News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-55 Bridge in Memphis

Started by Charles2, October 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

I believe the tunnel discussion is about a third Mississippi crossing, not reviving the rightfully dead Overton Park thing.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

edwaleni

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on February 19, 2024, 01:37:16 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 19, 2024, 01:03:56 PMThere are tunnels under SF Bay.

The Transbay Tube was constructed in sections on land which were then floated out to the right location, submerged into a prepared trench, and then cushioned/fastened to the bottom with sand and gravel.

Constructing this way, and by avoiding bedrock, is thought to cushion the tunnel in such a way as to reduce the chance of failure in an earthquake.

I suppose that something equivalent could be done in Memphis, by cutting a trench, building the highway in the trench, and then covering/cushioning structure, but such a construction tactic would have many of the same park-disruption problems that killed the original I-40 ROW, plus the added disruption to all the houses that have since been constructed in the former right of way.   (I haven't paid attention to where things stand with the last un-redeveloped plot of the ROW.  Last I heard, neighborhood folks were trying to fix a problem of having no nearby parks, while developers were chomping at the bit at the prospect of being able to build in a part of town seen as up-and-coming.)

The only way you'd get I-40 tunneled under Memphis is by boring through the loess.   It'd be easy to bore the tunnels; it'd be far more difficult to bore the tunnels in such a way as to survive various potential causes of collapse.  (Although, in fairness, Google tells me that the Chinese have had some success...and a few failures...in this regard.)

I still don't see that happening to save 3 miles in a city that has been pursuing road diets, in a state that tends to be miserly when it comes to transportation projects in that part of the state.

Not I-40.  I was thinking I-55 using one on the recommended crossings posted earlier. One that completely eliminates crossing in the downtown.

While a direct tunnel is preferred usually due to costs, I am thinking of a NW/SE tunnel of I-55 that goes under on the Arkansas side either east of Bridgeport Road and come back out on the TN side either at McLemore, or a longer one with its entry at Bridgeport Road, but directed further SSE with a ventilation section on Presidents Island, going under MLK Park and coming up at Riverport Road.

The longer one becomes a sort of west bypass of downtown Memphis but retains the M-A bridge, the limited access to downtown Memphis, and takes all the pass through trucks off the M-A and the 1 lane circle ramp to go/from the south.

wdcrft63

Has the Brent Spence solution been proposed here?
In Cincinnati the existing 8-lane bridge will be relieved by building a new 10-lane bridge to carry the through traffic on I-71/75. The existing bridge will be reduced to 6 lanes with shoulders and limited to local traffic.
The Memphis version would be a new bridge somewhere to the south to carry the I-55 traffic with the old bridge limited to local traffic in and out of the city.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 19, 2024, 02:48:45 PM
I believe the tunnel discussion is about a third Mississippi crossing, not reviving the rightfully dead Overton Park thing.

I missed that or I'm getting threads messed up.  Mea culpa.

Henry

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 19, 2024, 07:45:14 PM
In Cincinnati the existing 8-lane bridge will be relieved by building a new 10-lane bridge to carry the through traffic on I-71/75. The existing bridge will be reduced to 6 lanes with shoulders and limited to local traffic.
The Memphis version would be a new bridge somewhere to the south to carry the I-55 traffic with the old bridge limited to local traffic in and out of the city.
I don't see what Cincinnati has to do with this, and they're probably not thinking about it right now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bwana39

Quote from: Henry on February 19, 2024, 11:47:59 PM
I don't see what Cincinnati has to do with this, and they're probably not thinking about it right now.

I think the point is to build a new bridge to connect to I-55 south of the French Fort and repurpose The M&A for local traffic. There has been hundreds of comments discussing that possibility. It even SEEMS to make better sense than what they currently have on the table.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: bwana39 on February 20, 2024, 12:57:37 PM

I think the point is to build a new bridge to connect to I-55 south of the French Fort and repurpose The M&A for local traffic. There has been hundreds of comments discussing that possibility. It even SEEMS to make better sense than what they currently have on the table.
to be fair, they do need a new crossing sometime soon, something 10-laned thats basically cable stayed and a massive widening project east into town, away from downtown, and west around west memphis.
the cable stayed bridge would be much better at resisting earthquakes and tornadoes if done right, and the new crossing  would have piles going hundreds of feet in the ground to better withstand liquefaction that would be caused by the mississippi.
and it would obviously need to be tolled. now the city of memphis can basically add whatever they want to the bridge, including billboards, variable message signage, and whatever else they want, including a fancy new sign that showcases memphis' history and culture.
building such a bridge could also in theory jumpstart programs needed to get memphis from a crime ridden, and corrupt city, to basically something a bit better than they got currently and could help bring much needed economic jobs to the area.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

MikieTimT

Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on March 08, 2024, 08:43:48 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 20, 2024, 12:57:37 PM

to be fair, they do need a new crossing sometime soon, something 10-laned thats basically cable stayed and a massive widening project east into town, away from downtown, and west around west memphis.
the cable stayed bridge would be much better at resisting earthquakes and tornadoes if done right, and the new crossing  would have piles going hundreds of feet in the ground to better withstand liquefaction that would be caused by the mississippi.
and it would obviously need to be tolled. now the city of memphis can basically add whatever they want to the bridge, including billboards, variable message signage, and whatever else they want, including a fancy new sign that showcases memphis' history and culture.
building such a bridge could also in theory jumpstart programs needed to get memphis from a crime ridden, and corrupt city, to basically something a bit better than they got currently and could help bring much needed economic jobs to the area.

I would certainly pay a reasonable toll (up to $8) to completely bypass W. Memphis/Memphis to the south and connect to I-269/I-22.  It's that segment alone that incentivized me to take I-530/US-65 to I-20/US-49 to the Gulf Coast from NWA for beach trips every 2-3 years.

A bridge that bypasses Memphis probably doesn't do much to jump start tourism or urban renewal, however, so it'll take tolling or federal funding before it's likely.

bwana39

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Rothman on March 12, 2024, 06:59:14 AM
"M&A" is a thing?

Oh yes.  Even before I-55 was a thing since the bridge predates the Interstate Highway System.  Memphis & Arkansas is what it stands for.

Just hoping we don't have another group of Palestine protestors on the I-40 bridge shutting down all interstate traffic again.

bwana39

Great Lakes Roads

I-55 Mississippi River Bridge replacement project (or as TDOT is calling it, "The America's River Crossing").

All options are in the cable-stayed bridge design, but it's on the number of spans and towers.

1. Two towers with four spans
2. Three towers with four spans
3. Two towers with three spans

The new bridge will have four 12-foot travel lanes with two 12-foot auxiliary lanes and 12-foot shoulders on both sides.

Plutonic Panda

Good deal! I watched the video and there are renderings in it. Your wording did confuse me a bit about the number of travel lanes added. It looks the bridge will have 3 lanes each way with two being GP lanes and one being an auxiliary lane. I'm guessing the third auxiliary lane will exit at Crump BLVD.

wriddle082

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 19, 2024, 12:34:46 PMGood deal! I watched the video and there are renderings in it. Your wording did confuse me a bit about the number of travel lanes added. It looks the bridge will have 3 lanes each way with two being GP lanes and one being an auxiliary lane. I'm guessing the third auxiliary lane will exit at Crump BLVD.

Yes I'm assuming that's the case.  Extending the third lane further south would be very messy, since 55 run in a concrete canyon for a couple of miles.  And Arkansas likely won't extend that third lane much past the first exit, since ultimately there is a duplex with 40 up ahead.

vdeane

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 19, 2024, 05:23:39 PMAnd Arkansas likely won't extend that third lane much past the first exit, since ultimately there is a duplex with 40 up ahead.
Exit 3B would seem to be a nice place to end it, since that's where US 70 merges in with the West Memphis traffic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wriddle082

Quote from: vdeane on April 19, 2024, 10:53:33 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on April 19, 2024, 05:23:39 PMAnd Arkansas likely won't extend that third lane much past the first exit, since ultimately there is a duplex with 40 up ahead.
Exit 3B would seem to be a nice place to end it, since that's where US 70 merges in with the West Memphis traffic.

Yeah that might be a good spot.  There are some issues with the bridges over the swamps between that point and the river, so this might be an excuse for ArDOT to rebuild those bridges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.