News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

Quote from: okroads on June 04, 2010, 11:49:47 AM
U.S. 265 in Utah?! (taken 5/27/10)

I was back in Provo this past weekend, and this sign goof has been corrected. :(

shoptb1

With all of the summer work on southbound OH-315 in Columbus, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later...315 has become a US highway!   :)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: shoptb1 on August 08, 2010, 03:11:16 PM
With all of the summer work on southbound OH-315 in Columbus, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later...315 has become a US highway!   :)

I like the size of the text on the orange tape jobs through the construction zone there.

CLOSED
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

The Premier

Quote from: shoptb1 on August 08, 2010, 03:11:16 PM

I'm disappointed that SR 315 didn't get exit numbers compared to what they did with SR 8 in Akron. :-o
Alex P. Dent

Bickendan

IMO, every state should follow California's lead and number ALL exits. For all practical purposes, Oregon's done this as I've noted exit numbers on OR 34. OR 126 in Springfield's a special case.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Bickendan on August 10, 2010, 12:54:31 AM
IMO, every state should follow California's lead and number ALL exits.

California's about the last state to feature exit numbers!  :-D
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 01:08:53 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on August 10, 2010, 12:54:31 AM
IMO, every state should follow California's lead and number ALL exits.

California's about the last state to feature exit numbers!  :-D

They may be, but then they're numbering every state-maintained freeway in response, which many other jurisdictions still won't do!

(Now if they'd just add exit numbers to Route 1 north of I-280...which isn't officially a "freeway" despite two interchanges!)
Chris Sampang

Rover_0

Quote from: okroads on August 02, 2010, 10:30:42 AM

I was back in Provo this past weekend, and this sign goof has been corrected. :(

Well, I did let the signing engineer know about this, so I guess I'm to blame on this one, right? :/
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

okroads

Quote from: Rover_0 on August 10, 2010, 02:32:49 PM
Quote from: okroads on August 02, 2010, 10:30:42 AM

Well, I did let the signing engineer know about this, so I guess I'm to blame on this one, right? :/

I guess so... :)

I'm glad I got a picture of it while it was up, though.

Truvelo

This isn't an erroneous sign but an erroneous pavement marking.
Speed limits limit life

xonhulu

I encountered these signs on the Oregon coast yesterday.  Due to a bridge replacement project on OR 53 just south of US 26, through traffic is detoured on US 101 and US 26.  The detour is extensively signed along these routes, but they are a goofy shape that I have seen on a few contractor-posted detours; here's an example:

The real fun came at the US 101/26 junction, where these two warning signs are confused as to what route types 26 and 101 are:

So naturally, at the same intersection:

CL

Oh, my eyes. If there's anything worse than Helvetica on a shield, it's that.
Infrastructure. The city.

WillWeaverRVA

That's really, really ugly. What font IS that?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

joseph1723

Whoa, that's even worse than the Arial shields I posted a while ago, what font did they use?

agentsteel53

that's way better than Helvetica.  It vaguely resembles old Maryland.  Significantly uglier of course, but not nearly as bad as Helvetica.

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 08:51:29 PM
that's way better than Helvetica.  It vaguely resembles old Maryland.  Significantly uglier of course, but not nearly as bad as Helvetica.

Helvetica has class (though it doesn't belong on any road, I agree). That awful font doesn't. Not one penny.
Infrastructure. The city.

agentsteel53

Helvetica has been overused.  That font, if they could keep their stroke width constant, would look decent.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

That is Franklin Gothic. I have only seen it on one road sign before, naturally furnished by our friends at OTA:

As far as "fonts that aren't the correct ones" go, I'd say it's pretty classy. Classier than Arial and Times New Roman, at least. It used to be used in the logo for "The Late Late Show", and when I was growing up as a kid they used to use it on much of the signage at the grocery store we shopped at.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

RustyK

I don't have pictures, but I saw 2 while I was in NJ last week:
1. The long-standing black-and-white, Interstate-shaped, route 9 symbol at Exit 29 on the Parkway north.
2. Work on US 1 near New Brunswick routes one of the thru lanes onto an exit, using the parallel frontage road -- the detour signs show NJ 1, in both the north and south directions.

agentsteel53

Quote from: RustyK on August 13, 2010, 12:59:11 PM
1. The long-standing black-and-white, Interstate-shaped, route 9 symbol at Exit 29 on the Parkway north.

can anyone get a really good detailed closeup of this for the shield gallery?  I once attempted to get a photo but I was driving southbound and the rearward facing shot failed in every way imaginable.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 13, 2010, 01:04:34 PM

can anyone get a really good detailed closeup of this for the shield gallery?  I once attempted to get a photo but I was driving southbound and the rearward facing shot failed in every way imaginable.

I have a halfway decent shot of it, taken back in June. I haven't uploaded my hundreds of pictures from my travels this summer, but once I get them up you are welcome to make use of it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on August 13, 2010, 01:12:02 PM

I have a halfway decent shot of it, taken back in June. I haven't uploaded my hundreds of pictures from my travels this summer, but once I get them up you are welcome to make use of it.

that would be great; thanks!

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Quote from: Troubleshooter on July 29, 2010, 11:18:59 PM
One more - my favorite. Can anyone guess what it means?

It is on a chain-link fence.

GO OUTSIDE FENCE TO GET SHOT

Did you see my image of the sign at the mini-golf course on Portion Road boasting of "F***king For All Ages?"

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 13, 2010, 01:04:34 PM
Quote from: RustyK on August 13, 2010, 12:59:11 PM

can anyone get a really good detailed closeup of this for the shield gallery?  I once attempted to get a photo but I was driving southbound and the rearward facing shot failed in every way imaginable.

Not really erroneous, but definitely not standard, and probably long gone was this wooden sign I video taped in 1997:

Note the two span wire supported light bulbs above the sign too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.