News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

The 1983 Inspector Gadget cartoon showed her niece Penny in various perils and often being the damsel in distress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJm5WVYIMNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9_43asAIAA

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2017, 01:03:58 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 08, 2017, 09:22:49 PM
Quote from: GaryV on July 08, 2017, 04:46:23 PM
Speedy Gonzales.

Ironically, IIRC, Mexicans actually love that character.

Much of the time, it's a very small subset of a culture that gets upset about something. They contact the media; the media does a story about how upset these people are, and eventually someone decides to apologize or change a law or whatever.

In many cases, if you take a careful look at the news story, the protesters may number in the teens or twenties. Careful editing will make it appear that the screen is full of protesters. But you continuously see the same people over and over again.  Most people aren't offended, and the results of the protest make it worse for them rather than helping.
Also to note the same was done with the baseball strike a long while ago.  The media reported how disappointed fans wanted scabs to be hired to play ball while the regular players whined and boycotted playing to have game being played.  However, once replacement players started playing then the same media reported how the fans were not going to watch the game until the real players came back.    As illogical as that sounds, it really is logical because the media in both reports interviewed a different set of fans, but in both cases made it sound like it was the majority both times.

Yes the media can make a few people look like a majority.   That is why we have so many political wars today, as because one newsworthy event in one state's community goes viral it makes one think that the majority is that way when it just a small bunch of people in one corner of the US actually feeling what is being reported.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 10, 2017, 07:18:02 PM
The 1983 Inspector Gadget cartoon showed her niece Penny in various perils and often being the damsel in distress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJm5WVYIMNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9_43asAIAA

I thought Penny and Brian more often than not were the one bailing Gadget out because he was an idiot?  :eyebrow:

Henry

Anything with Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, particularly because the former always gets blown up or falls off a cliff in his attempts to catch the latter. Although, during the one time when he actually succeeds, he holds up a sign saying I FINALLY CAUGHT HIM...NOW WHAT DO I DO? or something to that effect.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kurumi

"They'll never let us show that one again -- not in a million years!"

https://youtu.be/WgMrToJvZwg?t=3m23s

(jump to 3:20; apparently cannot embed a link with a timestamp)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 08, 2017, 09:50:54 PM
http://youtu.be/BJP5f-fsHrs
Believe it or not, that exact commercial was still being shown (though not as frequently) some 15 to 20 years after its initial airing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hm insulators

Underoos! Remember when Underoos came out in the late '70s? Numerous ads on Saturday morning TV featuring children of about nine or ten wearing Underoos dancing, prancing and singing about the advertised product. A pedophile's wet dream come true. Won't ever see that again today!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Big John

SNL skit that aired only once since it took potshots at the parent company:

bandit957

If the networks had any sense, they'd boycott scab baseball games.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on July 12, 2017, 02:47:20 PM
If the networks had any sense, they'd boycott scab baseball games.

Scab games? Like games with non-union players? I mean, we haven't replacement players in a strike in baseball, well, ever (expect for spring training in 1995 - not real baseball).

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2017, 09:28:15 AM

I thought Penny and Brian more often than not were the one bailing Gadget out because he was an idiot?  :eyebrow:

There's that but there's more from what I saw on a website called TVTropes.

mgk920

bing101

jp the roadgeek

Not TV, but just heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits on the radio.  Now, most stations edit the second verse because it contains 3 instances of the British word for cigarette.  Yet, Ill regularly hear the other F word unedited when I hear Who Are You? by The Who.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 16, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
Not TV, but just heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits on the radio.  Now, most stations edit the second verse because it contains 3 instances of the British word for cigarette.  Yet, Ill regularly hear the other F word unedited when I hear Who Are You? by The Who.
To my knowledge, WKLR in Richmond does the opposite. Who Are You is censored and Money For Nothing still has cigarettes.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Does anyone date on TV shows anymore having platonic relationships?

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: Takumi on July 16, 2017, 07:55:02 PM
To my knowledge, WKLR in Richmond does the opposite. Who Are You is censored and Money For Nothing still has cigarettes.
What about the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Pink Floyd's Money? Both songs mention BS in their lyrics, although the former is often edited to "funky stuff"; I don't know about the latter.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Takumi

Quote from: Henry on July 17, 2017, 10:20:56 AM
What about the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Pink Floyd's Money? Both songs mention BS in their lyrics, although the former is often edited to "funky stuff"; I don't know about the latter.
Jet Airliner was censored, Money wasn't.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mgk920

Quote from: Takumi on July 17, 2017, 10:25:23 AM

Many radio stations did censor Money, too.

Mike

capt.ron

Beavis and Butthead (early 1990's episodes).

thenetwork

I thought the edited version of "Jet Airliner" said "Funky Kicks going down in the city"???

cjk374

Quote from: mgk920 on July 17, 2017, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: Takumi on July 17, 2017, 10:25:23 AM

Many radio stations did censor Money, too.

Mike

I hear the unedited versions of Money, Jet Airliner, & $$ for Nothing on my radio TODAY.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

dvferyance

Mr Haney used the W word which refers to an illegal immigrant on Green Acres. I believe Mr Kimball also used that same word on the show. That was back in 1965 would never be allowed on TV today.

roadman65

Money for Nothing got the F word deleted in some stations. I believe that was originally a crack toward George Michael's sexuality in its video. Now it would be controversial to use it of course.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.