News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: MikeCL on July 10, 2018, 09:32:00 PM
I saw this when I was camping in Clifton, NY

I never seen a setup like this.. I assume the two lights talk to each other?

The other light was at the other end of the bridge

Yes, the lights talk to each other. It's basically a humanless flagger.

Here's one on US 285 in New Mexico, where you can see the light at the other end:

But they can also be used for much longer segments. This one on UT 143 was probably 2 miles long at least:

jakeroot

I've seen them used when not acting as a robotic flagger during contraflow. This was in Puyallup, WA, between a span wire signal coming down, and a mast arm going up.

The all-yellow backplate is a bit odd (not allowed but whatever), and cutaway visors are very unusual here. I thought this contraption might have come down from BC, as their signals often have both of those features.

MikeCL

Wow assuming wireless I wonder what range it tops out at? And a all yellow backplate is a bit odd

jakeroot

Quote from: MikeCL on July 11, 2018, 08:33:56 AM
Wow assuming wireless I wonder what range it tops out at? And a all yellow backplate is a bit odd

Not pictured are cameras mounted on two wooden masts (in opposite corners) which watched traffic and adjusted the signals as necessary. No idea how they talked to the temporary signal; if wireless comms are a thing for these, I suspect that is what they used.

jakeroot

Edmonton, Alberta has started using the retroreflective borders on signals, and (in keeping with some recent trends in other parts of the city), using a secondary signal head on the left. Turn signals were traditionally mounted vertically in the median, unlike the overhead through signals which were horizontal. But the turn signals remain vertical on the mast arm when used in this position.

Most interesting: as far as I know, this is the only jurisdiction in Canada that uses the retroreflective yellow border without an all-yellow backplate. Calgary and Red Deer use yellow backplates, and I'm not aware of any retroreflective borders in Banff.

https://goo.gl/RvM4Ty

(Edmonton has traditionally used permissive signals for all left turns, hence the "no turn on red" signs and [not pictured] double red orbs)

TBKS1

I'm too late posting this.

Near Tunica, Mississippi. I took this on June 3rd. I've never seen anything like this before.

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Big John

^^ An inverted T.  Used when vertical clearance is an issue.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: TBKS1 on July 11, 2018, 07:35:22 PM

Near Tunica, Mississippi. I took this on June 3rd. I've never seen anything like this before.

This is extremely common in NJ.

index

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 11, 2018, 07:54:53 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on July 11, 2018, 07:35:22 PM

This is extremely common in NJ.

Speaking of inverted Ts and being common, does anyone know if any inverted Ts are in NC? I swear I've seen one here before, but all I have of that is a vague memory from when i was three or four or five.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

MikeCL

Since we are talking yellow borders these are new signals in Stamford that have reflective yellow border

And in Weehawken I don't get the whole double red traffic light..

SignBridge

Wow, that Stamford installation looks very California-like with two right-side pole mounted signals. And the other one with the double-red I assume is from New Jersey? I remember they had some of those in Bayonne years ago.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on July 12, 2018, 08:23:55 PM
Wow, that Stamford installation looks very California-like with two right-side pole mounted signals.

That's what I thought as well. Glad to see some western practices making their way east. Let's just hope there's another pole mounted signal in the left.

jakeroot

Another WSDOT install that has caught my eye. I think they've gone mad!

This left turn from E Bay Street to E 27 St in Tacoma has four left turn signals, for a single-lane left turn. It's not yet activated, but here's the Street View: https://goo.gl/poa2L9

Old WSDOT would have used two overhead signals, and that's all. But they've been throwing up pole-mounted signals all over the place lately. This interchange went from none four years ago, to at least seven today (four intersections in total -- split diamond). Still work to do, but I'm more than pleased!

MikeCL

Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2018, 08:49:05 PM
Wow, that Stamford installation looks very California-like with two right-side pole mounted signals.

That's what I thought as well. Glad to see some western practices making their way east. Let's just hope there's another pole mounted signal in the left.
Hmm I think it is I'd have to check again

MikeCL

Wow, that Stamford installation looks very California-like with two right-side pole mounted signals. And the other one with the double-red I assume is from New Jersey? I remember they had some of those in Bayonne years ago.
Yeah the double red is in NJ.. is this just a NJ thing? I haven't seen it anyplace else

MikeCL

I've seen people run this light which is stupid because traffic on the other side is out of view because they enter from the right.. still let people try it anyways.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2018, 03:59:51 AM

This left turn from E Bay Street to E 27 St in Tacoma has four left turn signals, for a single-lane left turn. It's not yet activated, but here's the Street View: https://goo.gl/poa2L9

Old WSDOT would have used two overhead signals, and that's all. But they've been throwing up pole-mounted signals all over the place lately. This interchange went from none four years ago, to at least seven today (four intersections in total -- split diamond). Still work to do, but I'm more than pleased!

Hooray for post-mounts!  Though 4 signal heads for one lane is a bit excessive.  The one on the signal mast just absolutely does not need to be there, unless there's a curve in the approach to the intersection.  I'm just happy to see any DOT cover all their bases--making sure each signal has a duplicate, and making sure a signal is visible from all possible lines of sight stemming from the approach.

I feel personally struck by the crosswalk signals that just stick up straight from the poles (no hooks).  I haven't seen any signals like that in ages.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

MikeCL

Another of the Stamford signals no traffic light on the left

paulthemapguy

Does anyone know about these signal heads with the circular backing for each section? What are these signals?  They're common on old DuPage County installs (Illinois) which I love because of the curved mast arms.

20180704_142838 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

jakeroot

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 13, 2018, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2018, 03:59:51 AM

Hooray for post-mounts!  Though 4 signal heads for one lane is a bit excessive.  The one on the signal mast just absolutely does not need to be there, unless there's a curve in the approach to the intersection.  I'm just happy to see any DOT cover all their bases--making sure each signal has a duplicate, and making sure a signal is visible from all possible lines of sight stemming from the approach.

I feel personally struck by the crosswalk signals that just stick up straight from the poles (no hooks).  I haven't seen any signals like that in ages.

I think they should do away with the right-most mast arm signal, and leave the two on the poles. My personal preference is for all intersections to have post-mounted far left and far right signals at a minimum. I know Illinois doesn't always use a far right signal head (instead using near-side pole mounted signals, which are still fantastic), but they do come in handy when the intersection uses dedicated left turn signals (as is very often the case here in WA). The far left repeater would be a left turn signal, so you'd need a right-side through repeater for redundancy. Even if all four signals on an approach were green orbs (far left pole, two overhead and one on right pole), it helps to have one on the right in the event you can't see to your left or in front of you.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 13, 2018, 02:39:01 PM
Does anyone know about these signal heads with the circular backing for each section? What are these signals?  They're common on old DuPage County installs (Illinois) which I love because of the curved mast arms.

20180704_142838 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Those are Econolite Bullseye signals, but the round door variant. According to freebrickproductions, they were produced from the late 50s to an indeterminate point in time, and from the early 60s alongside the square-door variant. I also quite like the curved mast. I don't mind straight-armed masts, but curved is pretty cool too!

There are quite a lot of those near me, and AFAIK are also one of the oldest signals you see around here: https://goo.gl/cBke4z

traffic light guy

Bullseyes are not common where I live, plus, they don't get nice repaints like other states do, instead they're left to rot in their original condition.  Several decades ago, these were very common in Philly, hundreds of intersections had these, as of now I'm guessing there's less than twenty left. Unfortunately, most likely due to the non-ambiguous nature of the standards in my area, only the square-door version is used, ironically I kind of prefer this version of the bull's eye:

Econolite Bullseyes by thesignalman, on Flickrftp://

These two Bull's eyes are at the same intersection:

Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

Another Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

I love how the eastern part of the U.S. doesn't repaint their older signals, it keeps the authenticity of their age

jakeroot

Do you know of any specific jurisdictions that repaint their signals? Around here, most signals are a dull black or green color, so they aged quite gracefully. In fact, the only way for me to tell if a signal is old, is if it's an old manufacturer. Or, if the backplate is rusty or worn. Either way, no repainting around here that I'm aware of.

SignBridge

Nassau County DPW on Long Island does repaint their yellow signal heads periodically. However I think they may have cut back somewhat on this maintenance as the County government is in dire financial straits and some of their signal heads are looking very faded lately.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 04, 2018, 11:49:14 AM
Here's a weird signal in Park Forest, IL.  Three 4-section heads face the northbound traffic.  Southbound setup is even weirder because the signals are all 8-inchers.  Didn't have time to get a photo of those, though.  Here's a GSV looking southbound https://goo.gl/maps/Riq4Y1AQBpw

20180703_120526 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

20180703_120528 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

20180703_184621 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
There's one like this here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3752819,-71.1457835,3a,19.2y,55.07h,92.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHGmj4PgyrLG83qfJ_jxxhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.