News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhuntin1

Has US-421 been decommissioned? I had to make the full circle on I-465 yesterday for work related reasons and noticed that the Michigan Road exit signage (at least eastbound) is missing all references to US-421. The I-74 interchange in the southeast corner hasn't had 421 markings in years.

Who's paying for the Keystone/96th interchange? I can't imagine Indianapolis will and the state won't. Would Carmel really pony up that much money for it?

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on March 17, 2015, 07:31:25 PM
Has US-421 been decommissioned? I had to make the full circle on I-465 yesterday for work related reasons and noticed that the Michigan Road exit signage (at least eastbound) is missing all references to US-421. The I-74 interchange in the southeast corner hasn't had 421 markings in years.

Who's paying for the Keystone/96th interchange? I can't imagine Indianapolis will and the state won't. Would Carmel really pony up that much money for it?

US 421 still exists, the michigan road segment's signs are really old and falling apart, the shields simply fell off the BGS, and one was knocked down last winter by a vehicle, INDOT is just too lazy to fix it.  It still does leave the city via I-74 on the SE side, but for some reason they forgot to add the 421 shield to the BGS down there. As soon as you leave 465 on both sides of the city, 421 shields are still up.  Carmel will be paying for the interchange in full i believe.  Indianapolis doesn't own keystone in between 465 and 96th street, it's unsigned, but according to INDOT maps (online map of their highway inventory) it's 431 still for that short piece.  Granted, 421 should begin in Greensburg, and Michigan Road should be SR 29.

nwi_navigator_1181

More Toll Road woes at Lake Station, per the Times.

The westbound entrance from the Borman will close March 30 for ramp reconstruction. The closure is expected to last for 13 weeks. Those looking to make the jump from the Borman to the Westbound Toll Road will have to use nearby I-65 to do it.

This is said to be part of an even bigger project that will (finally) see the ramp bridge connecting the westbound Toll Road to the westbound Borman (essentially westbound I-80) rebuilt, which is targeted for fall completion.

So, to summarize, these will be the only movements available at the Lake Station interchange starting in April:

The Borman Expressway (either direction) to the Eastbound Toll Road
The Eastbound Toll Road to either direction of the Borman Expressway

All other movements must be facilitated via I-65, which will pinch traffic for a short stretch.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Not sure where to ask this, but is Home Place part of Carmel?  I remember a few years ago Carmel tried to annex them, and they were very against it.

Unrelated, but here is some more information on a new Keystone interchange: http://currentincarmel.com/hamilton-county-to-build-new-keystone-ramp-from-146th-street-in-2017

This one shows a map of the new road.

tdindy88

As far as I know, it's still its own community. Technically I believe it's just considered an incorporated part of Clay Township, which has the same boundaries as Carmel. To date Carmel has not been able to annex them.

bmeiser

Fishers and Hamilton County are planning some improvements for 96th street East of I-69 including 2 new lanes and 2 roundabouts.  I personally think it could be 4 lanes all the way to the new roundabout at Fall Creek, but this is a good start:
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2015/03/23/county-fishers-add-roundabouts-lanes-th-street/25035855/

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 23, 2015, 11:41:52 AM
As far as I know, it's still its own community. Technically I believe it's just considered an incorporated part of Clay Township, which has the same boundaries as Carmel. To date Carmel has not been able to annex them.

I'm not sure about Home Place, but I do know that there are parts of Hamilton County that are within the city limits (and school district boundary) of Westfield but have Carmel addresses.  USPS had the Carmel PO delivering mail to these areas back when they were unincorporated, and never bothered to change once the areas got annexed by Westfield.  I wonder how many people bought houses with "Carmel addresses" with the false belief that they would be in Carmel's school district?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Interesting. Westfield's borders are weird. It's like they purposely annexed out to the county line just so Carmel couldn't go north of 146th st. I wonder if Carmel will try to annex home place again in the future. I wonder why they are so against it

tdindy88

Westfield's borders were annexed that way exactly so Carmel couldn't expand north. Boone County has Lebanon, Whitestown and Zionsville annexation everything for the same reasons. I'm sure the addresses aren't exactly perfect there either. Southern Madison County has had some issues as well with annexing involving Ingals, Lapel and Fortville.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 25, 2015, 10:06:48 PM
Westfield's borders were annexed that way exactly so Carmel couldn't expand north. Boone County has Lebanon, Whitestown and Zionsville annexation everything for the same reasons. I'm sure the addresses aren't exactly perfect there either. Southern Madison County has had some issues as well with annexing involving Ingals, Lapel and Fortville.
Granted, I don't think Carmel wanted to go north of 146th.  The northern suburbs all appear to be rivals. There's a lot of development along 146th st now going toward boone county.

silverback1065

i noticed signs saying there would be construction on (starting on 4/10/15) 421/michigan road on the northside, any idea on what's going on? I'm sure it's minor work, I wish they'd redo that and 865.

silverback1065

this is unrelated to my previous post, but I stumbled upon this a minute ago: http://www.wthr.com/story/6153060/state-has-more-plans-for-us-421

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 25, 2015, 07:29:19 PM

I said the same thing, I never thought they'd put them on 146th, but they are at every intersection west of Spring Mill.  The Ditch rd one is finished i think, but the other 4 way stops havent been fixed just yet.

The roundabout is finished however 146th street has not yet been relocated to meet up with the new roundabout.  The 4 way stop still exists south of the roundabout.  That portion of the project should be done by fall.   You can see the plans  here.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on March 29, 2015, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 25, 2015, 07:29:19 PM

I said the same thing, I never thought they'd put them on 146th, but they are at every intersection west of Spring Mill.  The Ditch rd one is finished i think, but the other 4 way stops havent been fixed just yet.

The roundabout is finished however 146th street has not yet been relocated to meet up with the new roundabout.  The 4 way stop still exists south of the roundabout.  That portion of the project should be done by fall.   You can see the plans  here.

interesting, they went with all roundabouts, and frontage roads.  the small portion from the county line to 421 needs to be widened too, but that's boone county's problem.  I wonder why the road was realigned so far north at ditch.  Also, is the roundabout at little eagle creek ave. needed?

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2015, 09:58:34 AM
SR 38 is no longer cosigned with US 421 and sr 39 in Frankfort it now has a gap in it. It ends north of the city and picks up again just south of the city.
Very confusing at first as I was going to use 38 to get to Lafayette from there.

I only anticipate that SR38 will be further truncated as warranted in the future there is no need for several sections of the highway. T Only the eastern section east of I-69 in pendleton and eastward should remain. The central sections through Noblesville, Sheridan, Kirklin and Frankfort are not needed because they are served by other state highways. (On that note SR-47 should be extended along 236th street to US-31.)  the western half of the highway, it should be relinquished to the state as it currently serves only the small town of Mulberry and terminates on a non state highway (Sagamore Parkway; aka. former US-52)
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

silverback1065

Quote from: Indyroads on March 31, 2015, 05:49:22 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2015, 09:58:34 AM
SR 38 is no longer cosigned with US 421 and sr 39 in Frankfort it now has a gap in it. It ends north of the city and picks up again just south of the city.
Very confusing at first as I was going to use 38 to get to Lafayette from there.

I only anticipate that SR38 will be further truncated as warranted in the future there is no need for several sections of the highway. T Only the eastern section east of I-69 in pendleton and eastward should remain. The central sections through Noblesville, Sheridan, Kirklin and Frankfort are not needed because they are served by other state highways. (On that note SR-47 should be extended along 236th street to US-31.)  the western half of the highway, it should be relinquished to the state as it currently serves only the small town of Mulberry and terminates on a non state highway (Sagamore Parkway; aka. former US-52)
Sr 47 once used to go to us 31 via 236th. Im honestly surprised sr 32 hasn't been cut into ribbons yet. Sr 38 is too zig zaggy to make sense anymore

nwi_navigator_1181

Flashing yellow arrows will be coming to Northwest Indiana. U.S. 6 and U.S. 30 are the two highways that will be the first to have them. Nine intersections collectively along those routes will be modernized with the new signal system, beginning with U.S. 30 and Fountain Park Drive in Schererville on March 30.

U.S. 30 has already seen signal improvements over a large stretch of its route from Valparaiso to Merrillville, with red left arrow signals in place from just west of Indiana 49 to (at least) Indiana 55.

They haven't announced which intersections on U.S. 6 will get the flashing yellow arrows, but I have an idea...

Indiana 149 near South Haven
Indiana 51 in Hobart
County Line Road
The Meijer/Walmart entrance just east of Willowcreek Road
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Indyroads

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AM
Flashing yellow arrows will be coming to Northwest Indiana. U.S. 6 and U.S. 30 are the two highways that will be the first to have them. Nine intersections collectively along those routes will be modernized with the new signal system, beginning with U.S. 30 and Fountain Park Drive in Schererville on March 30.

U.S. 30 has already seen signal improvements over a large stretch of its route from Valparaiso to Merrillville, with red left arrow signals in place from just west of Indiana 49 to (at least) Indiana 55.

They haven't announced which intersections on U.S. 6 will get the flashing yellow arrows, but I have an idea...

Indiana 149 near South Haven
Indiana 51 in Hobart
County Line Road
The Meijer/Walmart entrance just east of Willowcreek Road

FYA signal already installed north of Indy in the costruction zone of US31 and 196th street.. this is a temporary signal however while US-31 is being upgraded to freeway
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

silverback1065

The 421 construction I heard was a resurfacing project from 465 to 116th.

Revive 755

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AM

Is INDOT going with the traditional four-section FYA heads for those, or are they using the newer thee-section combined FYA - steady yellow arrow heads for these signals?  It appears they recently received interim approval for the three-section version. (scroll to the bottom of this page)

silverback1065

Has SR 342 (by the terre haute airport) been decommissioned?

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 06, 2015, 06:08:50 PM
Why would you think its been decommissioned? :confused:

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on April 07, 2015, 09:33:34 PM
Looking at the street view all the signs are gone and the Indiana highway ends site lists it as being decommissioned.

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 07, 2015, 09:34:45 PM
Quote from: billtm on April 07, 2015, 09:33:34 PM
Looking at the street view all the signs are gone and the Indiana highway ends site lists it as being decommissioned.
The stub that is/was IN-342 does appear on my "INDIANA Official 2015 Roadway Map", though it is not labeled as IN-342. It appears the same way in the 2014 version of the map. Of all the highways in the state road system, this seems like one of the most likely to be unsigned. But INDOT normally does a very good job of signing all its state highways.

billtm

Just did a little more research. On Indiana Hwy. Ends, the signage is still there at 2005. But, on street view the signage seems to be gone by 2009. The road is probably decommissioned. So now my question is: What's INDOT's policy with roads to military locations? Is there one? And if there is one, does it say that they need state road access? I know Crane has 645 or 558 serving it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.