News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on February 12, 2017, 02:34:36 PM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on February 12, 2017, 01:56:48 PM
When will the rebuild probably start?

I hope they can add a couple new ramps. They can fit a ramp at Cork Ave right before the LaGrange/Archer interchange

It will take place from 2020-2022, according to the Tollway. We should know the final master plan sometime this year. I know I'm really curious to see what they have planned, and whether or not they'll add a fifth lane.

It does look like both the O'Hare and Hinsdale Oasis will be on the chopping block though. Oh well.

Least the surrounding suburbs will be able to fend off your cravings being missed at the Oasis  :-P

Another thing I'm curious as to if they'll do it: Would they replace the concrete sections redone for the open road tollbooths with the rebuild, even though they are only 10 years old? Outside of a fresh coat of paint, those sections still seem to be in decent shape.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

tribar

Quote from: ET21 on February 12, 2017, 03:22:10 PM

I hope they can add a couple new ramps. They can fit a ramp at Cork Ave right before the LaGrange/Archer interchange

It will take place from 2020-2022, according to the Tollway. We should know the final master plan sometime this year. I know I'm really curious to see what they have planned, and whether or not they'll add a fifth lane.

It does look like both the O'Hare and Hinsdale Oasis will be on the chopping block though. Oh well.

Another thing I'm curious as to if they'll do it: Would they replace the concrete sections redone for the open road tollbooths with the rebuild, even though they are only 10 years old? Outside of a fresh coat of paint, those sections still seem to be in decent shape.

Did they do that with the Jane Addams rebuild?

Joe The Dragon

Least the surrounding suburbs will be able to fend off your cravings being missed at the Oasis  :-P

will they widen them to 5 lanes? (can be done with dropping the shoulders at the tolls).

johndoe780

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 12, 2017, 12:31:00 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on February 12, 2017, 12:57:28 AM
I just wish they could fix the mess that is 294/290/88.

I have a feeling the 294/290/88 interchange is going to be a disappointment similar to how the I-90/I-290/IL 53 interchange is/was with the I-90 rebuild.

Maybe, maybe not. 2020-2022 is the same time period IDOT is going to rebuild the IKE. Hopefully they'll coordinate something and fix it. Traffic on both is going to suck during construction however though.

johndoe780

Quote from: tribar on February 12, 2017, 04:03:02 PM

Did they do that with the Jane Addams rebuild?

Don't think so. I know the eastbound and westbound toll plaza by 294 they just left alone. It was 3 lanes in and 4 lanes out, but I think they just rebuilt the road and left the toll plaza exactly the same.

ILRoad55

Oh boy, Tri-State and the Ike at the same time, that would be hell.

I really want to see the plan.

Also while I was checking out streetview on the Jane Addams, I came across a sign for Cumberland which I assume will be filled in when the flyover is complete.

quickshade

Route 23 bridge rebuild work starts today on I90, bridge will be down to one lane through mid summer while half the bridge is rebuilt, once first half is complete 2 lanes of traffic will be possible while the other half of the bridge is finished into the fall of 2017. Will leave room for future interchange ramps.

Revive 755

While trying to find information online for the central Tri-State rebuild, I found this instead:  http://www.hohgroup.com/TearSheets/Assoc/ISTHA-Devon%20Ave%20Interchange%20at%20I-294.pdf

Something that is coming or a project that died?

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 16, 2017, 09:38:32 PM
While trying to find information online for the central Tri-State rebuild, I found this instead:  http://www.hohgroup.com/TearSheets/Assoc/ISTHA-Devon%20Ave%20Interchange%20at%20I-294.pdf

I'm not sure, but that would be a horrible place for a interchange! Too close to the I-90 interchange and the Touhy Toll Plaza. It would probably be a better idea to reconfigure/expand the Touhy Ave or Dempster Street interchange into a full one rather than do this.

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on February 16, 2017, 11:22:26 PM

I'm not sure, but that would be a horrible place for a interchange! Too close to the I-90 interchange and the Touhy Toll Plaza. It would probably be a better idea to reconfigure/expand the Touhy Ave or Dempster Street interchange into a full one rather than do this.

Honestly the whole I-55 to I-90 corridor on 294 needs some major express/local lanes. The major backups occur due to idiots going all the way from the left lane and trying to exit or idiots who fail to speed up adequately when entering the highway.

Joe The Dragon

File date 06-Jul-2009

ILRoad55

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 16, 2017, 11:37:38 PM

Honestly the whole I-55 to I-90 corridor on 294 needs some major express/local lanes. The major backups occur due to idiots going all the way from the left lane and trying to exit or idiots who fail to speed up adequately when entering the highway.
I see the majority of the slow downs from like 190 to Wolf Road, and then a bit past the Cermak Toll Plaza heading south. And those areas don't really have many exits. The former having Balmoral get on, the Toll Plaza, Irving Park getting off and the Oasis. And the latter having Ogden and the Oasis.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ILRoad55 on February 20, 2017, 12:19:20 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on February 16, 2017, 11:37:38 PM

I see the majority of the slow downs from like 190 to Wolf Road, and then a bit past the Cermak Toll Plaza heading south. And those areas don't really have many exits. The former having Balmoral get on, the Toll Plaza, Irving Park getting off and the Oasis. And the latter having Ogden and the Oasis.
I-88 to Ogden needs full aux lanes and to widen I-294 ogden needs to be come a SPUI.  The loop ramps at I-55 & I-290 can jam up. There needs to be an C/D lane to make the I-290 & I-88 ramps flow better.

I-88 can use 4 lanes from I-294 to the Express /  manual split or to this

dcharlie

Has anyone ever heard a good reason from ISTHA on why the speed limit between Rockford and Elgin is only 65?  That stretch of road has to be one of the safest sections of road in the entire Interstate System.

dvferyance

Is Roselle Road still getting a WB onramp. I was there yesterday and there still isn't one. Barrington Rd now has one but not Roselle.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: dvferyance on February 20, 2017, 07:06:55 PM
Is Roselle Road still getting a WB onramp. I was there yesterday and there still isn't one. Barrington Rd now has one but not Roselle.

Yeah, but it won't be on Roselle Road itself. It'll be off of Central.

Past that, does anyone have any info on the land acquisition for the new central Tri-State? It runs through my old stomping grounds, and I hope they won't need too much.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Joe The Dragon

There is an merge sign for it.

I-39

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 20, 2017, 07:13:19 PM
Past that, does anyone have any info on the land acquisition for the new central Tri-State? It runs through my old stomping grounds, and I hope they won't need too much.

Nothing as of yet (at least that I can find). They have yet to release the master plan, which should happen sometime this year. I am eagerly awaiting it, as I am curious to know whether or not they'll go with the fifth lane.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: dcharlie on February 20, 2017, 03:04:45 PM
Has anyone ever heard a good reason from ISTHA on why the speed limit between Rockford and Elgin is only 65?  That stretch of road has to be one of the safest sections of road in the entire Interstate System.

It was theorized in a previous thread that there is consideration to raise the speed limit in that stretch to 70 after the entire O'Hare to Rockford stretch has been finished. I thought it made sense, since it would be easier to assess flow not being hampered by construction, sudden lane shifts, and sudden sharp drops in speed limits.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

dvferyance

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 20, 2017, 07:14:20 PM

I saw that but there is still no ramp. Did they run out of money or something?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: dvferyance on February 20, 2017, 10:01:20 PM

Work just got suspended for the "winter." Ramp should be ready by later this summer.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 20, 2017, 10:15:45 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on February 20, 2017, 10:01:20 PM

Work just got suspended for the "winter." Ramp should be ready by later this summer.

The work was originally supposed to take place last year, but Cook County couldn't do their portion needed on Central Road (where the actual WB ramp is going to be) until this year. Once they are able to start the work there, the Tollway will finish the ramp. The merge and lighting on I-90 itself is already done, so this should cause little disruption to I-90 traffic itself.

I-39

The Tollway will begin phasing out the coin baskets at the exit ramps for new machines that will accept credit cards and bills.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170223/news/170229424/

What the heck took them so long with this? This should have been done the same time they converted the mainline plazas to Open Road Tolling.

dvferyance

Quote from: I-39 on February 24, 2017, 07:21:21 PM
The Tollway will begin phasing out the coin baskets at the exit ramps for new machines that will accept credit cards and bills.

What the heck took them so long with this? This should have been done the same time they converted the mainline plazas to Open Road Tolling.
Good idea it's so annoying to have to carry so much change for the exit ramps now I won't have to anymore.

Brandon

Quote from: dvferyance on February 24, 2017, 09:06:15 PM
Quote from: I-39 on February 24, 2017, 07:21:21 PM

Good idea it's so annoying to have to carry so much change for the exit ramps now I won't have to anymore.

Of course, you could always get an I-Pass and make it easier and cheaper.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.