Hwy 190 from Copperas Cove to Belton to be renamed I-14

Started by longhorn, December 11, 2013, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perfxion

It isn't about a bypass, it's a bypass for traffic that doesn't need it. It's not like a bypass of NYC or something. It's to cut 9 miles on trans state traffic in an area where that pattern isn't there. Austin or college station being all freeway makes more sense to Houston. But not I-10 to I-10 via the busiest leg of Houston traffic
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Perfxion on March 18, 2014, 08:10:23 PM
It isn't about a bypass, it's a bypass for traffic that doesn't need it. It's not like a bypass of NYC or something. It's to cut 9 miles on trans state traffic in an area where that pattern isn't there. Austin or college station being all freeway makes more sense to Houston. But not I-10 to I-10 via the busiest leg of Houston traffic

Then 6 lane I-10 from San Felipe to Columbus and be done with it.

Molandfreak

This seems like a mere attempt for Texas to become the state with the most 2dis.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Rover_0

Quote from: US 41 on March 18, 2014, 06:44:17 PM

Apparently this is the big idea.

Alabama should probably make the I-85 westward extension I-14.
Although, if any major portion of I-14 happens (I-35 to I-10), I'd be more likely to number it I-16 (W) or I-18. Save 14 for Austin-Houston, if not an entire US-290 upgrade.

Quote from: Molandfreak on March 19, 2014, 11:44:23 AM
This seems like a mere attempt for Texas to become the state with the most 2dis.

I wouldn't doubt it. I-2 and this I-14 hold hope for a 2di spur in my neck of the woods. :P
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

ethanhopkin14

Yes.  Because Texas.

Anthony_JK

I'd really love to know how in the hell they run this through Alexandria-Pineville. Upgrade MacArthur Drive to a freeway?? NOPE...businesses oppose it because I-49. Build a freeway loop around Alex-Pineville-Colfax?? Maybe...but with the Ft. Buhlow Bridge (US 71/165) being upgraded, does CenLA really need THREE major bridges across the Red River?? Just run it along I-49/Pineville Expressway?? Probably the most feasible and cost-beneficial option...but wouldn't that require a new all terrain route paralleling LA 28 from Leesville to Alex?? Same LA 28 that was just 4-laned last year??

Sorry, but I-14 isn't really needed, no matter how many military bases it may connect. Save the money for completing I-49 and the main legs of I-69.

NE2

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 19, 2014, 01:44:55 PM
I'd really love to know how in the hell they run this through Alexandria-Pineville. Upgrade MacArthur Drive to a freeway?? NOPE...businesses oppose it because I-49.
It's practically a freeway anyway (all you need is a couple overpasses on the main lanes), and the necessary ramps to get to the Pineville Expressway are high-speed flyovers (but they'd probably want to add a lane to I-49 and maybe braiding for the intermediate ramps). LA 28 right-of-way looks wide enough for frontage roads.

But yeah, it's pretty porky.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Quote from: Molandfreak on March 19, 2014, 11:44:23 AMThis seems like a mere attempt for Texas to become the state with the most 2dis.
If they wanted that, maybe they'd have numbered the southern legs of I-69 better? That said, I-2 does help them in this fight, given IL got a tiny bit of I-41 (TX I-49 will help too)

IL - 13: 24, 39, (41), 55, 57, 64, 70, 72, 74, 80, 88, 90, 94
TX - 12: 2, 10, 20, 27, 30, 35, 37, 40, 44, 45, (49), 69

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 19, 2014, 01:44:55 PM
Same LA 28 that was just 4-laned last year??
It will probably be 20 years or more before any of this is built in Louisiana. Plenty of time to get good use out of those four lanes.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 08, 2012, 11:04:13 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 15, 2012, 09:58:35 AM
A federal report details plans for a possible new interstate highway that would move traffic from Augusta through central Georgia and Alabama to Natchez, Miss.
The report on the proposed 14th Amendment Highway was obtained by The Telegraph newspaper of Macon under the Freedom of Information Act (http://bit.ly/AsVTbD).
Here is the EWG's Report to Congress. The Executive Summary has a good map of the alternatives.
(above quote from 14th Amendment Highway ("I-14") thread)

This May 7 TV video report discusses a larger El Paso to Augusta vision:

there's an option known as Interstate 14 that would dart from El Paso to Augusta, Georgia, and, as drawn in a proposal, use existing roads running through Huntsville, Bryan/College Station, Hearne and on towards Bell County.
"One of the things for businesses looking to relocate, access is critical, and the interstate system is just like the gold standard," said Tom Wilkinson, the executive director of the Brazos Valley Council of Governments. "You're just struck off the list early on from any of the potential businesses because we don't have that."
Bryan/College Station is one of the largest metro areas in the country without interstate access.
Congressman Roger Williams, who represents District 25 to the northwest of the Brazos Valley, has committed to get the ball rolling in the House to authorize I-14.
He was one of the officials local leaders met with Tuesday.
"When we're talking highways, we're really in a good situation because it's a bipartisan thing, and we're all the same," he said, adding, "Urgency's important."
So far, I-14 has earned support from the Texas A&M System, and local leaders are in on the talks. But of course, as it so often here, whether these things get done likely come down to money and political road blocks local officials are encouraging folks here to break through.

I wonder if Congressman Williams envisions an El Paso to Natchez extension amendment to the currently existing 14th Amendment Highway legislation?

edit

At the very least, the 14th Amendment Highway legislation provided a major impetus for a TxDOT US 190/ I-10 Feasibility Study (page 3/34 of pdf):

This study originated following the proposed interstate highway from Natchez, Mississippi to Augusta, Georgia, referred to as the 14th Amendment Highway, which was introduced into Federal congressional legislation in 2004. The study of the 14th Amendment Highway was eventually incorporated into the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) of 2005.

In addition, the Gulf Coast Strategic Highway Coalition was formed in 2001 to promote the need for improved access and connections to military installations along the US 190/I-10 corridor and regional highways that serve as deployment routes between the major army bases and designated ports along the Gulf Coast. These routes would be a continuation of the 14th Amendment Highway further west through Louisiana and Texas ... The primary route in Texas is the US 190/I-10 corridor which is the focus of this feasibility study.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 19, 2014, 12:47:34 PM

Yes.  Because Texas.

Texas must be the richest country in the world behind Alanland. Maybe Texas should give some funds to Arkansas/Missouri so we can get I-49 built. That way Texas can have another 2di

iPhone

DevalDragon

This whole thing is amazingly stupid and not needed. As the wars over the past 10 years have shown, virtually no military vehicles were driven between military bases and the ports. The majority were shipped by rail, and the rest by commercial line haul trucks. There's no reason to build a new interstate to connect a bunch of military bases that don't need to be connected more than they are now.

Besides - we won't be at war forever. And movements to and from training facilities are done by rail, aside from the Reserve / Guard convoys. But you don't want military vehicles on Interstates anyway - they are not capable of highway speeds and just slow things down.

And I-335 is the best designation for the piece of highway that's being discussed. It won't get any longer.

Grzrd

The Alliance for I-69 Texas recently posted a slide presentation that begins with a slide showing the relationship of I-69 to I-14:

Another slide indicates that a Congressional designation for I-14 similar to the designation for I-69 will be pursued:

Hmmmmmmm...... US 181 as Future I-14C or Future I-14S?  :happy:

Avalanchez71

Wow looks like all feel good legislation.  The road system in the corridor is more then adequate.

longhorn

I would settle just upgrading the road from Temple to Cameron to Milano. That two lane road 190/36 is the true bottleneck.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 15, 2014, 11:37:21 AM
The Alliance for I-69 Texas recently posted a slide presentation ....
Another slide indicates that a Congressional designation for I-14 similar to the designation for I-69 will be pursued

It's worth mentioning that, in previously designating part of LA 28 as High Priority Corridor 75, Congress did not designate it as I-14:

The Louisiana 28 corridor from Fort Polk to Alexandria, Louisiana.

Of course, that may change with the new effort.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2014, 01:13:07 PM
Another slide indicates that a Congressional designation for I-14 similar to the designation for I-69 will be pursued
It's worth mentioning that, in previously designating part of LA 28 as High Priority Corridor 75, Congress did not designate it as I-14:

I recently noticed that Section 11204 of the draft House DRIVE Act bill, H.R. 22, designates the "Central Texas Corridor" as High Priority Corridor 83:

SEC. 11204. High priority corridors on the National Highway System.
Section 1105 of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (105 Stat. 2031) is amended–
(1) in subsection (c) (105 Stat. 2032; 112 Stat. 190; 119 Stat. 1213)–  ....
(D) by adding at the end the following: ....
"(83) The Central Texas Corridor commencing at the logical terminus of Interstate 10, and generally following portions of United States Route 190 eastward passing in the vicinity Fort Hood, Killeen, Belton, Temple, Bryan, College Station, Huntsville, Livingston, Woodville, and to the logical terminus of Texas Highway 63 at the Sabine River Bridge at Burrs Crossing."

The proposed legislative language does not designate the Central Texas Corridor as I-14, but it does seem intended as an initial step toward upgrading the corridor. It appears very unlikely that a long-term reauthorization will be enacted by the end of this month, but I suspect the effort to include the HPC 83 designation in a long-term bill will continue.

longhorn

Quote from: Grzrd on October 14, 2015, 01:28:04 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2014, 01:13:07 PM

I recently noticed that Section 11204 of the draft House DRIVE Act bill, H.R. 22, designates the "Central Texas Corridor" as High Priority Corridor 83:

SEC. 11204. High priority corridors on the National Highway System.
Section 1105 of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (105 Stat. 2031) is amended—
(1) in subsection (c) (105 Stat. 2032; 112 Stat. 190; 119 Stat. 1213)—  ....
(D) by adding at the end the following: ....
“(83) The Central Texas Corridor commencing at the logical terminus of Interstate 10, and generally following portions of United States Route 190 eastward passing in the vicinity Fort Hood, Killeen, Belton, Temple, Bryan, College Station, Huntsville, Livingston, Woodville, and to the logical terminus of Texas Highway 63 at the Sabine River Bridge at Burrs Crossing.”

The proposed legislative language does not designate the Central Texas Corridor as I-14, but it does seem intended as an initial step toward upgrading the corridor. It appears very unlikely that a long-term reauthorization will be enacted by the end of this month, but I suspect the effort to include the HPC 83 designation in a long-term bill will continue.

Parts of 190 in Central Texas is already interstate grade. I would be happy with a four lane divided hwy between Temple and Bryan, then one could just take 6 down to 290 for a quicker and safer trip from central Texas to Houston.

The Ghostbuster

We probably won't see any Interstate 14 signs anywhere for quite some time.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 14, 2015, 01:28:04 PM
I recently noticed that Section 11204 of the draft House DRIVE Act bill, H.R. 22, designates the "Central Texas Corridor" as High Priority Corridor 83 .... The proposed legislative language does not designate the Central Texas Corridor as I-14
Quote from: longhorn on October 15, 2015, 11:22:02 AM
Parts of 190 in Central Texas is already interstate grade.
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 15, 2015, 02:52:17 PM
We probably won't see any Interstate 14 signs anywhere for quite some time.

This political blog reports that an amendment has been introduced to the current House version of a long-term reauthorization to designate the Central Texas Corridor as Future I-14:

After several long days of legislative work on the floor of the House, lawmakers are ready Thursday to give approval to a new long-term bill that authorizes fresh funding for road and bridge construction, the first big measure considered under the new leadership of Speaker Paul Ryan.
"We're opening up the process,"  Ryan said of the highway bill, as he emphasized there would be "lots of amendments." ....
But when you dig down into the details of the amendments that reached the House floor over the past three days, it may seem to you that lawmakers were nibbling around the edges more than anything else.
The most newsworthy item may have been the House voting to reject a plan that would have allowed larger and heavier trucks on roads; but most other amendments were minor in nature, some more parochial.
Here's a snapshot:
  Babin (R-TX) — Amendment No. 6 — Designates the Central Texas Corridor as the future Interstate Route I-14. ...

I get the sense that Congress may actually agree on and pass a long-term reauthorization by November 20. We may see Interstate 14 shields sooner than we had previously thought.

Anthony_JK

If they are going to designate this corridor as Future I-14, then they will have to face the issue of how to route this future freeway through Alexandria. The proposed beltway now being considered around Alex is only going to be a 4-lane arterial; will they turn around and rebuild it as a freeway all of a sudden? Or, do they build a new outer loop bypass of I-49 and extend it eastward to connect with LA 28, then US 84.

And then, there is the issue of US 84/US 425 through Ferriday/Vidalia/Natchez.

Of course, we are talking years if not decades from this becoming a reality, so, maybe this is all moot.

Pete from Boston

I hope that the same folks supporting Congressional co-opting of administrative duties (like managing a highway numbering system) aren't the same ones that complain when the Executive Branch oversteps and legislates by fiat.  Just saying. 

longhorn

The stretch from Copperas Cove to Belton is already interstate grade and six lanes for half of the distance. I could see intermediate signs throughout the stretch like they are doing with 69 now in Texas.

Bobby5280

The concept of "I-14" on those maps is one very crooked and very porky looking route. No major cities/destinations along any of it either. Texas' highway system has more important upgrade needs elsewhere.

1995hoo

I was born at Fort Hood and we lived in Copperas Cove at the time, though we moved to Virginia when I was one year old. I told my parents about this thread when I talked to them on the phone tonight and they were stunned. They can't fathom the idea of a highway bypass around the town, much less an Interstate highway, because they said when we lived there a lot of the streets were still unpaved!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.