News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gordie Howe Bridge (US-Canada)

Started by CoolAngrybirdsrio4, January 13, 2022, 02:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

I am glad that Fort Wayne has been preserved in the process of constructing the bridge. :)
Renewed roadgeek

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 31, 2022, 03:20:51 PM
I know I will probably never use the Gordie Howe Bridge considering I have no desire to be in Canada again and if my travels take me to the east coast I will go around the south side of Lake Erie.
From your location, isn't the Blue Water Bridge the better/quicker option to get to Ontario than the Gordie Howe (or any other Detroit area bridges) in the first place?

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 02, 2022, 12:05:34 AM
I know I will probably never use the Gordie Howe Bridge considering I have no desire to be in Canada again and if my travels take me to the east coast I will go around the south side of Lake Erie.
From your location, isn't the Blue Water Bridge the better/quicker option to get to Ontario than the Gordie Howe (or any other Detroit area bridges) in the first place?
It depends on where in Ontario I'd be going to.

Flint1979

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on February 01, 2022, 08:22:38 PM
I am glad that Fort Wayne has been preserved in the process of constructing the bridge. :)
Well it would have to be, it's a historic site so they wouldn't be able to do anything to it.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2022, 09:32:23 AM
I'm thinking of London eastward, including the Toronto area and Niagara Falls (to re-enter the US if going to Upstate NY/New England).

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 02, 2022, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2022, 09:32:23 AM
I'm thinking of London eastward, including the Toronto area and Niagara Falls (to re-enter the US if going to Upstate NY/New England).
London would be quicker to go over the Blue Water Bridge from where I'm at (I'm in Saginaw) it's about a 3 hour or so drive not counting the time you spend at the border to clear customs. Toronto and Niagara Falls same thing. Like if I was heading to Boston or somewhere near there it's still almost 2 hours quicker to go through Canada but I'm also thinking of the travel due to the pandemic.

Now get this, if I was heading to NYC it's about 700 miles and 11 hours to go via I-75, US-23, Ohio Turnpike, I-80 across PA and NJ. To go through Canada which is actually the shorter route by about 15 miles takes an extra half hour and yet another route consisting of also going through Canada but doing a slightly different routing in New York is one more mile but an extra half hour as well.

To go to Buffalo through Canada is about 6 hours and 360 miles. To go on the south side of Lake Erie it's about an extra hour and 100 miles. My whole point is that if you don't have to be in Canada it's not an outrageous amount of time difference to just stay in the United States and go around the south side of Lake Erie.

cbeach40

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 02, 2022, 10:50:40 AM

To or from London and easterly, it's pretty close to even and will be even when the GHIB opens. Traffic at the crossings or the roads leading to/from them is my deciding factor when I'm making that journey.

(Though streamers off Lake Huron making the winter drive on the 402 treacherous can come into play, but that's only occasionally a factor).
and waterrrrrrr!

Flint1979

If I was going to Burlington, Vermont I wouldn't re-enter the US until I got to the border crossing at Swanton, Vermont and then take I-89 the rest of the way after re-entering the United States. That wouldn't require me to use the Gordie Howe Bridge. Unless I was starting in Detroit and going to like Toronto then it would make more sense than going to Port Huron and taking 402 to 401 when I can hook up with 401 in Windsor but that's if my starting point was in the Detroit area. The only time it'd make sense to use the Mr. Hockey Bridge would be if I was going to like Winsdor or Leamington or Amherstburg or somewhere like that.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2022, 07:23:50 PM
If I was going to Burlington, Vermont I wouldn't re-enter the US until I got to the border crossing at Swanton, Vermont and then take I-89 the rest of the way after re-entering the United States. That wouldn't require me to use the Gordie Howe Bridge. Unless I was starting in Detroit and going to like Toronto then it would make more sense than going to Port Huron and taking 402 to 401 when I can hook up with 401 in Windsor but that's if my starting point was in the Detroit area. The only time it'd make sense to use the Mr. Hockey Bridge would be if I was going to like Winsdor or Leamington or Amherstburg or somewhere like that.
If you were going to Windsor that still probably wouldn't make sense because everything of interest in Windsor is closer to the tunnel or Ambassador Bridge.

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on February 03, 2022, 01:12:17 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2022, 07:23:50 PM
If you were going to Windsor that still probably wouldn't make sense because everything of interest in Windsor is closer to the tunnel or Ambassador Bridge.
That's true too. I'm trying to remember but the last time I was in Windsor was several years ago and I believe I used the tunnel both ways.

cbeach40

Gallery update on the official project site, updated progress on the US POE.
https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en/gallery
and waterrrrrrr!

Flint1979

Quote from: cbeach40 on February 03, 2022, 08:52:03 AM
Gallery update on the official project site, updated progress on the US POE.
https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en/gallery
Looking at the first picture it looks like it's going between Zug Island and Fort Wayne just as I had assumed.

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

Flint1979

Quote from: cbeach40 on February 03, 2022, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: catch22 on January 13, 2022, 08:47:49 PM

This is from the bridge's web site.  More diagrams here: https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en/gallery#2

I've been in that area of Detroit since construction started and you can get the idea that it's going to be between Jefferson on the south, Fort or in that general area on the north, Green on the west and Campbell on the east. Pretty much eliminating a good portion of Delray.

Plutonic Panda

The towers are getting close to being completed:

QuoteThe Gordie Howe International Bridge project team will soon begin work on the final portion of the bridge tower–the pylon head–that will connect Windsor, Ontario with Detroit, Michigan.

The project team says the tower legs–or lower pylon–have reached their full height of 460 ft. The design-build team under Bridging North America will complete the final 262 ft of the tower over the remainder of 2022.

- https://www.roadsbridges.com/gordie-howe-international-bridge-enters-next-stage-tower-construction

Plutonic Panda

wanderer2575

Quote from: cbeach40 on January 27, 2022, 03:03:50 PM
On this side, bridge name has been added (photo courtesy asphaltplanet whom I thank). Same treatment will be applied to the GHIB.

The sign on the right is original; the bridge name was not recently added.

The sign on the left is newer.  I assume that with construction, all traffic must exit at Huron Church Road and cannot continue to Ojibway Parkway, correct?

Something else I noticed the other day while goofing off in Google Maps Streetview:  The signs on the westbound 401 at Dougall Parkway are fairly new, and the sign for 401 now says "Bridges to USA" with the plural "s" temporarily greened out.
https://goo.gl/maps/XWEqXDVP1icDKYDu7

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2022, 09:33:40 AM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on February 01, 2022, 08:22:38 PM
Well it would have to be, it's a historic site so they wouldn't be able to do anything to it.

There have been off and on discussions about making Fort Wayne a part of the River Raisin National Battlefield Park. The main unit of River Raisin is in Monroe, with a second unit in Brownstown Township. Personally, I support adding Fort Wayne to the National Park System, because it would draw more visitors to the fort.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cbeach40 on January 30, 2022, 03:41:48 AM
Quote from: vdeane on January 30, 2022, 12:33:36 AM
Interesting about ON 420, especially given as that part isn't signed with the provential shield but rather the regional route shield.  Is that in error or are regional routes considered to be part of the provincial system (similar to the class 1 town roads in Vermont signed with the circle shield rather than the green state route shield)?  I've always thought of them as being the equivalent of county routes.

Well, that's the fun part of the whole Ontario signing not being based on jurisdiction - it's both.  :crazy:
So, it actually is signed with both RR flowerpots and Provincial Highway crowns.

Then again, you have this a little bit farther beyond that sign. lol. https://goo.gl/maps/JHmmhuNGvcCqufLs5

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cbeach40 on January 27, 2022, 12:31:30 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 27, 2022, 10:33:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 26, 2022, 08:29:50 PM
If you really want to see some heads explode, keep signing it ON-401 into the United States. Hey, if we can have AR-43 in Oklahoma, why not? :sombrero:
Considering Canada paid for the bridge, I wouldn't completely rule that out  :)

Based on the emojis there's definitely some tongue in cheek here, but in the interest of roads discussion, the bridge itself will not be part of Hwy 401 as the highway ends where the GH bridge begins. Source: I did the sign design and plan for the westernmost bridge of the 401 and the MTO signs within the bridge plaza. Including a big ol' 401 ENDS in there.  :D

Does this mean you'll also finally get ON-3 shields added along Huron Church Road between EC Row & the Ambassador Bridge?  :-P

cbeach40

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 16, 2022, 10:10:17 PM
Then again, you have this a little bit farther beyond that sign. lol. https://goo.gl/maps/JHmmhuNGvcCqufLs5

Yeah, saw that one a few weeks ago. There's just so many things wrong with that sign, both content and design.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 16, 2022, 10:12:17 PM
Does this mean you'll also finally get ON-3 shields added along Huron Church Road between EC Row & the Ambassador Bridge?  :-P

Tried, couldn't get others to play ball on it. Not yet at least.
and waterrrrrrr!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cbeach40 on May 24, 2022, 10:45:52 AM

Hope you can convince others soon, as when you have this sign with a big ON-3 shield on it for the exit, and then 'nothing'.  Could honestly confuse some people who were looking for the shields after that exit.

cbeach40

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 24, 2022, 08:19:07 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on May 24, 2022, 10:45:52 AM

Hope you can convince others soon, as when you have this sign with a big ON-3 shield on it for the exit, and then 'nothing'.  Could honestly confuse some people who were looking for the shields after that exit.

There are supposed to be signs going into that area just off that particular ramp as part of the reconstruction of the ramp terminals at Hwy 3 and EC Row. The Windsor portion west (or if you will, north) of Industrial, Windsor had some construction projects going on so adding the signs through there was a logistical headache. I'll try again when that work is done.
and waterrrrrrr!

dvferyance

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 13, 2022, 06:20:43 PM
Have it been decided what the US approach to the bridge be called yet? I see a few options here:
1) an x75
2) M-401 (my preference)
3) "Bridge to Canada" , without a route number.
I think an I-96 extension would be the best option. Then all Michigan interstates would touch Canada.

Terry Shea

Quote from: dvferyance on May 27, 2022, 08:23:09 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 13, 2022, 06:20:43 PM
Have it been decided what the US approach to the bridge be called yet? I see a few options here:
1) an x75
2) M-401 (my preference)
3) "Bridge to Canada" , without a route number.
I think an I-96 extension would be the best option. Then all Michigan interstates would touch Canada.
That would make no sense whatsoever.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.