News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 412 Bypass - Springdale, Arkansas

Started by bjrush, December 05, 2014, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 09, 2012, 09:00:48 PM
"Aerotropolis" is now enshrined in MAP-21, too (page 70/599 of pdf; page 70 of document):
"˜"˜(i) DEFINITION OF AEROTROPOLIS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM.–
In this section, the term "˜aerotropolis transportation system' means a planned and coordinated multimodal freight and passenger transportation network that, as determined by the Secretary, provides efficient, cost-effective, sustainable, and intermodal connectivity to a defined region of economic significance centered around a major airport.''
(above quote from Georgia thread)
Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2012, 11:32:29 AM
Great, another shitty buzzword.
(above quote from I-69 in MI; Interstate 69 Corridor Aerotropolis thread)
Quote from: AHTD on February 09, 2015, 01:24:33 PM
The Springdale bypass is being constructed as a four-lane divided, FULLY CONTROLLED ACCESS (read: Interstate) facility. At this time the only exits/interchanges along the route are at I-49 and State Highway 112 .... the airport access road will be constructed and maintained by the airport authority. It will not become part of the state highway system but rather exist as a private drive.
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 09, 2015, 05:41:43 PM
I'm sure it's a long shot, but since this will be an Interstate-grade facility, is there any chance of an I-149 designation?

When I first saw a recent AHTD slide providing an update on NWA I-49 projects that was discussed in this post, I noticed that this US 412 project was included as one of the projects, and I thought that AHTD intended to designate an I-x49 from I-49 to the airport entrance road under some sort of an aerotropolis concept for the booming NWA area.

However, upon reflection, I decided that the greater probability is that it was included simply because it involves construction of an interchange along I-49.  Oh, well .......

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 13, 2015, 11:13:38 AM
When I first saw a recent AHTD slide providing an update on NWA I-49 projects that was discussed in this post, I noticed that this US 412 project was included as one of the projects, and I thought that AHTD intended to designate an I-x49 from I-49 to the airport entrance road under some sort of an aerotropolis concept for the booming NWA area.
However, upon reflection, I decided that the greater probability is that it was included simply because it involves construction of an interchange along I-49.

This article reports that the groundbreaking for the project will be April 15 and that the "new new route for U.S. 412 will run between Arkansas 112 and Interstate 49...":

Regional planners were told Thursday the ground breaking for the first 4.5-mile section of the long-awaited U.S. 412 Springdale Northern Bypass is set for April 15.
The new new route for U.S. 412 will run between Arkansas 112 and Interstate 49 north of the city.

The bypass is intended to relieve congestion through Springdale on Sunset Boulevard, South Thompson and Robinson Avenue, the city's main east-west route, which is designated U.S. 412. Traffic studies say about 25,000 vehicles a day travel the route, according to highway officials.
The project includes divided highway, 12 bridges and new interchanges at Arkansas 112, just north of Marchant Road and Carrie Smith Road, and I-49 between Wagon Wheel Road and Arkansas 264. It includes the re-routing and replacement of side roads along the corridor, according to the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department.

Quote from: Grzrd on December 09, 2012, 09:00:48 PM
"Aerotropolis" is now enshrined in MAP-21, too (page 70/599 of pdf; page 70 of document):
"˜"˜(i) DEFINITION OF AEROTROPOLIS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM.–
In this section, the term "˜aerotropolis transportation system' means a planned and coordinated multimodal freight and passenger transportation network that, as determined by the Secretary, provides efficient, cost-effective, sustainable, and intermodal connectivity to a defined region of economic significance centered around a major airport.''
(above quote from Georgia thread)

The above-linked article also reports that the airport access road will be restricted access:

The section is also the jumping off point for a proposed new access road to the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport.
The access road can connect where the bypass will intersect with Arkansas 112
rather than the airport road going south eight miles all the way to U.S. 412 as was originally envisioned. The connection point at Arkansas 112 will save about four miles of road construction. The road to the airport will be a restricted access highway.
Airport officials are in the process of obtaining final environmental approval for an airport access road that will connect to the bypass. The airport has about $14 million in federal money for the estimated $30 million project and is working to find the rest.

Hmmmmm.......  :hmm:

NE2

They probably mean limited/controlled access.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2015, 12:18:25 AM
Yes. The airport road will be a privately-owned toll facility, if memory serves correct.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: US71 on March 21, 2015, 12:38:34 AM
Yes. The airport road will be a privately-owned toll facility, if memory serves correct.
That's silly. You presumably have to pay to park, so why not just raise that if you need to pay for the access road?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2015, 01:39:21 AM
That's silly. You presumably have to pay to park, so why not just raise that if you need to pay for the access road?
If Wal-Mart wills it, it will happen.

dfwmapper

More money to be made by also charging cars that are just dropping off or picking up passengers.

rte66man

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 21, 2015, 07:20:55 PM
More money to be made by also charging cars that are just dropping off or picking up passengers.

Spoken like a man who has been to DFW.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

NE2

Quote from: rte66man on March 21, 2015, 08:47:19 PM
Quote from: dfwmapper on March 21, 2015, 07:20:55 PM

Spoken like a man who has been to DFW.
What's interesting is that the cash toll is $2 for 0-8 minutes (i.e. passing through) but only $1 for 8-30 minutes.

dfwmapper

It's $2 cash for 0-30 minutes, or $1 with a TollTag. Before the DFW Connector project finished and widened SH 114 to 23 lanes (not hyperbole, there really is a part that is 23 lanes wide between the frontage roads, freeways, and express lanes), it was often faster to cut through the airport than slog through that bullshit. Probably not needed as a deterrent anymore now that it's done, but have you seen how nice the renovated terminals look? Have to pay for them somehow.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 20, 2015, 11:42:18 PM
This article
Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2015, 01:39:21 AM

In terms of actual monetary figures, the above-linked article indicates that $14 million of federal money is already allocated for the access road and that the airport needs to come up with approximately another $16 million to build it:

Airport officials are in the process of obtaining final environmental approval for an airport access road that will connect to the bypass. The airport has about $14 million in federal money for the estimated $30 million project and is working to find the rest.

AHTD

We held a groundbreaking ceremony last week to officially get construction underway on the first segment. Take a look!

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

intelati49

Quote from: AHTD on April 23, 2015, 10:50:01 AM
We held a groundbreaking ceremony last week to officially get construction underway on the first segment. Take a look!

vimeo movie

Woah, so I'm way behind here. *Scurries off to AHTD website*

Edit: So basically exactly the west side of the Exhibits that I have... Never would have guessed...

US71

I got a quick glance today from Ar 112 There are bridge columns under construction for a bridge on 112 over the 412 Bypass. One appears to be finished, but I didn't have a good place to stop for any further investigation (there is almost NO shoulder on 112 and I found no good places to turn off).

AHTD

Yes, Arkansas State Highway 112 will be routed over the bypass. The interchange at 112 will be one of two. The other is at I-49.

The bypass will only go as far as 112 unless somebody builds something else we can connect to. :hmmm:
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 20, 2015, 11:42:18 PM
This article .... reports that the airport access road will be restricted access:
The section is also the jumping off point for a proposed new access road to the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport.
The access road can connect where the bypass will intersect with Arkansas 112
rather than the airport road going south eight miles all the way to U.S. 412 as was originally envisioned. The connection point at Arkansas 112 will save about four miles of road construction. The road to the airport will be a restricted access highway.

This article reports that two potential routes for the airport access road have been identified, that environmental studies are ongoing, that one of the two routes will probably be abandoned because of impact on snail darter habitat, and that the road could possibly open in spring or summer of 2019:

Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport officials hope to have a long-awaited access road built and open by spring or summer 2019, if all goes well.
The access road is expected to be a restricted highway about 4 miles long and will connect where the U.S. 412 Northern Bypass intersects with Arkansas 112.
The airport has about $14 million in federal money for the estimated $30 million project and is working to find the rest ....
Officials hope to have environmental impact studies submitted to state and federal highway officials in December and to be in position to request public input hearings about the location of the road.
Both routes are around the southwest side of Cave Springs and outside the Cave Springs Recharge Area.
As always in Northwest Arkansas, a tiny fish could play a role. In this case it's the snail darter. Habitat of the protected species was found in the area and is likely to result in one of the routes being abandoned.
"The darter will have a big impact on the route," said Jerry Farrar, a consultant from CH2M Hill. "Our biggest concern is dealing with (U.S.) Fish and Wildlife."

Quote from: AHTD on March 16, 2014, 09:41:53 PM
The first leg of the Springdale northern bypass to be constructed will be funded by the half-cent sales tax approved by Arkansas voters in November 2012.
http://www.connectingarkansasprogram.com/corridors/21/highway-412-benton-county/
This will extend from I-540 to State Highway 112. HOWEVER...we will construct a usable section just past State Highway 112 to the point where the XNA access road will tie-in. Public access will end at State Highway  112, but should XNA build its access road, we'll have something for them to connect with.
All questions about the XNA access road should be directed to that authority.
(above quote from Is there still a four-lane road planned to get to XNA airport? thread)

Also, officials are considering whether to initially build just two lanes, and AHTD may build approximately one mile of the road that will connect with the U.S. 412 interchange:

Farrar said consultants need to accelerate their efforts to update cost estimates for right-of-way acquisition and design for the project. No concrete decisions have been made on whether to do the full four-lane project or to begin by grading for four lanes and build two.
Scott Van Laningham, executive director of the airport, said the highway department is considering doing about a mile of the road on the south end beginning at the Arkansas 112 interchange, but no decision has been made.

Highway crews are moving earth for an interchange just south of Cave Springs that will be part of the U.S. 412 Bypass and the jumping off point for the access road. The bypass route runs from Interstate 49 near the Wagon Wheel Road interchange east to Arkansas 112.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.