News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP Internet Explorer

Started by LM117, May 22, 2021, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

At least you didn't make him root for the Patriots. There are some lines you just do not cross :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

rickmastfan67

Quote from: kurumi on May 20, 2022, 01:29:03 PM
At least you didn't make him root for the Patriots. There are some lines you just do not cross :-)

Had to keep it on topic.  :-D

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on May 21, 2022, 04:05:32 PM
Quote from: kurumi on May 20, 2022, 01:29:03 PM

https://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-bruins-legend-ray-bourque-crosses-stop-and-shop-picket-line-in-north-andover/27154540

(URL should be enough to get the point)

More people were pissed about that than when he was driving shitfaced in Andover and plowed into a car at a red light. That in itself tells you multiple things wrong about our state.

kphoger

Oh hey, look!  When I open Internet Explorer, I get a popup that says "Internet Explorer 11 retires on June 15, 2022 [...]"  And yet, of course, it still works just fine.  I'm running live reports right now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

IT removed IE from our work PCs last week. The icon was still there and I accidentally clicked it (it was next to the Firefox icon). I got an error message and then the icon vanished.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 20, 2022, 06:36:08 PM
IT removed IE from our work PCs last week. The icon was still there and I accidentally clicked it (it was next to the Firefox icon). I got an error message and then the icon vanished.

Was it removed or eaploded? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Same happened to me. I just hope that all the bookmarks I had were transferred to Edge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Byebye, IE, and don't let the door hit you in the bits in the way out.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2022, 09:21:42 PM

Same happened to me. I just hope that all the bookmarks I had were transferred to Edge.

I didn't have any bookmarks in IE because by the end I was only using it for one website that, until last month, didn't work in any other browser due to how its Java setup was configured.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2022, 04:19:55 PM
Oh hey, look!  When I open Internet Explorer, I get a popup that says "Internet Explorer 11 retires on June 15, 2022 [...]"  And yet, of course, it still works just fine.  I'm running live reports right now.

Quote from: kkt on June 20, 2022, 09:30:38 PM
Byebye, IE, and don't let the door hit you in the bits in the way out.

I don't think "gone" actually means "gone".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Also, with the death of Internet Explorer, Microsoft has made it so Edge is automatically running in the background on startup. You have to disable it from the startup items.

It took a half-hour to restart my computer because of this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US 89

I still miss the look of IE6 on Windows XP.

hbelkins

I will admit to being terribly amused at the lawsuits that were filed because MS made IE an integral part of Windows.

I just wondered why people didn't do what I did, and use IE to download Netscape Navigator, Chrome, or Firefox.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2022, 11:20:46 AMI just wondered why people didn't do what I did, and use IE to download Netscape Navigator, Chrome, or Firefox.

Firefox was great for years, but the later editions are all so slow you can barely even use it.

Also, when Microsoft discontinued IE, it also did something that makes Windows Explorer lock up constantly. Now, Windows Explorer is just a constant cycle of slow performance, lockups, and reloads.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2022, 11:20:46 AM
I will admit to being terribly amused at the lawsuits that were filed because MS made IE an integral part of Windows.

I just wondered why people didn't do what I did, and use IE to download Netscape Navigator, Chrome, or Firefox.

At the time of the DOJ investigation into Microsoft, Chrome and Firefox didn't exist yet.  Netscape Navigator cost money to install on a computer (these were the days when you needed a disk or CD to install a program).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on June 21, 2022, 11:03:53 AM

If I were to use IE6 in the way that I do Firefox, I would have 547 windows on my taskbar. No thanks.

Quote from: bandit957 on June 21, 2022, 10:42:30 AM

Quote from: bandit957 on June 21, 2022, 11:34:28 AM
Also, when Microsoft discontinued IE, it also did something that makes Windows Explorer lock up constantly. Now, Windows Explorer is just a constant cycle of slow performance, lockups, and reloads.

I'll be the first to criticize Windows for being a morbidly flabby piece of software, but I think your computer may just not meet the system requirements to run it anymore.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2022, 04:48:27 AM
Quote from: US 89 on June 21, 2022, 11:03:53 AM

If I were to use IE6 in the way that I do Firefox, I would have 547 windows on my taskbar. No thanks.

Heh. It's 9:30 in the morning and I already have 13 browser tabs open across two browsers (and earlier thing morning I had four .PDFs and two Word documents open as well). Part of it is that one of the websites I use every day throughout the day opens things in new tabs by default. Most of the time I might find that annoying, but for that site it's actually useful because keeping its main page open in one tab makes access to other information a lot easier.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2022, 04:48:27 AM

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2022, 09:35:23 AM
Heh. It's 9:30 in the morning and I already have 13 browser tabs open across two browsers (and earlier thing morning I had four .PDFs and two Word documents open as well). Part of it is that one of the websites I use every day throughout the day opens things in new tabs by default. Most of the time I might find that annoying, but for that site it's actually useful because keeping its main page open in one tab makes access to other information a lot easier.

It's 8:40 am here.

Firefox – 1 window, 1 tab
Chrome – 3 windows, 7 tabs
Internet Explorer – 1 window, 2 tabs

One of the sites I use in Internet Explorer opens links in Edge.

The bulk of my daily work is auditing job pay:  (1) how much our field techs are billing us for the work they do, and (2) how much the MSOs are paying our company for those same jobs.  When I'm in the middle of auditing a given region, my Firefox browser might have 15 tabs open at one time.  This is because each work order in our WMS has a unique URL, and I find it convenient to open a dozen or so at a time and then work through that chunk before moving on.
Male pronouns, please.

bandit957

I've noticed this on recent editions of Firefox: The window will expand to fill the whole screen, overlapping the taskbar at the bottom. It will stay like this for about 30 seconds to a minute. While this is going on, the whole computer is completely locked up. The cursor will spin, but clicking on any program does nothing.

1995hoo

Quote from: bandit957 on June 22, 2022, 09:56:32 AM
I've noticed this on recent editions of Firefox: The window will expand to fill the whole screen, overlapping the taskbar at the bottom. It will stay like this for about 30 seconds to a minute. While this is going on, the whole computer is completely locked up. The cursor will spin, but clicking on any program does nothing.

I have not had that issue on either my home or work PC.

kphoger

I use Firefox every day.  I've never had that happen.

Whenever my whole computer is completely locked up for a few seconds and clicking on a program does nothing, it doesn't seem to depend on what browsers are open at the time.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on June 21, 2022, 08:56:27 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2022, 11:20:46 AM

At the time of the DOJ investigation into Microsoft, Chrome and Firefox didn't exist yet.  Netscape Navigator cost money to install on a computer (these were the days when you needed a disk or CD to install a program).

Not in my case. I had used Macs from 1987 until 1995, when I changed jobs and had to use a PC running Windows 3.1. I didn't have to use a disk to install Netscape. The only browser I had to use a disk to install was the one built-in to the AOL software.

skluth

Quote from: bandit957 on June 21, 2022, 10:42:30 AM
Also, with the death of Internet Explorer, Microsoft has made it so Edge is automatically running in the background on startup. You have to disable it from the startup items.

I haven't bothered to upgrade either of my computers to Windows 11 because of the horror stories I've heard from those trying to use browsers other than Edge with 11. I've tried Edge and I think it's crap.

rickmastfan67

Honestly sounds like you need to do a complete fresh reinstall of your OS.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.