News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hot and Now

Started by ce929wax, October 27, 2019, 03:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

I was hungry and only had a $5 on me, so after going to the K-Wings game, I went to McDonalds and got a three dollar combo.  Going to Mickey D's reminded me of another nasty burger joint that we had in Michigan called Hot and Now (sometimes called Hot N Nasty or Rotten Cow).  I was curious if this chain was anywhere else in the United States or if my fellow boardmates had a similar kind of place local to them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: ce929wax on October 27, 2019, 03:42:11 AM
I was hungry and only had a $5 on me, so after going to the K-Wings game, I went to McDonalds and got a three dollar combo.  Going to Mickey D's reminded me of another nasty burger joint that we had in Michigan called Hot and Now (sometimes called Hot N Nasty or Rotten Cow).  I was curious if this chain was anywhere else in the United States or if my fellow boardmates had a similar kind of place local to them.
There's a few around here (Krystal Burger, Hardee's, Whataburger) that we haven't hit in months due to their so-so quality.

Scott5114

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 27, 2019, 03:47:03 AM
There's a few around here (Krystal Burger, Hardee's, Whataburger) that we haven't hit in months due to their so-so quality.

Around here, Whataburger puts out a pretty good product but they sure don't seem to be in much of a rush to do it. Doesn't help that the line is constantly backed up.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kevinb1994

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2019, 04:10:11 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 27, 2019, 03:47:03 AM

Around here, Whataburger puts out a pretty good product but they sure don't seem to be in much of a rush to do it. Doesn't help that the line is constantly backed up.
It should be noted that Whataburger is a product of Texas. Don't mess with Texas. ;)

Max Rockatansky

From what I remember Hot and Now was all over the Midwest for a couple decades.  I seem to recall the food was on a low tier with the liked of White Castle. 

formulanone

Hot and Now actually had a few short-lived locations in South Florida in the early-1990s. Nothing remarkable except it was cheap and near a branch of my bank.

I saw the last remaining one in Sturgis, Michigan a while back. The menu looked like a cobbled-together afterthought, but I ate there anyway and didn't get sick, so that makes it a success based on very low expectations.

It looks like it's still operational, so good for them.

Big John

They used to be in Wisconsin, but they closed.

hbelkins

I first thought this was going to be about Krispy Kreme doughnuts when I saw the thread title.

Never heard of this chain, but I'm always up for a cheap greasy local burger.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I drove past the Sturgis location not too long ago the lone one left

ce929wax

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2019, 07:20:03 PMNever heard of this chain, but I'm always up for a cheap greasy local burger.

You wouldn't like this particular one because the burger was made with ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onion with no exceptions and no substitutions.  I remember you saying that you didn't like onion because it causes you distress a while back.  I don't like onion simply because I don't like onion.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: ce929wax on October 28, 2019, 02:54:35 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2019, 07:20:03 PMNever heard of this chain, but I'm always up for a cheap greasy local burger.

You wouldn't like this particular one because the burger was made with ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onion with no exceptions and no substitutions.  I remember you saying that you didn't like onion because it causes you distress a while back.  I don't like onion simply because I don't like onion.

I do not like onion either (it is one of the few foods I don't like). I actually stopped eating Krystal burgers a few years ago, because there was never a time when no onions were left on the burger when I asked for them left off. I spent a good 20 minutes scraping off all the small, diced onions each time, and did enjoy the burger(s) (I'd get four, then have to scrape onions off them all first) once the task was done, but it became useless to me and a waste of time after a while, so ever since then at Krystal, I just get chicken (sandwiches, nuggets), and stuff like Po-Boys when they were offered.

So with that said, I probably wouldn't enjoy the restaurant mentioned in this thread if a burger without onions is not an option, and if the quality of the food is just very low anyway, as mentioned.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

MNHighwayMan

I love onions. About the only onion thing I won't eat is a raw whole onion. White Castle is one of my favorite restaurants (despite the quality), and their burgers are full of minced onion (pretty much exactly like Krystal, but without the mustard.)

P.S. Don't feed your pets anything with onion! Onions (and anything in the onion family: garlic, leeks, shallots, etc) are toxic to both cats and dogs, especially the former.

renegade

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2019, 07:20:03 PM
I first thought this was going to be about Krispy Kreme doughnuts when I saw the thread title
Same here, until I remembered the sign that says "Hot Doughnuts Now" and now this has me craving a hot doughnut ...
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

I've discovered that the diced onions on a small McDonald's burger (not the slivered onions that come on a Quarter Pounder) or the onions on a White Castle/Krystal burger don't bother me. But I would have to take the pickle off because I don't care for pickles, so in the process would probably remove the onions as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

The only problem that I ever have with onions is that even though I very much really like both, for me onions and (American) bacon have always clashed badly when they are cooked together.

Beats me as to why.

:meh:

Mike

Scott5114

I like onions but American restaurants tend to put so many of them on a sandwich you can't taste anything but onion.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2019, 04:33:30 PM
I like onions but American restaurants tend to put so many of them on a sandwich you can't taste anything but onion.

I agree, but:
American restaurants as opposed to...?

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2019, 08:24:20 PM

I agree, but:

I have no idea if restaurants in other countries have the same tendency because I've never eaten in them.

briantroutman

Going to Mickey D's reminded me of another nasty burger joint that we had in Michigan called Hot and Now (sometimes called Hot N Nasty or Rotten Cow).  I was curious if this chain was anywhere else in the United States...

Hot n' Now rode a brief wave of "double drive thru"  fast food restaurants–joints in small prefab buildings with drive thru windows on either side of the building, offering little to no inside seating, and selling cheap burgers and fries at rock-bottom prices. When your advertising message is that you have a burger that's 30¢ less than a Jr. Whopper on Burger King's value menu, you clearly aren't shooting for a very discriminating audience.

Anyway, PepsiCo bought Hot n'Now in 1990 to provide the company a burger chain to compliment the tacos (Taco Bell) and fried chicken (KFC) in its portfolio. Pepsi briefly opened about 100 locations across the country before giving up on the chain in 1997. The company changed hands a few times and most locations closed, leaving a dwindling number of stores, mostly in the chains original home of Michigan. Supposedly one location remains–in Sturgis, MI.

Apparently, the only national chain from the double drive thru boom that survives largely intact today is Checkers/Rally's.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2019, 04:39:06 PM
I agree, but:
I have no idea if restaurants in other countries have the same tendency because I've never eaten in them.

In that case, I guess we better leave open the possibility that it's not a problem specific to America.  ;-)

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2019, 09:35:57 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2019, 04:39:06 PM
I agree, but:

In that case, I guess we better leave open the possibility that it's not a problem specific to America.  ;-)
Because the word American is the whole entire point of the post.  :pan:
I wish we could write things on here without going into offhand conversations about things completely beside the main issue.

webny99

Uh... what main issue?
If the OP had invited a focused and substantive discussion of an important issue, then we'd stay on-topic.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on November 01, 2019, 08:55:37 PM
Uh... what main issue?
If the OP had invited a focused and substantive discussion of an important issue, then we'd stay on-topic.

This forum does and does not stay on topic.

ce929wax

Technically, talking about the amount of onions on a burger is on topic, since the topic is hamburgers.

mgk920

Quote from: ce929wax on November 02, 2019, 12:16:59 AM
Technically, talking about the amount of onions on a burger is on topic, since the topic is hamburgers.

You mean like if you fry up a couple of slices of an onion and then sprinkle bits of ground meat over them?

:nod:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.