News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Let's get a 2016-17 NFL playoff thread going

Started by epzik8, January 08, 2017, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 26, 2017, 11:11:26 PM
The Patriots have won enough Super Bowls across the years with different rosters that I think it proves:

Every position/occupation other than Head Coach and QB is pretty irrelevant.

I would NOT go that far.  If that was the case, the Packers would be in the Super Bowl every year playing them.   :wow:  They got creamed by the Falcons partly due to a defense that could not have stopped the Falcons offense in its sleep.

Also the Broncos won the Super Bowl last year almost entirely due to its defense.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

LM117

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 27, 2017, 06:50:02 AMAlso the Broncos won the Super Bowl last year almost entirely due to its defense.

You just HAD to bring that up! :poke: :ded:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

AlexandriaVA

Right, and where were the Broncos this year? Trend analysis can allow for one-off flukes. I should have added that if you're looking at the best strategy for increasing the odds of winning a Super Bowl in any given season.

Pete from Boston

Folks in New England still love to perpetuate the idea that people dislike the Patriots simply out of envy.  It's completely lost on them that to the casual fan, this is getting dull.

texaskdog

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 27, 2017, 10:02:04 PM
Folks in New England still love to perpetuate the idea that people dislike the Patriots simply out of envy.  It's completely lost on them that to the casual fan, this is getting dull.

I'm cheering for the Patriots and I know how hated they truly are.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 28, 2017, 02:12:24 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 27, 2017, 10:02:04 PM

I'm cheering for the Patriots and I know how hated they truly are.

I usually go for whatever team has the most University of Michigan players (god knows the Lions won't be in the Super Bowl anytime soon) for the most part since they are my college team.  That being the case the Patriots obviously have Tom Brady but had other notable UofM players like Ty Law for a long time.  Besides why would I want teams other than mine to succeed or end long championship droughts?  The Falcons have never won anything, the Lions last won a championship back in 1957....so yeah, doesn't do anything for me.  Back when the Cardinals were in the Super Bowl I got a whole bunch my neighbors all relied up (I was living in Phoenix) because I didn't want their streak from 1947 to end and push the Lions back yet another peg.

But for the casual fan I think that they just want to see something new.  The Patriots do have a seedy reputation with all the minor level scandals over the years on top of all the championships they have already won.  Its ironic to me because I remember when I was living in Connecticut as a kid that they really weren't much of anything other than another bad team.

Alps

I can't wait for the Pro Bowl.
said no one ever

dvferyance

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 27, 2017, 06:50:02 AM
The Patriots have won enough Super Bowls across the years with different rosters that I think it proves:

I would NOT go that far.  If that was the case, the Packers would be in the Super Bowl every year playing them.   :wow:  They got creamed by the Falcons partly due to a defense that could not have stopped the Falcons offense in its sleep.

Also the Broncos won the Super Bowl last year almost entirely due to its defense.
The Packers were very lucky they got as far as they did this year. Had they lost one or two more games in the regular season which was very possible they would not have even been in the playoffs.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2017, 11:25:04 AM
I can't wait for the Pro Bowl.
said no one ever

Weird it showed up in Orlando of all places.  Probably still wouldn't have gone if I was still living there. 

ET21

Anyone hoping the Patriots win so it forces Goodell to hand the trophy to Brady?  :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on February 02, 2017, 06:20:58 PM
Anyone hoping the Patriots win so it forces Goodell to hand the trophy to Brady?  :-D
You know the whole thing is a shell game. Goodell loves the cheaters because they rake in money around the country, both from those who bandwagon for them and those who hate them (buying more stuff for the other 31 teams to counter).

LM117

Quote from: ET21 on February 02, 2017, 06:20:58 PM

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kurumi

The year of the Rooster (鳥) must surely bring good fortune upon the Falcons (笨鳥).

Other Super Bowl vocabulary: football (手卵), Patriots (白人), guacamole (緑泥), Budweiser (水).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CNGL-Leudimin

From now I decided to root for whoever has the longest championship drought. In this case the Atlanta Falcons since they have never won a Super Bowl, which keeps in line with all the hate towards the New England Patriots.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

dvferyance

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 27, 2017, 06:50:02 AM

The Packers lost because they over preformed and eventually ran out of gas. They had to go on the road at Dallas come home to Green Bay then play at Atlanta. That's a tough place to be in especially when you win 8 games in a row.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: dvferyance on February 04, 2017, 11:42:26 PM
The Packers lost because they over preformed and eventually ran out of gas. They had to go on the road at Dallas come home to Green Bay then play at Atlanta. That's a tough place to be in especially when you win 8 games in a row.

Somehow it's easier to take a blow-out loss than a dramatic, last minute loss as a fan.  When you're blown away, there's never only one or two things to get outraged at.  Clearly nothing went right the thoughts of "if only" don't gnaw at you.
I've experienced both in recent years and I can say definitively, this one sucked less.

The only person in the NFL I might dislike more than the High Commissioner is Tom Brady.  Well, there's also Belichek... and Robert Kraft.  Ooh, and Jerry Jones is another asshole.  No, I can't start counting owners, because most of them are scum.  Seriously, the majority of NFL team owners are awful human beings who deserve cancer.  That's a different level of 'fuck you'.  Brady is a saint compared to them.  So I'll stick with players.  Brady probably tops my list of most dislikable players.  Which is saying something in a league with routine DUI's, steroid use, alleged sexual assault, occasional attempted murder and rampant domestic abuse.  There's just something about his smarmy, punchable face that causes me to dislike Tom Brady more than guys who beat up girlfriends and forced dogs to kill each other.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 05, 2017, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on February 04, 2017, 11:42:26 PM

Somehow it's easier to take a blow-out loss than a dramatic, last minute loss as a fan.  When you're blown away, there's never only one or two things to get outraged at.  Clearly nothing went right the thoughts of "if only" don't gnaw at you.
I've experienced both in recent years and I can say definitively, this one sucked less.

The only person in the NFL I might dislike more than the High Commissioner is Tom Brady.  Well, there's also Belichek... and Robert Kraft.  Ooh, and Jerry Jones is another asshole.  No, I can't start counting owners, because most of them are scum.  Seriously, the majority of NFL team owners are awful human beings who deserve cancer.  That's a different level of 'fuck you'.  Brady is a saint compared to them.  So I'll stick with players.  Brady probably tops my list of most dislikable players.  Which is saying something in a league with routine DUI's, steroid use, alleged sexual assault, occasional attempted murder and rampant domestic abuse.  There's just something about his smarmy, punchable face that causes me to dislike Tom Brady more than guys who beat up girlfriends and forced dogs to kill each other.
You are dramatic and slightly scary but I endorse the above paragraph.

english si

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 05, 2017, 12:32:34 PMSomehow it's easier to take a blow-out loss than a dramatic, last minute loss as a fan.
The "what might have been" issue. I take England's Euro '96 and France '98 exits more severely than getting schooled by Iceland (who should have been schooled by England) in Euro '16 - part of that is the age I was, part of that is the 'old enemy' part of the losses (Germany and Argentina respectively), but most of that was the closeness of the fixture.

Both went through overtime and then penalties - Euro '96 going beyond the five and into sudden death.

'98 is worse as there's injustice: Simeone fouled Beckham with a challenge that was a red card offence in that tournement (and certainly a yellow). Beckham reacted and got sent off, but Simeone got a mere yellow, for diving in response to Beckham's reaction and then scored the winning penalty. England also had an overtime goal disallowed for little-to-no reason.

Buck87

Great half by Atlanta. Scored on the ground, through the air, and with their defense.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2017, 08:05:33 PM
Great half by Atlanta. Scored on the ground, through the air, and with their defense.

I just want to see a good game, not a rehash of almost every 80s and 90s Super Bowl blow out.   

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 05, 2017, 08:20:23 PM

I just want to see a good game, not a rehash of almost every 80s and 90s Super Bowl blow out.

You're probably the minority. Most of us would love to see the Patriots get destroyed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

english si

Some issues for the Falcons, like giving away penalties they didn't need to and which saved the Pats skins a few times, albeit at the expense of another round of make Brady feel inadequate and get roughed up. My highlight of the first half - that disappointed and frustrated face on Brady as he sat down to make way for the kicking team to give them something to take into the second half.

And is it me, but did all that first block of Gaga songs blend so easily as they were so similar? And I'm guessing the crowd on the field are not in the stands when the football is out - it seems like they would have needed training to do the light show (which needed all the bathroom lights in the stadium off!!).

The one time the Pats were behind by 18+ at half time in the last 10 seasons, they won that game. And it's looking like Atlanta's Offense is a bit rusty after an hour of real time with nothing to do, plus little pressure with the defense being so strong, and the scoreline meaning a lack of demand for points (bad news for us seeking the Pats getting destroyed).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on February 05, 2017, 08:22:54 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 05, 2017, 08:20:23 PM

You're probably the minority. Most of us would love to see the Patriots get destroyed.

Probably, but I'm a Lions fan and I have literally no stake in this game at all.  Get Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago involved then we're talking a different story.  Right now I'm getting ready to watch something else if the Falcons get in the end zone again.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.