coming weekend as significant moisture from Hurricane Hilary is expected to affect the area, and especially the desert side.  Latest rainfall forecast from the National Weather Service:

QuoteCurrent forecast rainfall amounts Saturday through Monday:

Coast: 2 to 2.50 inches
Valleys: 2.50 to 3 inches
Mojave Desert: 3 to 4.50 inches
San Bernardino County Mtns: 4 to 6 inches, locally up to 8 inches on the eastern slopes
Riverside and San Diego County Mtns: 4 to 8 inches, locally up to 10 inches on the eastern slopes
Lower Deserts: 5 to 6 inches

That is a lot on the eastern mountain slopes and in the desert areas.  Storm systems like this have caused a lot of flash flood damage to the roads out that way in the past.

RZF

This El Nino year is going to wreak havoc on Southern California in general. The more intense (for the eastern Pacific Ocean's standards) tropical storm season right now is a direct result of that. Road authorities in CA have to be aware that they may have their work cut out for them this year.

Quillz

I'm still of the "I'll take what I can get when it comes to rain" mentality, even though drought conditions improved a lot this year. But I'm always nervous driving in the rain, seems a lot of motorists around here never slow down in it.

Max Rockatansky

The years prepping for hurricane out east are screaming at me "don't wish for one here."

jdbx

I'm pretty sure we are going to be reading about washouts along I-10 and other desert highways. If I was in Palm Springs or the surrounding area, I'd be rather concerned at this point.

Techknow

Several news organizations are reporting that Caltrans is going to reduce the speed limit from 70 MPH to 65 MPH at US 101 in Southern Monterey county. This seems to be happening before the end of the month.

Here's one news report: https://www.ksbw.com/article/caltrans-to-lower-speed-limit-on-highway-101-in-southern-monterey-county/44843427

Max Rockatansky

That segment of 101 easily can handle 70 MPH or higher.  If CHP really wants to find unsafe speeding in the area it can easily be seen on Cattleman Road (old 101).

Quillz

I feel the majority of modern freeways can safely support higher speeds than what is posted. Especially as the flow of traffic seems to be perpetually 10-15 above what's posted anyway.

Max Rockatansky

I want to say that is the only segment of 101 in California that was signed at 70 MPH?  Given there was no accident data cited it sounds more of an issue about CHP not adequately patrolling the southern Monterey County segment.  There certainly isn't a traffic count justification to lower the limit.  Also, just because the limit is artificially lowered doesn't mean drivers will slow down.

sprjus4

What a joke. There's zero engineering justification. They claim there is a speeding problem... news flash. Lowering the speed limit is not going to stop people from going 100 mph. You're just now putting those going 70 mph, which the freeway is safely designed for, in a category of being speeders.

People go 80-90 mph on I-5 between LA and San Francisco. Let's lower that speed limit from 70 mph to 65 mph to increase compliance and slow people down. Sure...

The compliance will continue to go down. What happened to California and 85th percentile speeds?

Plutonic Panda

I go around 100 in certain conditions and it's perfectly fine. Complete fucking joke to lower but I am not going to care less or abide by it. Fuck speed limits on interstates.

Quillz

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 19, 2023, 06:31:50 AM
I go around 100 in certain conditions and it's perfectly fine. Complete fucking joke to lower but I am not going to care less or abide by it. Fuck speed limits on interstates.
What are those certain conditions?

kkt

Quote from: Quillz on August 19, 2023, 07:26:52 AM

A racetrack, I hope.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 19, 2023, 01:43:58 AM
What a joke. There's zero engineering justification. They claim there is a speeding problem... news flash. Lowering the speed limit is not going to stop people from going 100 mph. You're just now putting those going 70 mph, which the freeway is safely designed for, in a category of being speeders.

People go 80-90 mph on I-5 between LA and San Francisco. Let's lower that speed limit from 70 mph to 65 mph to increase compliance and slow people down. Sure...

The compliance will continue to go down. What happened to California and 85th percentile speeds?

I drive the southern Monterey County segment of 101 usually 2-4 times a month.  My average speed through the segment is usually a cruise control setting of 77-78 MPH.  I rarely hit obstructions that require me to slow and in usually running a little bit below the average speed.  I would imagine the segment would easily qualify for a 75-80 MPH speed limit if the 85th percentile was followed.

Plutonic Panda

Low traffic. That's about it.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kkt on August 19, 2023, 11:18:13 AM

A racetrack, I hope.
The 101 racetrack is in the Bay Area at night when you can be cruising at 100 and have people passing you and CHP being selective in who they pull over. I was cruising through there a few week ago going about 70-75 and people would fly by me like I'm standing still. Saw CHP several times fly past me with their lights on only to give up and turn them off and pull back off to the side before flying by me again. I thought LA freeways became a lawless shit show at night. I couldn't believe what I saw on the Bay Area freeways.

Quillz

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 19, 2023, 03:03:33 PM

A racetrack, I hope.
The 101 racetrack is in the Bay Area at night when you can be cruising at 100 and have people passing you and CHP being selective in who they pull over. I was cruising through there a few week ago going about 70-75 and people would fly by me like I'm standing still. Saw CHP several times fly past me with their lights on only to give up and turn them off and pull back off to the side before flying by me again. I thought LA freeways became a lawless shit show at night. I couldn't believe what I saw on the Bay Area freeways.
You said "fuck speed limits on interstates," so it sounds like you've got no issues with this.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Quillz on August 19, 2023, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 19, 2023, 03:03:33 PM

A racetrack, I hope.
You said "fuck speed limits on interstates," so it sounds like you've got no issues with this.
I really don't. It's not on my list of concerns. Just pointing it out.

The Ghostbuster

As you are all probably aware, southwest California is now under a tropical storm warning (I learned this from Google Maps). Northwest Mexico is probably under the same warning, but Google Maps doesn't list it.

Quillz

Yeah, I'm in the SF Valley and bracing for some rain. Local forecasts show a fair bit starting around 8 AM tomorrow, but will be done by Monday. Seems the main areas that might get hit hard are Palm Springs and similar desert areas. Anyone in LA proper probably won't be dealing with too much, but nature is tricky and anything can happen.

Rothman

You criminal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 08:17:33 AM

You criminal.
I'm horrible. Lol. Really I hover around 10 over most of the time. I'm just saying it seems like these roads could handle higher speeds but Americans should have more stringent driver license requirements IMO.

Quillz

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 20, 2023, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 08:17:33 AM

You criminal.
I'm horrible. Lol. Really I hover around 10 over most of the time. I'm just saying it seems like these roads could handle higher speeds but Americans should have more stringent driver license requirements IMO.
They are. Most modern freeways/interstates can handle much higher speeds. Most speed limits are artificial. 55 mph was due to the 1970s oil embargo, and at the time, most cars got best mileage around that speed. It's likely higher on modern cars.

gonealookin

Looks like a wonderful summer Sunday afternoon on the roads of Southern California.

I'm sure the LA and San Diego areas are awful, but of that the biggest single thing appears to be the full closure of Interstate 15 through Barstow.  I haven't seen an exact reason yet but flooding would be a decent guess.

Max Rockatansky

Meanwhile in the Central Valley essentially nothing exciting has happened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.