News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

I don't get why they're wasting their time and money with it in the first place.

SSOWorld

Quote from: tribar on August 04, 2017, 09:55:28 PM
I don't get why they're wasting their time and money with it in the first place.
The "Bond Money" rule.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dave069

Quote from: bobonabike on July 28, 2017, 10:13:48 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170728/tollway-wants-higher-i-90-speeds-but-officials-warn-of-confusion

I like this increase too, much better than what I was expecting, but I also think its odd that the Tri State is only 60 north of O'Hare and doesn't even go to 65 until you cross into Lake County. Maybe this would pressure the Tollway to make extend I-94's 70 zone to Deerfield Road or at least IL-22 rather than IL-132. It is certainly much better than the speed zoning on I-88, 60 mph for far too long. Maybe it would get a hike too, and the northern segment of I-355.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: dave069 on August 06, 2017, 11:32:51 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170728/tollway-wants-higher-i-90-speeds-but-officials-warn-of-confusion

I like this increase too, much better than what I was expecting, but I also think its odd that the Tri State is only 60 north of O'Hare and doesn't even go to 65 until you cross into Lake County. Maybe this would pressure the Tollway to make extend I-94's 70 zone to Deerfield Road or at least IL-22 rather than IL-132. It is certainly much better than the speed zoning on I-88, 60 mph for far too long. Maybe it would get a hike too, and the northern segment of I-355.
Did they up the free part of I-355? the 60 zone on I-290 starts at the end of I-355 now. Also up I-290 to at least 60 from I-355 to I-294.

Brandon

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 07, 2017, 11:20:36 AM
Quote from: dave069 on August 06, 2017, 11:32:51 PM

Did they up the free part of I-355? the 60 zone on I-290 starts at the end of I-355 now. Also up I-290 to at least 60 from I-355 to I-294.

That section is a bit odd.  The last speed limit sign northbound is for 60 mph on the tolled section.  The last one southbound is for 55 mph, just past Lake Street.  Thus, it would appear to be 60 northbound and 55 southbound there.  Then the bizarre 55 mph section of I-290 between just south of Thorndale and I-355.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JREwing78

70 mph on I-90 would be awesome. It's clearly built to handle the higher speeds. As it sits now, 85th percentile speeds are up around 70.

tribar

Are any of the new touchscreen machines up and running on the ramp toll plazas? I've only seen the buckets recently.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: I-39 on April 27, 2017, 04:21:55 PM
Looks like the Central Tri-State widening is a go

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tollway-board-294-widening-0427-20170427-story.html

Just moved to NWI and am commuting daily to Oak Brook.  Good to hear that they are going to widen the Tri-State.  Not looking forward to the construction though.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 24, 2017, 08:57:53 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tollway-board-294-widening-0427-20170427-story.html

Just moved to NWI and am commuting daily to Oak Brook.  Good to hear that they are going to widen the Tri-State.  Not looking forward to the construction though.

Ok So full 5 lanes + FLEX all the way?? Even at the ORT points?  What about at Ogden? It will need C/D lanes (if there is room) or get rid of the clover leaf.
The oases have to go (no room). What are the I-294 / I-55 plans?  How are they going to fit it in at I-290 / I-294 / I-88? Will the railroads give them a hard time like with the EOE?

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 24, 2017, 11:10:33 AM

Ok So full 5 lanes + FLEX all the way?? Even at the ORT points?  What about at Ogden? It will need C/D lanes (if there is room) or get rid of the clover leaf.
The oases have to go (no room). What are the I-294 / I-55 plans?  How are they going to fit it in at I-290 / I-294 / I-88? Will the railroads give them a hard time like with the EOE?

All the interchanges are getting redone, Oasis are going bye-bye with similar set up for Des Plaines Oasis.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on August 24, 2017, 12:41:08 PM

All the interchanges are getting redone, Oasis are going bye-bye with similar set up for Des Plaines Oasis.
fully gone like how the Des Plaines Oasis will or just GAS like it is now.

inkyatari

They spent all that money upgrading all the oasises, and now they're going to get rid of them.  Ugh
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

tdindy88

One curious question here for those familiar with the tollways. I plan on visiting Chicago over Labor Day weekend and wanted to see the new I-90 as well as travel along I-355 since I've never been on that highway. I thought about getting an I-PASS but at this point I'm not really interested in it for just one trip. While I'll likely just go through the cash lanes along the toll barriers on those two highways I wondered about something else. Can I just go through the open toll barriers and pay online later? Like later that same day. Is that possible or not really allowed?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 24, 2017, 08:08:53 PM
One curious question here for those familiar with the tollways. I plan on visiting Chicago over Labor Day weekend and wanted to see the new I-90 as well as travel along I-355 since I've never been on that highway. I thought about getting an I-PASS but at this point I'm not really interested in it for just one trip. While I'll likely just go through the cash lanes along the toll barriers on those two highways I wondered about something else. Can I just go through the open toll barriers and pay online later? Like later that same day. Is that possible or not really allowed?
I think you can do that but it's not really allowed.

ilpt4u

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 24, 2017, 08:08:53 PM
I thought it was absolutely allowed - don't they sign it "7 Days to Pay"?

Also, you can go thru the ORT lanes up to your final booth, go thru the cash lanes there, and pay the full tolls there -- just keep track of what booths and what tolls are owed - I would get a receipt if going this route (pun heavily intended)

ISTHA used to have instructions about doing such on their website -- not sure if they still do

OR just get an I-Pass. It is EZ Pass compatible, has no monthly fee, $10 refundable deposit, lower priced tolls, works on IN EZ Pass facilities  (IN Toll Road, and the new Louisville Ohio River Bridges)...

Stop at a Jewel store as you approach the metro area, and pick up an I-Pass (unless that partnership ended?)

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 24, 2017, 08:27:42 PM
Stop at a Jewel store as you approach the metro area, and pick up an I-Pass (unless that partnership ended?)

IIRC you still have to activate the transponder after buying it at Jewel, and allow a day, maybe more for the activation.

Given what all the signs say about 'seven days to pay', I think you would be fine if you went through all the ORT lanes and paid online a day or two later as long as you remember every single plaza you went through.

ilpt4u

I thought it was only like a 30 min wait on Jewel (or Road Ranger) I-Pass purchases/activations...Could be wrong

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 24, 2017, 01:33:09 PM

Just gas and 7-11
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on August 25, 2017, 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 24, 2017, 01:33:09 PM

Just gas and 7-11

I think most of the Oasis's have outlived their usefulness anyway (with the exception of the Belvidere and DeKalb). The suburbs are full of food and fuel options and I'd rather have improved roads as opposed to keeping the Oasis for sentimental reasons.

ilpt4u

Quote from: I-39 on August 25, 2017, 07:21:47 PM
I think most of the Oasis's have outlived their usefulness anyway (with the exception of the Belvidere and DeKalb). The suburbs are full of food and fuel options and I'd rather have improved roads as opposed to keeping the Oasis for sentimental reasons.
One could almost say even Belvidere and DeKalb have -- There are services available along I-90 at regular exits in Belvidere and Hampshire, and along I-88 in Rochelle, DeKalb, and Sugar Grove

That being said, I like the Oases -- and I'll miss eating or using the facilities, overhead of 8-10 lanes of Traffic!

I don't think the Lincoln/Southland Oasis is going anywhere for a while, anyway

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on August 25, 2017, 07:21:47 PM

There may be plenty of food and fuel options off of the tollways, but there's no logo signs to confirm the presence of such options at an interchange, and since the tollway charges for either entering or exiting at most interchanges (and now charges to both enter and exit at some), it becomes an issue to get off and search for services.

ilpt4u

The "No Logo Signs" is a bit of a chicken and egg problem -- Pretty sure the reason there are no Logo signs for Food and Fuel is because of the Oases...

The Hampshire/Marengo/US 20 exit on I-90 is a free exit, and it is a pretty standard Truck Stop and Fast Food type stop, plenty of options.

IL 47 exit is a free exit on I-88, as is I-39/US 51 and IL 251. IL 47 is a bit of a tough one for thru traffic, due to a couple miles between the West facing Exit/Entrance (actually on IL 47, due North of Sugar Grove) and the East facing Exit/Entrance (Northeast of Sugar Grove, also is the "Old" Tollway ending, and the stub end of IL 56 leading to the US 30/IL 47 junction in downtown Sugar Grove). IL 251 has at least one Gas Station, right off the exit

I bet DeKalb would beg to have the toll lifted at Annie Glidden Road, if they could develop Annie Glidden to be a Truck/Services Stop, which they don't have a market to do as long as the Oasis is there AND having the Annie Glidden Exit tolled

The Dixon exit on I-88 is free -- used to be tolled in one direction, but not anymore. That exit is pretty much a typical Interstate-type Food and Fuel/Services Stop, and distance-wise, is about the distance a 2nd Oasis on I-88 could/should have been from DeKalb

ISTHA and the towns that the Tollways flow thru, even the rural parts of I-90 and I-88, would adapt and provide the motorist services that the Belvidere and DeKalb Oases do today

tdindy88

Having driven the Tri-State Tollway both ways one time I was curious about the two oases that to me were rather close to each other, the two mentioned in this upcoming project. I wonder if it would be possible to rebuild just one of them but as a full-size Oasis with the proper clearance for expanded highway and have the other one as a gas station option like Des Plaines is now? Maybe set up the construction so one remains open at all times.

As for the other Oases, they should stay in my opinion, it's especially nice to have one on the southern end and one up north toward Wisconsin, plus the two they have on I-90 and I-88.

ilpt4u

I think about the only way you could keep an Oasis on the Central Tri-State, after the rebuild/widen, would be to place it at one of the existing Toll Booth sites (plenty of ROW -- especially a "both ways" toll gate like Cermak), and then go All-Electronic Tolling with gantries at other locations

I think both the Hinsdale and O'Hare Oases are done, with this project. Just not gonna be room

Come on, the O'Hare Oasis is really there, for Visitors to buy gas on the way back to return the Rental Car at the Airport, right? :P

Probably why Gas Stations remain from what is left of the Des Plaines Oasis, as it serves the same purpose on I-90

Joe The Dragon

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.