News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJResotko

Quote from: Amtrakprod on March 15, 2019, 05:34:16 PM
Look at this FYA doghouse: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0046412,-105.2695378,3a,35.9y,224.27h,91.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smTHj2txWn7Ril5E1jQ0kpQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Very nice. I've seen that Minnesota and Wisconsin have some FYA doghouses too.
Eden Prairie, Minnesota (the first of its kind in the US): https://youtu.be/onyZQcgkMOw
Eau Claire, Wisconsin: https://youtu.be/A_L0EMMptRg

NoGoodNamesAvailable

What's happening with this setup? It looks the same in real life as it does on GSV.

signalman

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on March 23, 2019, 08:22:02 PM
What's happening with this setup? It looks the same in real life as it does on GSV.
Why wouldn't it?  GSV is photographing real places as the car moves along real streets.

In all seriousness, what are you referring to?  Nothing looks particularly bizarre.

hotdogPi

Quote from: signalman on March 23, 2019, 08:36:10 PM
Why wouldn't it?  GSV is photographing real places as the car moves along real streets.

In all seriousness, what are you referring to?  Nothing looks particularly bizarre.

The red traffic light has only the left half lit.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

signalman

Quote from: 1 on March 23, 2019, 08:38:42 PM

There's louvers in the red section.  If he's wondering why the red is illuminated in conjunction with the green arrow, then I don't have an answer.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: signalman on March 23, 2019, 08:40:41 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 23, 2019, 08:38:42 PM

There's louvers in the red section.  If he's wondering why the red is illuminated in conjunction with the green arrow, then I don't have an answer.

That was my question, what's the point of the red on top of the green arrow, and is that even MUTCD compliant.

Revive 755

Once in a while GSV does have odd blurring/warping effects, and it does not always catch flashing indications.

As to the setup in the link, I don't see why both the red and green arrow are lit at the same time in the rightmost head on the mast arm.  If that head is trying to be a separate, protected-only head for the right turn lane, it is violating Section 4D.23, Paragraph 03, Item A-2 ("Only one of three indications shall be displayed at any given time.").  Since the opposing left appears to be protected only, that head should be using a flashing yellow arrow anyway if a separate head for the right turn is desired.

UCFKnights

Based on the other GSV pictures around it, I'd guess the red was actually off but took some time to de-energize, and the green literally just went on. I've seen it happen from time to time, even frequently if the red is incandescent and the green is LED.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: UCFKnights on March 24, 2019, 08:06:44 PM
Based on the other GSV pictures around it, I'd guess the red was actually off but took some time to de-energize, and the green literally just went on. I've seen it happen from time to time, even frequently if the red is incandescent and the green is LED.

I drove by this intersection a few days ago which is why I posted it. The red ball and green arrow were both permanently on.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Anyone know how this 2 red-head signal operates? Passed it while on NY299 in New Paltz on the way back to the NYS thruway on a roadtrip.

Never seen one in NY like that

signalman

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on March 30, 2019, 09:25:12 PM
Anyone know how this 2 red-head signal operates? Passed it while on NY299 in New Paltz on the way back to the NYS thruway on a roadtrip.

Broken link, but I think I found the intersection that you're referring to.  Is the signal that you're referencing at the exit from a shopping plaza; more specifically, for the right turn from the exit?  If so, I've never seen one in use in NY either.  It looks like they took a page out of DelDOT's book.  Delaware occasionally uses these at right turn signals.  The left red section is circular, the right is an arrow.  The red arrow only illuminates when the opposite direction has a protected left, denoting that a right on red is not permitted.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 23, 2019, 10:02:14 PM

Once in a while GSV does have odd blurring/warping effects, and it does not always catch flashing indications.

As to the setup in the link, I don't see why both the red and green arrow are lit at the same time in the rightmost head on the mast arm.  If that head is trying to be a separate, protected-only head for the right turn lane, it is violating Section 4D.23, Paragraph 03, Item A-2 ("Only one of three indications shall be displayed at any given time.").  Since the opposing left appears to be protected only, that head should be using a flashing yellow arrow anyway if a separate head for the right turn is desired.

Always Red on top of a green arrow used to be a fairly common feature at some lights in some states, but as noted it now violates the MUTCD. So, either the light was set up this way to violate the MUTCD, or the red light is broken. Being the GSV reflects what the person saw on their trip, the light must be set up that way.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: signalman on March 31, 2019, 07:39:42 AM

Broken link, but I think I found the intersection that you're referring to.  Is the signal that you're referencing at the exit from a shopping plaza; more specifically, for the right turn from the exit?  If so, I've never seen one in use in NY either.  It looks like they took a page out of DelDOT's book.  Delaware occasionally uses these at right turn signals.  The left red section is circular, the right is an arrow.  The red arrow only illuminates when the opposite direction has a protected left, denoting that a right on red is not permitted.

Thanks! I edited the link, should be working now

jeffandnicole

I believe the red -> is to indicate no turns on red permitted, probably when the ped signal is on the Wall phase or a delayed green due to a green left arrow from the opposing direction.

Clarifying signage helps though.

Delaware is well know for these signals. I've seen a few similar ones pop up in NJ as well.

CJResotko

steviep24

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 31, 2019, 01:43:41 PM

I believe the red -> is to indicate no turns on red permitted, probably when the ped signal is on the Wall phase or a delayed green due to a green left arrow from the opposing direction.

Delaware is well know for these signals. I've seen a few similar ones pop up in NJ as well.
That looks similar to this signal on NY 104 at Furnace Rd. That one features a flashing red left turn arrow and steady red left turn arrow. When flashing red arrow is on you may turn left after a stop.

CJResotko

Quote from: kc8yqq on January 17, 2019, 01:08:34 PM
Here is an oddity for Michigan...an arrow for left on this type of traffic light fixture.  Normally it's a globe.  It's located in Leslie, Michigan, at the intersection of Bellevue Road and Hull Road.  The red arrow is for both directions of Bellevue Road and the standard globe is for both directions of Hull Road.  You can see both in this link and the traffic light is still like that today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4511344,-84.4404173,3a,25.1y,77.33h,97.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss5nVcifsTnuxLymy-GAaGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
That's actually becoming somewhat more common in Michigan. Some towns/cities have been replacing the red ball in left signals with a red arrow, or just replacing the signal with an all arrow left turn signal. If you look around East Lansing on M-43, there are some left turn signals with all arrows. In Ann Arbor, the traffic lights along Fuller Road have been replaced and with all arrow 3-section left turn signals at the left turn lane.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 31, 2019, 01:43:41 PM

A sign along the lines of "No turn on solid red arrow" would be helpful, even though this rule is generally true in most states.

I've seen other areas where a VMS is lit that says "no turn on red" but only lit during the time frame when they don't want you to turn on red (pedestrian ROW or opposing left has green arrow) and the normal turn on red rules apply at other times (when cross traffic has green).  The VMSes are easier to decipher.

Michael

NY 5 west in Chittenango has a light up no right turn sign (the black square on the right in the Street View link).  The sign was added sometime between October 2015 and August 2018 based on historic Street View.  I assume that it's triggered when oncoming traffic has a left arrow, and this Street View image seems to confirm that (note the oncoming truck on the left, red lights, and lit up no right turn sign).  Since NY 5 turns here, the most common movement is the turn to stay on NY 5, so it's fairly common for the approach I linked to to have a red ball and a green right arrow while the approach from the right has a green ball and green left arrow.

paulthemapguy

Take a look at this traffic signal, presumably installed by Lake County, IL.  This might be the stupidest signal head placement I've ever seen--look at the post-mounted signal at the far right corner of the intersection, facing the camera.  Northbound traffic can't even see it around the corner!  https://goo.gl/maps/2VvtPwjwjvx

It's this one.  You can't see it from the northbound stop bar at all! https://goo.gl/maps/R7uC5QKphH12
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on April 04, 2019, 01:27:47 PM
A sign along the lines of "No turn on solid red arrow" would be helpful, even though this rule is generally true in most states.

At one point, I started making a map of where certain red-light movements are allowed and prohibited, but I didn't get very far before running out of steam.  But I wonder how many states is "most states" w/r/t turning right on a red arrow.  I suppose it's possible that most states actually allow it–you know, not having actually tallied them up.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 11, 2019, 03:53:09 PM
Take a look at this traffic signal, presumably installed by Lake County, IL.  This might be the stupidest signal head placement I've ever seen--look at the post-mounted signal at the far right corner of the intersection, facing the camera.  Northbound traffic can't even see it around the corner!  https://goo.gl/maps/2VvtPwjwjvx

It's this one.  You can't see it from the northbound stop bar at all! https://goo.gl/maps/R7uC5QKphH12
That's very dumb, but what really bothers me is the dual 4 sections both with left arrows. The left one should be a 3 second all left arrow and the right one should be a 3 section straight

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Placement of signals on the far right corner is typically required by many jurisdictions. At the very least, it reminds drivers to yield to pedestrians.

I have not driven through that intersection, but streetview seems to indicate that if you were looking right while positioned at the stop line, you would be able to see the signal. Many drivers may be looking right, at traffic from the right, to avoid collisions with vehicles running red lights; that signal would be very nearly in their line of sight. That way, if the light turns green, they'll notice (since the overhead lights are way off to the left).

tl;dr ... It's not stupid. There are uses for that signal.

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 11, 2019, 05:10:12 PM
That's very dumb, but what really bothers me is the dual 4 sections both with left arrows. The left one should be a 3 second all left arrow and the right one should be a 3 section straight

It's a split-phased intersection with left, right, and straight through movements. The green orbs are a requirement.

SignBridge

I like near-right corner supplemental signals. They are found at many intersections in California and I believe are standard in Wisconsin. I'd like to see them everywhere.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on April 11, 2019, 05:18:10 PM

Placement of signals on the far right corner is typically required by many jurisdictions. At the very least, it reminds drivers to yield to pedestrians.

I have not driven through that intersection, but streetview seems to indicate that if you were looking right while positioned at the stop line, you would be able to see the signal. Many drivers may be looking right, at traffic from the right, to avoid collisions with vehicles running red lights; that signal would be very nearly in their line of sight. That way, if the light turns green, they'll notice (since the overhead lights are way off to the left).

tl;dr ... It's not stupid. There are uses for that signal.

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 11, 2019, 05:10:12 PM

It's a split-phased intersection with left, right, and straight through movements. The green orbs are a requirement.
I understand it's split phased, that doesn't change the fact of what I said. There are still green orbs, just matching the signals to the lane markings, which should be a requirement

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.