News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Big December Storm

Started by Pete from Boston, December 31, 2015, 12:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Only somewhat off-topic, as Interstate 55 seems to be closing in Missouri due to flooding:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2015/12/31/officials-say-highway-near-louis-could-close-amid-flooding/5cvfwm2LngIIz3XkuZms6J/story.html

I was in the lower Ohio Valley earlier this week.  4.5 inches of rain fell in two and a half days.  All the river-bottom flood-plain farmland was under water, and the water is of course still rising.

And if the interconnectedness of global weather was ever in doubt, this storm is apparently causing astounding high temperatures at the North Pole, where it was apparently warmer than Boston yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/30/freak-storm-has-pushed-north-pole-to-freezing-point-50-degrees-above-normal/

And if you've flown in the middle of the country this week, well, you know.  Here's hoping things ease up quick for everyone.

US71

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2015, 12:02:18 PM
Only somewhat off-topic, as Interstate 55 seems to be closing in Missouri due to flooding:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2015/12/31/officials-say-highway-near-louis-could-close-amid-flooding/5cvfwm2LngIIz3XkuZms6J/story.html

I was in the lower Ohio Valley earlier this week.  4.5 inches of rain fell in two and a half days.  All the river-bottom flood-plain farmland was under water, and the water is of course still rising.

And if the interconnectedness of global weather was ever in doubt, this storm is apparently causing astounding high temperatures at the North Pole, where it was apparently warmer than Boston yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/30/freak-storm-has-pushed-north-pole-to-freezing-point-50-degrees-above-normal/

And if you've flown in the middle of the country this week, well, you know.  Here's hoping things ease up quick for everyone.

I-44 is already closed between I-270 and Gray Summit, MO. Mo 141 at I-44 is totally inundated.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Clickbait will have you believing the North Pole's ice is breaking up from the above-freezing temperatures due to this storm.

It did warm up to 50 degrees above normal (normal being about 20 degrees F below zero), and amazingly did get very slightly over 32 degrees F for a brief moment at the weather buoy closest to the North Pole.  But the pics of the ice breaking up is juuuuusssstttt a bit exaggerated.

froggie

Are you referring to Capital Weather Gang as "clickbait", or some of the other comments and "stories" that have come out of this polar warming?

ET21

Clickbait nonsense. This storm was powerful, but not enough to do that
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US71

Quote from: ET21 on January 01, 2016, 06:52:42 PM
Clickbait nonsense. This storm was powerful, but not enough to do that
Fox News tell you that</sarcasm>
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

empirestate

Where are we seeing the thing about the ice cap breaking up?

iPhone

noelbotevera

We've only had hard rain for hours...and that's about it. There's nothing really going on here in the Northeast (which, of course, where I live (yes some people consider PA as a part of the northeast and i'm one of them)), maybe some rain and a whole ton of clouds..there's nothing different and 2016 has already started.

The Nature Boy

We got snow in New England.

It's finally winter.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 01, 2016, 10:15:37 PM
We've only had hard rain for hours...and that's about it. There's nothing really going on here in the Northeast (which, of course, where I live (yes some people consider PA as a part of the northeast and i'm one of them)), maybe some rain and a whole ton of clouds..there's nothing different and 2016 has already started.

Chambersburg, I assume, is in the Susquehanna/Chesapeake watershed.  A short distance west is the Monongahela/Allegheny/Ohio watershed, where many inches of rain have also fallen, and continue to pour into an overloaded Mississippi.  It is interesting to see how the same storm a few miles apart has much different implications.

vdeane

We had freezing rain on Tuesday around here.  There's snow on the ground.  Not much, but some.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

half-snow-half-sleet 5-8 inches here.  Finally got me to get a snowblower.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Duke87

With regards to the whole north pole thing let's bear in mind that the polar ice cap is a huge thermal mass and the air temperature only affects the surface of it. The air temperature briefly rising slightly above freezing is not going to cause any significant amount of the ice to melt and certainly won't result in the icecap breaking up.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on January 03, 2016, 04:32:27 PM
With regards to the whole north pole thing let's bear in mind that the polar ice cap is a huge thermal mass and the air temperature only affects the surface of it. The air temperature briefly rising slightly above freezing is not going to cause any significant amount of the ice to melt and certainly won't result in the icecap breaking up.

I'm still not seeing where that even was brought up; was it in the article linked originally? Somebody mentioned pictures of the ice cap breaking up, but I didn't see that in the article.

froggie

QuoteI'm still not seeing where that even was brought up; was it in the article linked originally?

No it wasn't, which is why I asked Jeff the question I did.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on January 03, 2016, 05:31:45 PM
QuoteI'm still not seeing where that even was brought up; was it in the article linked originally?

No links were provided...I happened to be reading a newspaper article on my phone, and as many newspaper sites do now, they had several clickbait articles at the bottom.  One of them showed thin ice breaking up with a headline "You won't believe what this storm is doing to the North Pole" or something to that effect.

Desert Man

Colder in the western US than the east this winter, because around Christmas I find people are wearing shorts along the Atlantic coasts. I'm sure winter will come and temperatures will be seasonal in the Eastern half, but we're preparing for a wet El Nino winter to hopefully end the CA drought. The last storm dumped 136% more snowpack in the Sierra Nevadas than normal so far.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2016, 05:59:25 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 03, 2016, 05:31:45 PM

No links were provided...I happened to be reading a newspaper article on my phone, and as many newspaper sites do now, they had several clickbait articles at the bottom.  One of them showed thin ice breaking up with a headline "You won't believe what this storm is doing to the North Pole" or something to that effect.

Ah, OK, it's an unrelated article. Now I'm on board.

Is this a good time to bring up the apparent trend these days where the headline is obliged by no journalistic standard to match the facts reported in the article it accompanies?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.