News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic Report Geography

Started by jon daly, August 13, 2018, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnutella

In Pittsburgh, I-376 was named the Penn-Lincoln Parkway because it also carries U.S. 22 and U.S. 30 for most of its length, and those two highways were named William Penn Highway and Lincoln Highway, respectively. As the years passed, the segment east of downtown Pittsburgh became known as the Penn-Lincoln Parkway East, and the segment west of downtown Pittsburgh became known as the Penn-Lincoln Parkway West. After a while, traffic reporters started referring to them as just the Parkway East and Parkway West. Then, when I-279 was built north of downtown Pittsburgh, traffic reporters called it the Parkway North for the sake of continuity, even though it was never part of the Penn-Lincoln Parkway. Also, the segment of I-376 between the Fort Pitt Tunnel and the Boulevard of the Allies is known in some circles as the Parkway Central.

In terms of features along the highways in Pittsburgh, the two most noteworthy are the Fort Pitt and Squirrel Hill Tunnels. The Fort Pitt Tunnel is part of the Parkway West, carrying it to the Fort Pitt Bridge and downtown Pittsburgh, with its famous vista emerging from the tunnel eastbound. The Squirrel Hill Tunnel is part of the Parkway East, about four miles east of downtown Pittsburgh, and is essentially the dividing line between the city of Pittsburgh and its eastern suburbs (the actual city limit is at the Edgewood/Swissvale interchange, less than a mile east of the tunnel). Other features on Pittsburgh highways include Green Tree Hill, which is a large hill on the Parkway West about two miles west of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and The Bathtub, which is a segment of the Parkway Central in downtown Pittsburgh next to the Monongahela River that's prone to flooding.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 23, 2018, 04:54:36 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 23, 2018, 05:25:38 AM
Quote from: GaryV on August 20, 2018, 06:13:39 PM
In Detroit, "The Interchanges" refers to I-94 (Ford Fwy) interchanges with I-75 (Chrysler) and M-10 (Lodge).
I'm from Detroit and am very familiar with Detroit and have never heard that term in my life.
I hear it on WWJ almost every day.
Must be something new. I never hear it on WJR.

bing101

For Sacramento the Cap City Freeway, the WX Freeway and the Elvas freeway.

Cap City Freeway refers to the West End of US-50 and the CA-51

WX Freeway refers to the Western portion of Cap City Freeway.

Elvas Freeway is CA-51 and Business 80.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.