News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

No Trucks This Lane

Started by fillup420, May 07, 2021, 09:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 08, 2021, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on May 08, 2021, 07:11:24 PM
That actually could be seen as a little unfair. Many average drivers will ignore or miss that sign and get angry with truckers for using the left lane, when they don't understand that they are required to at that moment. The truckers have to choose between following the law or not causing irritation or even road rage.

Look, nobody causes road rage except the person engaging in road rage.  If a person is upset with another driver's behavior, it's that person's choice to either be a patient, safe driver or someone who flips their shit on a whim.  People who engage in road rage are responsible for their own actions; drivers whose behavior might annoy them, especially when doing so in accordance with the law, are not.

This shouldn't even have to be said, but here we are.
Yes, but if situations such as keeping trucks out of the left lane can be done to avoid the possibility of causing someone to react in a way that endangers other motorists, that's what's he referencing.

tolbs17

I was thinking on a six lane freeway, trucks can only use the right 2 lanes.

Flint1979

Trucks go over in the left lane on a six-lane freeway anyway it don't make any sense they have the right two lanes to ride in and yet they just plop right over in the left lane like they belong there when they really don't.

tolbs17

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 08, 2021, 11:46:08 PM
Trucks go over in the left lane on a six-lane freeway anyway it don't make any sense they have the right two lanes to ride in and yet they just plop right over in the left lane like they belong there when they really don't.
That's how it is in New Jersey.

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 08, 2021, 11:46:08 PM
From what I've seen, trucks usually will only use the left most lane on a 6 lane freeway when they're impatiently being held up by slower trucks in both the two lanes. And then usually they get right back over when they finish their outer pass. And if they're that impatient enough to go for the double pass, it's usually not a micro pass, it's decently quick and over with.

But that's my experience. Yours could very.

ran4sh

From what I've seen of GDOT standards, trucks are supposed to be banned from all but the right 2 lanes whenever there are 3 or more lanes in the same direction. For example, a 10 lane freeway (5 each way), trucks should be banned from the left 3 lanes. But in practice, what I usually see is trucks being banned from the left 2 lanes while being permitted to use the right 3 or more lanes.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ET21

Trucks always must use the right most lanes here. 3+ lanes in one direction they are allowed at least 2 right lanes.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: ET21 on May 10, 2021, 04:46:18 PM
Trucks always must use the right most lanes here. 3+ lanes in one direction they are allowed at least 2 right lanes.

Same here with Indiana. Trucks have to use the right two lanes on 3-lane sections. The only place that I've seen trucks have to use the right 2 lanes on 4+ lane sections is on I-80/94, and that was a more recent change.

roadman65

We have implemented it in Florida on parts of I-4 and I-95, but some truckers ignore it and drive anyway where they are not wanted.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

youd hardly notice they dont obey

US 89

I-15 is filled with "NO VEHICLES OVER 12000 GVW IN LEFT 2 LANES" and "NO VEHICLES TOWING TRAILERS IN LEFT 2 LANES" signs throughout the Wasatch Front metropolitan area. In my experience the first one is followed pretty well, but the second one not so much. I see pickups pulling trailers in the left lane on a fairly regular basis.

sprjus4

Quote from: US 89 on May 12, 2021, 06:09:13 PM
I-15 is filled with "NO VEHICLES OVER 12000 GVW IN LEFT 2 LANES" and "NO VEHICLES TOWING TRAILERS IN LEFT 2 LANES" signs throughout the Wasatch Front metropolitan area. In my experience the first one is followed pretty well, but the second one not so much. I see pickups pulling trailers in the left lane on a fairly regular basis.
Not sure of the point on banning vehicles with trailers... if a vehicle can maintain the flow of traffic and is actively passing, I see no reason.

Then again, given the highway speed limits are 70 mph there, I can see reason to not want a vehicle pulling a trailer hauling 75-80+ mph in the left lanes, but then regardless I'm sure it happens anyways.

UCFKnights

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 08, 2021, 11:32:52 AM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on May 08, 2021, 10:17:27 AM
Truck left lane restrictions can also be zone-specific. I have seen several "END LEFT LANE RESTRICTION" signs where the prohibition ended and trucks were once again allowed to use the left lane.
I saw a lot of those along I-75 in Florida. Not sure why they just weren't restricted from the left lane throughout. Likely due to urban areas, but the speed limit remained at 70 mph the whole way.
For the most part its tied to areas that either have left exits or that have exits that have a lot of traffic merging and trucks need to get out of the way to make room for the merging traffic.

Here's a sign that literally says "No Trucks This Lane" for completeness:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6194512,-82.3882541,3a,75y,143.54h,105.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbd6TS50WvhgYNT4cWLlheg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So many drivers refuse to use the right lane in Florida when the road is 3 or more lanes, for some unknown reason, so trucks end up using the left lane to pass those who refuse to get out of the center lane even with the restriction. Never seen or heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 12, 2021, 06:50:56 PM

Quote from: US 89 on May 12, 2021, 06:09:13 PM

Not sure of the point on banning vehicles with trailers... if a vehicle can maintain the flow of traffic and is actively passing, I see no reason.

The same could be said about vehicles over 12000 GVW:  as long as they can maintain the flow of traffic, then what's the difference?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.