News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona Coyotes moving to Tempe / East Valley of Phoenix metro area

Started by Pink Jazz, November 14, 2016, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

The deal with ASU wasn't reached - this means the Arizona Coyotes would be Atlanta's or Houston's or Seattle's (a figure of speech) in the 2020s. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/arizona-coyotes-arena-deal-dead-asu-pulls-out-033421590.html

The Coyotes have a minor league affiliate in Tucson - the Roadrunners. It would be cool for a regional rivalry vs Vegas Golden Knights. If the Coyotes want to remain in a warm weather place, talk to Tucson, but they're a minor league sports town (although they have a population, expands during the winter season) more similar to Las Vegas.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Desert Man

Update: I'm certain the Coyotes will stay in Arizona and in the Phoenix metro area. The NHL expanded to nearby Las Vegas (the Golden Knights' 1st year was a really good one). Maybe this can help the NHL expand to Houston (largest North American city without a NHL team), Quebec city (the Nordiques, 1972-95) and Seattle (the most likely candidate).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Desert Man on May 02, 2018, 11:05:11 AM
Update: I'm certain the Coyotes will stay in Arizona and in the Phoenix metro area. The NHL expanded to nearby Las Vegas (the Golden Knights' 1st year was a really good one). Maybe this can help the NHL expand to Houston (largest North American city without a NHL team), Quebec city (the Nordiques, 1972-95) and Seattle (the most likely candidate).

If the Coyotes can't get public funding to build a new arena, then tribal land is the only option if they want to stay in Arizona.  I know many suggest building up by Talking Stick Resort, but I personally think such location is overrated since it ignores the fanbase in Chandler and Gilbert, which is almost as large as the fanbase in Scottsdale.  A more central location that would be more inclusive of the fanbase in Chandler and Gilbert while still being on tribal land would be over by the Phoenix Rising FC stadium on the south edge of the reservation.

abefroman329

Quote from: Desert Man on November 09, 2017, 10:31:54 AM
The deal with ASU wasn't reached - this means the Arizona Coyotes would be Atlanta's or Houston's or Seattle's (a figure of speech) in the 2020s. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/arizona-coyotes-arena-deal-dead-asu-pulls-out-033421590.html

The Coyotes have a minor league affiliate in Tucson - the Roadrunners. It would be cool for a regional rivalry vs Vegas Golden Knights. If the Coyotes want to remain in a warm weather place, talk to Tucson, but they're a minor league sports town (although they have a population, expands during the winter season) more similar to Las Vegas.

They're not going to Atlanta.  Atlanta has had two NHL teams and one IHL team, and none of the three worked out.

Alps

Quote from: Desert Man on May 02, 2018, 11:05:11 AM
STOP posting fictional ideas in every thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.