News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: billtm on April 07, 2015, 09:58:19 PM
Just did a little more research. On Indiana Hwy. Ends, the signage is still there at 2005. But, on street view the signage seems to be gone by 2009. The road is probably decommissioned. So now my question is: What's INDOT's policy with roads to military locations? Is there one? And if there is one, does it say that they need state road access? I know Crane has 645 or 558 serving it. 

Fort Harrison was never directly connected to a signed highway, so I doubt there is an INDOT policy regarding that. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Indyroads

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 01, 2015, 07:48:38 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AM
Flashing yellow arrows will be coming to Northwest Indiana. U.S. 6 and U.S. 30 are the two highways that will be the first to have them. Nine intersections collectively along those routes will be modernized with the new signal system, beginning with U.S. 30 and Fountain Park Drive in Schererville on March 30.

Is INDOT going with the traditional four-section FYA heads for those, or are they using the newer thee-section combined FYA - steady yellow arrow heads for these signals?  It appears they recently received interim approval for the three-section version. (scroll to the bottom of this page)

The 4 section FYA replaced the 3 section. if interrim approval has been granted for the 3 section signal then they will likely be converted over to the 4 section at some point. This is what happened in SW idaho when they were first being installed here about 6-7 years ago.

The ones being installed here will be the 4 section FYA. I actually like them better than the doghouses. Now if we can get indiana to switch to the mast arms instead of cable stayed. Plus Indiana needs to install SIDE signals instead of just overhead ones.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

nwi_navigator_1181

I just came home from our drive in Cincinnati and noticed some activity on I-65 to be on the lookout for.

Two pairs of bridges south of the Kankakee River are being worked on, and from the observation, it looks like crews are rebuilding the bridges to accommodate a third lane and an inner shoulder in the future.

Also, I saw signs warning drivers of construction for a 43-mile stretch, between just north of Indiana 43 and Lafayette Avenue in Lebanon. Very minimal activity right now, but it looks like this will be a long term effort to widen this section of I-65. If this is indeed the case, we'll eventually see six lanes from Indiana 43 to I-865, nearly fifty miles of work.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 08, 2015, 09:14:02 PM
I just came home from our drive in Cincinnati and noticed some activity on I-65 to be on the lookout for.

Two pairs of bridges south of the Kankakee River are being worked on, and from the observation, it looks like crews are rebuilding the bridges to accommodate a third lane and an inner shoulder in the future.

Also, I saw signs warning drivers of construction for a 43-mile stretch, between just north of Indiana 43 and Lafayette Avenue in Lebanon. Very minimal activity right now, but it looks like this will be a long term effort to widen this section of I-65. If this is indeed the case, we'll eventually see six lanes from Indiana 43 to I-865, nearly fifty miles of work.

that would be great! i wonder if the small portion between 465 and 865 will be widened

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 08, 2015, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 08, 2015, 09:14:02 PM

that would be great! i wonder if the small portion between 465 and 865 will be widened

I'm sure that's in the works. The overall goal is to have ALL of I-65 seeing at least three lanes of traffic in Indiana. They have to look at how to safely tie that section to the previously widened sections north and south of the area you speak of.

tdindy88

So far though, I don't think INDOT's announced any plans to actually widen the highway from Lafayette to Lebanon and I thought the work they were doing was only repaving. But if they are at least doing shoulder work and bridge work to prepare for the eventual time that will happen then I can mark Indiana down for being a little progressive for once.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 08, 2015, 10:15:26 PM
So far though, I don't think INDOT's announced any plans to actually widen the highway from Lafayette to Lebanon and I thought the work they were doing was only repaving. But if they are at least doing shoulder work and bridge work to prepare for the eventual time that will happen then I can mark Indiana down for being a little progressive for once.
I thought the next phase was to widen it around Lafayette from 43 to 38

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 08, 2015, 10:15:26 PM

It just seems logical. The south end of that 43-mile zone is right at the north end of the recently-finished expansion of I-65, and the north end is just a bit north of the section soon to be up for bids. I think 43 miles is a bit aggressive for simple paving, but I can be wrong.

monty

monty

silverback1065

silverback1065

another Google map maker fuck up, i tried to fix a small error on keystone.  I tried to remove the expressway part from 96th st to 465, and they accepted the edit, later i see some genius has changed it to have keystone be an expressway all the way down to south of 86th st.  Why is it that they refuse to accept any of your edits, when a lot of times even street view proves you right?

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 10, 2015, 07:48:21 AM
another Google map maker fuck up, i tried to fix a small error on keystone.  I tried to remove the expressway part from 96th st to 465, and they accepted the edit, later i see some genius has changed it to have keystone be an expressway all the way down to south of 86th st.  Why is it that they refuse to accept any of your edits, when a lot of times even street view proves you right?

Per Google's definition of Expressway this segment is marked correctly.   The segment would not qualify as a Freeway, since it has a few intersections.   It DOES qualify as Expressway since Google's definition allows a few intersections on an Expressway.  It doesn't matter that it doesn't match your personal definition of Expressway -- what matters is it matches Google's definition which is clearly defined in the Google Maps help section.  You may disagree with their definition, but you will be denied every time if you make an edit that ignores their definition.

"Expressways are high quality roads with few intersections that usually traverse an entire region. These roads are usually quite broad and can be easily identified when zoomed out in satellite imagery.

How to identify an expressway:

Accessible from both ramps and intersections, although intersections should be relatively rare and widely spaced.
Walking or biking not allowed, except in rare cases such as California in the U.S.
Either single or dual carriageway depending on the country."

NE2

Quote from: cjw2001 on April 11, 2015, 11:40:46 AM
Walking or biking not allowed, except in rare cases such as California in the U.S.
As I said last time someone posted this, walking and biking *is* allowed on the vast majority of surface expressways in the U.S.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

Right or wrong, the intent of the priority is to generally apply to roads that are almost freeways but with some at-grade intersections, and are still mostly access controlled. Keystone clearly meets the guidelines. Where exactly the priority change should occur on the south side is up for debate, but it's certainly not wrong to extend it to south of 86th given the full diamond interchange there.

silverback1065

In a perfect world, Keystone ave would be I-270.  Anyway, Google needs to have different colors to differentiate expressways and interstates (ex. 465 should be a different color than keystone).

mobilene

Quote from: Indyroads on March 31, 2015, 05:49:22 PM
(On that note SR-47 should be extended along 236th street to US-31.)

That would restore its original path -- once upon a time, it went all the way to US 31. Old maps show it.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 13, 2015, 07:49:04 AM
In a perfect world, Keystone ave would be I-270.  Anyway, Google needs to have different colors to differentiate expressways and interstates (ex. 465 should be a different color than keystone).

Areed... LIMITED ACCESS FREEWAYS that are completely grade separated should be indicated in a unique color to differentiate them from LIMITED ACCESS EXPRESSWAYS which allow at-grade intersections. Thomas Bros, Rand McNasty, Gousha maps, and AAA maps had a very good way of differentiating the two. Google should follow suit
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

billtm

QuoteRand McNasty

Why the hate? :confused:

nwi_navigator_1181

I can confirm that crews are (finally) working to replace the long shuttered ramp connecting the westbound Toll Road to I-80/94 in Lake Station. The old, battered twin piers that formed the old bridge has been torn down and replaced with modern day single piers. Beams and other material should be coming soon. As mentioned earlier, that ramp and the ramp connecting the Borman to the westbound Toll Road should be completely refurbished by the fall.

Of note: the VMS on I-94 westbound between exits 22 and 19 (U.S. 20 and Indiana 249) has been taken down due to damage from a lost semi load. No word on when it will be replaced.

silverback1065

does SR 56 still exist between US 421 and SR 62 near madison?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 30, 2015, 12:20:03 PM
does SR 56 still exist between US 421 and SR 62 near madison?

I haven't been over to Madison in a while, but I haven't heard anything about that stretch of road being turned over to county/city control. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

I thought I remember hearing that they did want to return SR 56 through Madison to local control but I can't say when or if that would happen. The plan I thought was to reroute 56 along SR 62 and then US 421 around the city, but I suppose they could always just split that highway up at its western and eastern ends. I haven't been there for some time and can't visibly confirm anything.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 30, 2015, 01:34:50 PM
I thought I remember hearing that they did want to return SR 56 through Madison to local control but I can't say when or if that would happen. The plan I thought was to reroute 56 along SR 62 and then US 421 around the city, but I suppose they could always just split that highway up at its western and eastern ends. I haven't been there for some time and can't visibly confirm anything.

I heard the same thing.  Can anyone confirm that his has happened?

US 41

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 08, 2015, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: billtm on April 07, 2015, 09:58:19 PM
Just did a little more research. On Indiana Hwy. Ends, the signage is still there at 2005. But, on street view the signage seems to be gone by 2009. The road is probably decommissioned. So now my question is: What's INDOT's policy with roads to military locations? Is there one? And if there is one, does it say that they need state road access? I know Crane has 645 or 558 serving it. 

Fort Harrison was never directly connected to a signed highway, so I doubt there is an INDOT policy regarding that.

Indiana 342 used to connect SR 42 to the military base at the Terre Haute Int'l Airport. I've never read anything official, but the signs no longer exist on the short 1/2 mile state highway, so maybe it's just unsigned now because they didn't want random cars driving down it or maybe it was decommissioned.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 30, 2015, 01:34:50 PM

I thought the deal was that INDOT would rebuild the US 421 approach to the Madison-Milton bridge in exchange for the turnover of SR 56 to the city. AFAIK, that new approach hasn't been built.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.