News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Are there FHWA guidelines for VMS?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 31, 2013, 11:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

I know from a recent newspaper artcle that New Jersey, for instance, has rules on how many separate displays of text can make up a VMS message.  Does FHWA?  One of the things that made me think of it, ironically, was a VMS in NJ that took 3-4 separate screens to get through its "don't drive distracted" message.  I've see them of 5 screens or more on some roads. 

How many "screens" does FHWA permit?  Is it governed at all by speed?

What about text size?  Massachusetts now has quasi-permanent ones along many highways, but as they are just repurposed portable construction signs they're too small the read much clearly at high speed.

myosh_tino

Chapter 2L dealing with VMSes is a new chapter added to the MUTCD in 2009.  Section 2L.05 states...
QuoteEach message shall consist of no more than two phases. A phase shall consist of no more than three lines of text. Each phase shall be understood by itself regardless of the sequence in which it is read. Messages shall be centered within each line of legend. Except for signs located on toll plaza structures or other facilities with a similar booth-lane arrangement, if more than one CMS is visible to road users, then only one sign shall display a sequential message at any given time.

California already follows this policy of displaying at most two phases of text on it's overhead VMSes.  When two phases are used, the messages in both phases are displayed "back-to-back" followed by a brief blank-out phase before displaying the message in phase 1.  For example...

Messages...
Phase 1: "CHAIN CONTROL NEXT 25 MILES"
Phase 2: "SPEED LIMIT 25 MPH MAX"

Display Sequence on VMS...
CHAIN CONTROL NEXT 25 MILES
SPEED LIMIT 25 MPH MAX
<Blank Out>
CHAIN CONTROL NEXT 25 MILES
SPEED LIMIT 25 MPH MAX
<Blank Out>

The blank-out period is something on the order of half a second.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

theline

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 31, 2013, 11:46:32 PM
VMS in NJ that took 3-4 separate screens to get through its "don't drive distracted" message.

Officer: "What caused you to drive off the road and hit that abutment?"
Driver: "I was reading the 'don't drive distracted' message."

Edit: Sorry officer, I was too distracted by the distracted driving message to type "to."

myosh_tino

To follow up on my previous post, I created this animated GIF to show how Caltrans' CMS displays work...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Alps

When designing VMS, the industry standard is to cite anything written by Conrad Dudek.

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Big John

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.