News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I wonder if this will be signed as SR 912 it will be at each end.

nwi_navigator_1181

About damned time. After all the false starts I posted in this thread alone, I just about gave up on it.

And I'm sure the Indiana 912 designation will stay in place.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

So I asked a friend at INDOT, and he said the right turn signals in Lafayette don't have a phase (it wasn't specified in the contract), they are there for safety purposes to delineate the lanes.  He didn't say if the signals in the Valpo area are for the same reason, but it's possible that it is. 

bmeiser

Carmel has a lot of roundabout projects in the works. Most notably "expediting the roundabout interchange at 96th and Keystone"
Carmel mayor announces improvements for city's east side

http://www.wthr.com/story/28200860/carmel-mayor-announces-improvements-for-citys-east-side

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on February 25, 2015, 06:31:08 PM
Carmel has a lot of roundabout projects in the works. Most notably "expediting the roundabout interchange at 96th and Keystone"
Carmel mayor announces improvements for city's east side

http://www.wthr.com/story/28200860/carmel-mayor-announces-improvements-for-citys-east-side

You beat me to it, these are all great ideas, the only thing I wish would be done is another bridge over the white river.  Why are they so vague on 96th street?  What do they mean by "expedite the process"?  it will start construction soon?  Also where are these roundabouts on 96th street going?  I wish they had more specifics.  What will the river road realignment look like, will 122nd cease to exist? unrelated to carmel, imo fishers needs to scrap plans for a 69/106th st interchange and move it to 126th street. 

tdindy88

96th Street east of Keystone toward I-69 strikes me as a very commercial corridor with a lot of businesses, I'm not sure how this whole roundabout thing would work on that stretch. At that rate I wonder how far we are until Carmel proposes roundabouts along 146th Street east of US 31 to the White River. Here I thought that a few roads were safe from roundabouts due to traffic volume but I was wrong.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 25, 2015, 07:11:19 PM
96th Street east of Keystone toward I-69 strikes me as a very commercial corridor with a lot of businesses, I'm not sure how this whole roundabout thing would work on that stretch. At that rate I wonder how far we are until Carmel proposes roundabouts along 146th Street east of US 31 to the White River. Here I thought that a few roads were safe from roundabouts due to traffic volume but I was wrong.

I said the same thing, I never thought they'd put them on 146th, but they are at every intersection west of Spring Mill.  The Ditch rd one is finished i think, but the other 4 way stops havent been fixed just yet.

bmeiser

The map included in the article just shows "96th Street Improvements" and doesn't mention roundabouts, although the article did: http://carmel.in.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=5692

I've never really had much of an issue with traffic on that stretch of 96th street (other than at Keystone). Seems to function just fine the way it is.

I've always thought that Gray Road needed roundabouts.  Glad that's finally happening.  And I'm happy to hear about the bike lane improvements along 126th street.  Riding from the Monon to my parent's house around Gray Rd isn't the safest.  Had a fire truck speed by me with its siren going once and I about rode into the ditch.

I'm curious to find out more details on the River Rd. reconstruction and realignment.  I wonder what that will look like.

Glad to see this city that likes to blow money is blowing some of it on their roads!

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on February 26, 2015, 09:41:03 AM

The map included in the article just shows "96th Street Improvements" and doesn't mention roundabouts, although the article did: http://carmel.in.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=5692

I've never really had much of an issue with traffic on that stretch of 96th street (other than at Keystone). Seems to function just fine the way it is.

I've always thought that Gray Road needed roundabouts.  Glad that's finally happening.  And I'm happy to hear about the bike lane improvements along 126th street.  Riding from the Monon to my parent's house around Gray Rd isn't the safest.  Had a fire truck speed by me with its siren going once and I about rode into the ditch.

I'm curious to find out more details on the River Rd. reconstruction and realignment.  I wonder what that will look like.

Glad to see this city that likes to blow money is blowing some of it on their roads!

that's one thing carmel does that all cities should do, blow money on much needed street/infrastructure improvements that make sense. I wish Indy were more like this.

tdindy88

If Indy had the money for it. They have some money available for some projects but not nearly enough for all the things that should be done with the roads. It's the size of the city that's a problem, it's too big with too many roads and not enough money to cover it all. Carmel covers a much smaller space and can dedicate money to a variety of road projects that just appears to cover more of the city.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 26, 2015, 08:45:49 PM
If Indy had the money for it. They have some money available for some projects but not nearly enough for all the things that should be done with the roads. It's the size of the city that's a problem, it's too big with too many roads and not enough money to cover it all. Carmel covers a much smaller space and can dedicate money to a variety of road projects that just appears to cover more of the city.

you're completely right, but one can dream.  there are so many things Indy could do if there was any money to do it. does anyone have any projects they wish indy would do?  (it might be better to post this as a topic in the fictional thread)

trafficsignal

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 27, 2015, 07:27:44 AM

you're completely right, but one can dream.  there are so many things Indy could do if there was any money to do it. does anyone have any projects they wish indy would do?  (it might be better to post this as a topic in the fictional thread)

Turn Keystone to freeway / expressway from 465 to 70, and replace the signals on Binford with interchanges.

silverback1065

Quote from: trafficsignal on February 27, 2015, 02:34:44 PM

Turn Keystone to freeway / expressway from 465 to 70, and replace the signals on Binford with interchanges.
I'd go further and upgrade fall creek parkway to capitol ave to either interchanges or roundabouts. I'd also put a roundabout at college and Kessler.

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 27, 2015, 02:36:29 PM
Quote from: trafficsignal on February 27, 2015, 02:34:44 PM

I'd go further and upgrade fall creek parkway to capitol ave to either interchanges or roundabouts. I'd also put a roundabout at college and Kessler.
Why specifically College and Kessler? I'd agree that it needs a roundabout, but what makes that one special?
Also, does Binford end at Keystone? If so, I would totally be in favor of turning it into a freeway.
But I feel like upgrading Fall Creek Pkwy. to Capitol would be really hard considering what is passes by. (State fair, Ivy tech, creekfront property, etc.)

silverback1065

The college/Kessler intersection can get pretty congested during rush hour. Putting roundabouts on fall creek parkway could work. Binford ends 1 block east of keystone at allisonville rd

mobilene

There are viable businesses on all four corners there. Not sure which of them would be happy about being killed off in favor of a roundabout.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

silverback1065

Quote from: mobilene on March 02, 2015, 10:22:36 AM

There are viable businesses on all four corners there. Not sure which of them would be happy about being killed off in favor of a roundabout.

one can dream

mukade

Widening I-65 south of Indianapolis will begin next week:

Groundbreaking on a major construction project on I-65 is Tuesday. Work begins Sunday... It's a Major Moves 2020 project, the first one...

Groundbreaking Tuesday on major south side I-65 construction project (WTHR)

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on March 10, 2015, 06:42:38 AM
Widening I-65 south of Indianapolis will begin next week:

Groundbreaking on a major construction project on I-65 is Tuesday. Work begins Sunday... It's a Major Moves 2020 project, the first one...

Groundbreaking Tuesday on major south side I-65 construction project (WTHR)

What other sections are being done? It only mentions the greenwood portion.

billtm

The section of I-65 bypassing Lafayette from the SR 38 exit to the SR 25 exit will be done too... so I've heard. :-P

tdindy88

Also with Major Moves 2020 the stretch of I-65 from Exit 9 in Sellersburg to Exit 15 in Memphis will be widened to three lanes, I think that's already been annouced. A widening of I-65 from US 30 to SR 2 in Lake County has been mentioned as part of the Illiana Expressway project and with that currently on the backburner I wonder if the widening is still planned or not with or without the tollway.

In the coming weeks I believe work will also be announced for I-69 from Exit 205 to Exit 210 for widening to three lanes along with the stretch from Exit 210 to 213, a two-phase project. Looking at plans on INDOT's website for the Greenfield District it also appears as if the Exit 210 (old SR 238, now Campus-Southeastern Parkways) interchange will be redone as a diverging diamond as a part of this project.

Just like how the Southsiders are now having to endure yet another road project further down the highway, it looks as if Northsiders will have to do the same.

NWI_Irish96

All they need now is just that last little segment from Memphis to Franklin and they're all set.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

bmeiser

I'd say there's more construction coming up for I-69. Just received this email from INDOT today

Quote_The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will hold a public hearing on Thursday, March 19, 2015 at the Fishers City Hall Auditorium, One Municipal Drive, Fishers, Indiana 46038, the public hearing will begin 6:00 p.m._ *The purpose of the public hearing is to offer all interested persons an opportunity to comment on current plans for a proposed I-69 Interstate Expansion project which includes added travel lanes from 106th Street to 0.5 mile north of Southeastern Parkway/Campus Parkway and added travel lanes from 0.5 mile north of Southeastern Parkway/Campus Parkway to 0.5 East of S.R. 13 in Hamilton and Madison Counties. In addition, the proposed project involves an interchange modification at exit 210 (Campus Parkway/Southeastern Parkway) in Hamilton County.   

The proposed I-69 expansion project involves the construction of additional lanes within the existing median from Exit 205 (116th Street and SR 37 in Fishers) to 0.5 mile north of Exit 210 (Southeastern Parkway/Campus Parkway). An outside auxiliary lane will be added on SB I-69 from 106th Street to 116th Street. Existing pavement will be resurfaced. All mainline bridges will be widened in the median (including the Sand Creek NB bridge and SB bridge). In addition, the project will construct additional lanes within the existing median from 0.5 mile north of Exit 210 to 0.5 mile east of S.R. 13. Existing pavement will be resurfaced. All mainline bridges will be widened in the median (including the Mud Creek NB bridge and SB bridge, the Thorpe Creek NB bridge and SB bridge, and the S.R. 13 NB bridge and SB bridge. The interchange at Exit 210 (Campus Parkway/Southeastern Parkway) is proposed to be modified. The project also involves noise analysis as part of the interstate expansion. INDOT is evaluating noise impact to determine abatement measures as part of this project. Additional details regarding the interstate expansion and interchange modification will be presented in greater detail at the public hearing.

The environmental document and related project documentation are available for viewing at the following locations:

1.   Hearings Examiner, Room N642, Indiana Government Center North, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204‑2216, Phone  (317) 232-6601 (8am to 5pm)

2.   Fishers City Hall, One Municipal Drive, Fishers, Indiana 46038, Phone  (317) 595-3111 (8:30am to 4:30pm)

3.   INDOT website at http://www.indot.in.gov Greenfield District Page

The tentative timetables for construction will be discussed during the formal presentation. This project does not involve the acquisition of right-of-way as work is proposed to take place entirely within existing right-of-way. The proposed maintenance of traffic plan will be presented as part of the formal presentation. Public statements for the record will be accepted as part of the public hearing procedure. All verbal statements recorded during the public hearing and all written comments submitted prior to, during and for a period of two (2) weeks following the hearing date, will be evaluated, considered and addressed in subsequent environmental documentation. Written comments may be submitted prior to the public hearing and within the comment period to: INDOT Public Hearings, IGCN Room N642, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204.

With advance notice, INDOT can provide special accommodation for persons with disabilities and/or limited English speaking ability and persons needing auxiliary aids or services such as interpreters, signers, readers, or large print. Should special accommodation be needed in regards to the attendance and participation during the public hearing, please contact the Office of Public Involvement at (317) 232-6601, or email rclark@indot.in.gov

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on March 14, 2015, 01:59:16 AM
I'd say there's more construction coming up for I-69. Just received this email from INDOT today

Quote_The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will hold a public hearing on Thursday, March 19, 2015 at the Fishers City Hall Auditorium, One Municipal Drive, Fishers, Indiana 46038, the public hearing will begin 6:00 p.m._ *The purpose of the public hearing is to offer all interested persons an opportunity to comment on current plans for a proposed I-69 Interstate Expansion project which includes added travel lanes from 106th Street to 0.5 mile north of Southeastern Parkway/Campus Parkway and added travel lanes from 0.5 mile north of Southeastern Parkway/Campus Parkway to 0.5 East of S.R. 13 in Hamilton and Madison Counties. In addition, the proposed project involves an interchange modification at exit 210 (Campus Parkway/Southeastern Parkway) in Hamilton County.   

The proposed I-69 expansion project involves the construction of additional lanes within the existing median from Exit 205 (116th Street and SR 37 in Fishers) to 0.5 mile north of Exit 210 (Southeastern Parkway/Campus Parkway). An outside auxiliary lane will be added on SB I-69 from 106th Street to 116th Street. Existing pavement will be resurfaced. All mainline bridges will be widened in the median (including the Sand Creek NB bridge and SB bridge). In addition, the project will construct additional lanes within the existing median from 0.5 mile north of Exit 210 to 0.5 mile east of S.R. 13. Existing pavement will be resurfaced. All mainline bridges will be widened in the median (including the Mud Creek NB bridge and SB bridge, the Thorpe Creek NB bridge and SB bridge, and the S.R. 13 NB bridge and SB bridge. The interchange at Exit 210 (Campus Parkway/Southeastern Parkway) is proposed to be modified. The project also involves noise analysis as part of the interstate expansion. INDOT is evaluating noise impact to determine abatement measures as part of this project. Additional details regarding the interstate expansion and interchange modification will be presented in greater detail at the public hearing.

The environmental document and related project documentation are available for viewing at the following locations:

1.   Hearings Examiner, Room N642, Indiana Government Center North, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204‑2216, Phone  (317) 232-6601 (8am to 5pm)

2.   Fishers City Hall, One Municipal Drive, Fishers, Indiana 46038, Phone  (317) 595-3111 (8:30am to 4:30pm)

3.   INDOT website at http://www.indot.in.gov Greenfield District Page

The tentative timetables for construction will be discussed during the formal presentation. This project does not involve the acquisition of right-of-way as work is proposed to take place entirely within existing right-of-way. The proposed maintenance of traffic plan will be presented as part of the formal presentation. Public statements for the record will be accepted as part of the public hearing procedure. All verbal statements recorded during the public hearing and all written comments submitted prior to, during and for a period of two (2) weeks following the hearing date, will be evaluated, considered and addressed in subsequent environmental documentation. Written comments may be submitted prior to the public hearing and within the comment period to: INDOT Public Hearings, IGCN Room N642, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204.

With advance notice, INDOT can provide special accommodation for persons with disabilities and/or limited English speaking ability and persons needing auxiliary aids or services such as interpreters, signers, readers, or large print. Should special accommodation be needed in regards to the attendance and participation during the public hearing, please contact the Office of Public Involvement at (317) 232-6601, or email rclark@indot.in.gov
Nice they are going to do a double reverse interchange (diverging diamond)

silverback1065

does anyone know what the keystone parkway/96th street interchange will look like?  will it be exactly the same as all the others?  can they fit one like that in the area (would weaving become a problem going from the on ramp from 96th to south keystone and the same issue from north keystone to 96th)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.