AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Illinois Tollway Notes  (Read 256251 times)

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 12:47:05 PM
Re: Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #1500 on: October 25, 2022, 07:38:05 PM »

I couldn't access the document on Microsoft Edge (it said "The connection for this site is not secure. www.illinoistollway.com sent an invalid response".; not the first site to do that to me), so I had to open it using Google Chrome (which I have on my computer in addition to having Opera). The presentation only includes the conversion of the US 20/W. Lake St. interchange to a diverging diamond, and 390's planned connection to County Farm Rd. It was my understanding that 390 would ultimately be extended as an arterial roadway to North Ave., along with improvements to US 20/W. Lake St. between that point and Shales Prwy./Elgin Bypass. I assume that the connection to County Farm Rd. would be built first, while the rest of it would be built later, if it is constucted at all.

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: January 26, 2023, 12:03:35 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
« Reply #1501 on: October 25, 2022, 10:20:31 PM »

https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/1291249/Meeting+Exhibits+-+PM2+-+10042022.pdf/4999c7dd-ada7-c362-7cb1-12533a58bc10?t=1665069112916

Here are the exhibits from the Illinois Route 390's U.S. Route 20 Interchange Improvement Study. A partial DDI, along with a one-lane each direction extension to County Farm Road, is recommended to move forward.
one lane? and is setup so they can extend the road at an later time?

No it looks like essentially a long on/off ramp. Going WB you either exit at US-20 or County Farm, EB you hop on at either County Farm or US-20. Plus it looks like they want you to get on EB 390 from County Farm as they eliminate the on ramp from EB US 20 to EB 390

There will be a ramp from EB US 20 to EB 390, and all alternatives keep this option. Honestly, as a current solution, I am OK with this, except I would have spent a little extra to have two lanes on the extension/ramps. It does look like they could potentially accommodate some type of extension down the line. It will come down more to appetite (and money) to build it further in any form. I am curious how usage of this will be impacted once the I-490 Tollway connection is complete. I know both any further extension of this and IL 53 seem either very dormant or dead in the water, but I guess never say never as potential conditions going on in both cases could resurrect these at some point. If nothing else, the State would be smart to not give up their land just yet.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:28 AM
« Reply #1502 on: November 25, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »

Living down in Southern IL, I don’t get to drive the Tri-State much, anymore, but younger in life I lived in Chicagoland and drove it many times, especially south of 88. That said, seeing the Central Construction Project in progress is pretty neat

I drove NB 294 on Black Friday evening from the 80/94/294/394 “southpoint” to the 290 WB exit, so thru a lot of the Central Construction Zone

Before getting there, tho, at the 80/294 split, there is now a floating “North” with no Shield to the right of the North 294 Wisconsin info on the BGS at the split. I assume an I-57 shield will be added under the “North” on the panel. I did not see a corresponding floating “South” on the West 80 Iowa BGS, tho

The BGS for the new I-57 North exit is pretty standard and normal

In the construction zone, the old Cash lanes at the 83rd St Toll are completely closed now, but are still standing. Looked like the new Archer Ave bridge structures are up and the old ones are being taken down

After being on the new Mile Long Bridge, there is a traffic split where 2 left lanes are sent over to the NB side and 2 right lanes serve the I-55 interchange, and they merge back between the onramp from I-55 and the offramp to Hinsdale Oasis, which of course is now Hinsdale 7-Eleven/Mobil

There were segments of layed concrete pavement in this area for the NB lanes that still had the plastic “curing” plastic blankets on, so, I’m guessing that was poured right before Thanksgiving

Nothing really eventful that I noticed next, until the 290 ramps. Drove it in the dark, so not the greatest look, but especially after merging onto 290, there is quite a bit of work done and you can see the new areas ready for the new fly-under ramps for 294 NB->290 WB under the new 294 SB lanes. Also at one point of 290 the 294 SB retaining wall is built right to the edge of the right WB 290 shoulder, which is kinda neat. Can also see the new, massive support piers for the new SB 294 CD road to help cut down the weaving traffic for the Exits and Entrances with 290 and 88, that regularly cause backups in the old configuration

ISTHA is making progress. Don’t know how fast or how much, but it should be pretty nice when done
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:34:53 PM by ilpt4u »

edwaleni

• Last Login: January 26, 2023, 03:43:58 PM
« Reply #1503 on: November 26, 2022, 12:09:38 PM »

Living down in Southern IL, I don’t get to drive the Tri-State much, anymore, but younger in life I lived in Chicagoland and drove it many times, especially south of 88. That said, seeing the Central Construction Project in progress is pretty neat

I drove NB 294 on Black Friday evening from the 80/94/294/394 “southpoint” to the 290 WB exit, so thru a lot of the Central Construction Zone

Before getting there, tho, at the 80/294 split, there is now a floating “North” with no Shield to the right of the North 294 Wisconsin info on the BGS at the split. I assume an I-57 shield will be added under the “North” on the panel. I did not see a corresponding floating “South” on the West 80 Iowa BGS, tho

The BGS for the new I-57 North exit is pretty standard and normal

In the construction zone, the old Cash lanes at the 83rd St Toll are completely closed now, but are still standing. Looked like the new Archer Ave bridge structures are up and the old ones are being taken down

After being on the new Mile Long Bridge, there is a traffic split where 2 left lanes are sent over to the NB side and 2 right lanes serve the I-55 interchange, and they merge back between the onramp from I-55 and the offramp to Hinsdale Oasis, which of course is now Hinsdale 7-Eleven/Mobil

There were segments of layed concrete pavement in this area for the NB lanes that still had the plastic “curing” plastic blankets on, so, I’m guessing that was poured right before Thanksgiving

Nothing really eventful that I noticed next, until the 290 ramps. Drove it in the dark, so not the greatest look, but especially after merging onto 290, there is quite a bit of work done and you can see the new areas ready for the new fly-under ramps for 294 NB->290 WB under the new 294 SB lanes. Also at one point of 290 the 294 SB retaining wall is built right to the edge of the right WB 290 shoulder, which is kinda neat. Can also see the new, massive support piers for the new SB 294 CD road to help cut down the weaving traffic for the Exits and Entrances with 290 and 88, that regularly cause backups in the old configuration

ISTHA is making progress. Don’t know how fast or how much, but it should be pretty nice when done

At first I was going to ask "which one?" on the mile long bridge then I saw your I-55 remark and knew which one.

ISHTA actually has two "mile long" bridges on I-294.  The one you reference is in Western Springs over the Des Plaines River valley. The other is the one in Bensenville over the Canadian Pacific rail yards.

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: January 26, 2023, 09:29:22 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #1504 on: November 27, 2022, 02:54:29 PM »

That floating TOLL North banner has been there for years now, well before construction on the NB 57 ramp was underway. Since at least 2015, in fact! I doubt that's why it's there. To be honest, I have no idea why it's there. I still wonder if someone was told to put that as a patch over the original "North Tollway" banners in the center of the sign, but they just decided to put it on the top right corner because they didn't know what they were doing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 45+ Clinches | 195+ Traveled

Jericho That

• Last Login: Today at 09:51:41 AM
« Reply #1505 on: November 28, 2022, 08:48:12 AM »

At first I was going to ask "which one?" on the mile long bridge then I saw your I-55 remark and knew which one.

ISHTA actually has two "mile long" bridges on I-294.  The one you reference is in Western Springs over the Des Plaines River valley. The other is the one in Bensenville over the Canadian Pacific rail yards.

For whatever reason, the Western Springs bridge is the official Mile Long Bridge. The Tollway calls the bridge over the CP railyard the Bensenville Yard Bridge.

edwaleni

• Last Login: January 26, 2023, 03:43:58 PM
« Reply #1506 on: November 28, 2022, 09:06:31 AM »

For whatever reason, the Western Springs bridge is the official Mile Long Bridge. The Tollway calls the bridge over the CP railyard the Bensenville Yard Bridge.

Interesting, I never knew it had an "official" title.

ET21

• Last Login: January 26, 2023, 04:18:48 PM
« Reply #1507 on: November 28, 2022, 09:38:33 AM »

Willow Springs/Hodgkins for the Mile Long bridge. Western Springs is further north near the Ogden Ave interchange.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: Today at 08:41:56 AM
« Reply #1508 on: November 28, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »

Is this the bridge you're referring to? I ask since it's only a bit longer than half a mile.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

• Last Login: Today at 09:37:28 AM
« Reply #1509 on: November 28, 2022, 09:15:37 PM »

Yes that is the Bensonville Bridge.

ET21

« Reply #1510 on: December 13, 2022, 12:56:42 PM »

New signage is going up on the SB 294 section between 88th Ave and 95th St. What used to be those small signs along the noisewall are now overhead

Clinched:

Quimby

• Last Login: January 03, 2023, 04:09:46 PM
« Reply #1511 on: December 15, 2022, 04:38:17 PM »

Interesting, I never knew it had an "official" title.

It has its own wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile-Long_Bridge

ET21

« Reply #1512 on: December 27, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »

I-294 update from what I saw during holiday travels last week.

NB I-294
-95th to 88th Ave: 4 lanes are open with the counter-flow gone, just a very wide left shoulder with cones blocking. Have a feeling they have some final work to do when things warm up. 88th Ave bridge/ramp work continues.

88th Ave to I-55: The WB Archer Ave to NB 294 ramp looks almost ready to be opened. The split flow at the end of the Mile Long Bridge now has 3 lanes right, 2 lanes left. Far right lane of the right split goes to I-55 with a new overhead sign. The remaining two lanes merge to one before rejoining the "express lanes".

I-55 to St. Charles Rd: Resurfacing is completed with the inside shoulder blocked off, some chunks of the median gone. Pretty much status quo for now, everything looks prepped to begin tearing up that section once things warm up. Plainfield Rd bridge continues to be built. Piers continue to be built for the 290/88 JCT ramps.

St. Charles Rd to Bensenville Bridge: A new split has formed, 2 right lanes and 2 left lanes. Goes from North Ave to just past Wolf Rd while they begin to rebuild the middle pavement again. Looks like most of the 490 piers are built that are in view, just need the bridge deck beams.

The only notable SB 294 news is the 88th Ave-95th section. 5 lanes are back with a wide left shoulder blocked by cones. New signage is up for the 95th exit and the far right lane is again an exit only for 95th St. Everything else SB is very similar to the NB observations.

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.