News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Historical hurricane tracks

Started by cpzilliacus, July 31, 2012, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Neat app by the NOAA (even has Pacific Coast locations - including one "direct hit" on Los Angeles, California (!) in 1978) : http://www.csc.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/hurricanes
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Here I Am (Rock You Like A Hurricane)

...oh, not that kind of "track". :spin:
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Stephane Dumas

Here come the story of the Hurricane, the man the authorities came to blame,
For something that he never done...

...Not that kind of track either.  :spin: :spin:

hm insulators

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 31, 2012, 04:05:37 PM
Neat app by the NOAA (even has Pacific Coast locations - including one "direct hit" on Los Angeles, California (!) in 1978) : http://www.csc.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/hurricanes

Whatever hit Los Angeles in 1978, it was definitely not a full-fledged hurricane (had it been so, I would remember it, as I was living in L.A. then). Once in a great while, the remnants of a dying hurricane or tropical storm will get into southern California. In 1976, Tropical Storm Kathleen went right up the Gulf of California and into the desert areas south of Palm Springs and dumped a lot of rain. In 1982, the leftovers from a hurricane named Iwa (which a few days earlier had clobbered the Hawaiian island of Kauai--I was living there at the time and that was nasty) hit the California coast and dumped a lot of rain, but by then, Iwa was no longer a truly tropical system. In 1997, a strong hurricane named Linda briefly threatened to make history by hitting the southern California coast as a true hurricane, but then veered away. And I've read in several reliable sources that the San Diego area was hit by a true hurricane way back in the 1800s sometime.

It would be an unusual event, but to my way of thinking, I expect southern California will some year get hit by a hurricane. If there are El Nino-warmed waters and a very strong hurricane moving toward California at an unusually fast clip, it could happen.

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

August 28th, 2007 saw the last of Hurricane Dean, which was notable for producing a lightning storm off the coast of Orange County - very, very rare in the summer. 

the storm tracker shows Dean being reduced to a Tropical Storm by the time it hit Mexico City; it picked up just enough energy over the Mexican western coast to give one last push to California.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.