News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: Indyroads on April 14, 2015, 04:58:29 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 13, 2015, 07:49:04 AM
In a perfect world, Keystone ave would be I-270.  Anyway, Google needs to have different colors to differentiate expressways and interstates (ex. 465 should be a different color than keystone).

Areed... LIMITED ACCESS FREEWAYS that are completely grade separated should be indicated in a unique color to differentiate them from LIMITED ACCESS EXPRESSWAYS which allow at-grade intersections. Thomas Bros, Rand McNasty, Gousha maps, and AAA maps had a very good way of differentiating the two. Google should follow suit

Don't forget better distinctions between free and toll roads as well.

Revive 755

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 13, 2015, 07:49:04 AM
In a perfect world, Keystone ave would be I-270.  Anyway, Google needs to have different colors to differentiate expressways and interstates (ex. 465 should be a different color than keystone).

I would have thought it would be a better I-x69, as in a more perfect world from my point of view I-69 would been constructed to the northern split of I-65 and I-70. :spin:

Revive 755

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AM
Flashing yellow arrows will be coming to Northwest Indiana. U.S. 6 and U.S. 30 are the two highways that will be the first to have them. Nine intersections collectively along those routes will be modernized with the new signal system, beginning with U.S. 30 and Fountain Park Drive in Schererville on March 30.

Interesting how the 'Left Turn Yield on Flashing Yellow Arrow' signs next to the FYA heads on US 30 and US 6 are around 48" tall - they are at least as long as the four section FYA head.  Seems most other states use smaller signs.

The FYA signals on US 6 also have a noticeable delay between adjoining through traffic getting a green and the red arrow changing to a FYA.

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AMIndiana 51 in Hobart

This one did not get them, I don't know why it didn't since all four legs only have single left turn lanes with no offset issues.  There are also a couple other intersections on US 6 that are still protected only that seem like good FYA candidates.

I'm guessing INDOT doesn't like using three section FYA heads for permitted only turns, given that they weren't used on US 6 through Portage.

Also interesting that there are a bunch of other intersections in NW Indiana that have been modified to include red arrows and retroreflective backplates, but no FYAs.

silverback1065

I just saw one on 146th st at spring mill rd.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 10, 2015, 12:12:06 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AM
Flashing yellow arrows will be coming to Northwest Indiana. U.S. 6 and U.S. 30 are the two highways that will be the first to have them. Nine intersections collectively along those routes will be modernized with the new signal system, beginning with U.S. 30 and Fountain Park Drive in Schererville on March 30.

Interesting how the 'Left Turn Yield on Flashing Yellow Arrow' signs next to the FYA heads on US 30 and US 6 are around 48" tall - they are at least as long as the four section FYA head.  Seems most other states use smaller signs.

The FYA signals on US 6 also have a noticeable delay between adjoining through traffic getting a green and the red arrow changing to a FYA.

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2015, 12:12:32 AMIndiana 51 in Hobart

This one did not get them, I don't know why it didn't since all four legs only have single left turn lanes with no offset issues.  There are also a couple other intersections on US 6 that are still protected only that seem like good FYA candidates.

I'm guessing INDOT doesn't like using three section FYA heads for permitted only turns, given that they weren't used on US 6 through Portage.

Also interesting that there are a bunch of other intersections in NW Indiana that have been modified to include red arrows and retroreflective backplates, but no FYAs.

I actually like the timed delay between through-traffic green and the FYA. It's a subtle way of telling left turn drivers new to this process that oncoming traffic still has the right of way. From what I've seen, drivers seem to have an idea on how it works. Even though not all intersections have the FYA (more on that in a bit), it's good that INDOT is implementing a uniform traffic light design that translates from intersection to intersection.

I am surprised that the Indiana 51 intersection didn't get the FYA. The traffic volumes justified the need for one, and it would greatly benefit the south-to-east left turn at that particular light. County Line Road could have used it too, since traffic is light (no pun intended) at that intersection, even at peak.

Willowcreek Road, however, should have stayed with the protected arrow system, though the light cycle there is considerably shorter than what it used to be.

Quick note: the Toll Road exit to I-80/94 westbound is shaping up nicely, since crews have decided it's the more important of the two ramps needing to reopen. I say that ramp should be ready by mid-summer.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

nwi_navigator_1181

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" will officially become law July 1. Those refusing to relinquish the left lane for passing traffic will be faced with a fine up to $500.

There are provisions written into this law, saying that the lane restrictions won't apply to inclement weather, left lane exits, moving over for emergency vehicles, or special construction rules.

silverback1065

Does anyone know the official routing of SR 22 now?  I know a piece through kokomo was handed over, I drove 931 today and it isn't signed anymore there.  It sounds like it begins cosigned with US 35 at the new bypass and goes east toward upland.  But does the piece from 421 to just outside Kokomo still exist as SR 22?  22 is completely useless as a state road now, just get rid of it and resign the piece east of I-69 as SR 105 and the part south of 5 as an extension of SR 5.

tdindy88

The stretch from 421 to Kokomo should still exist but yes the route is completely worthless, probably been that way since US 35 was routed along that.

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 25, 2015, 01:18:07 AM
Does anyone know the official routing of SR 22 now?  I know a piece through kokomo was handed over, I drove 931 today and it isn't signed anymore there.  It sounds like it begins cosigned with US 35 at the new bypass and goes east toward upland.  But does the piece from 421 to just outside Kokomo still exist as SR 22?  22 is completely useless as a state road now, just get rid of it and resign the piece east of I-69 as SR 105 and the part south of 5 as an extension of SR 5.

The eastern part does supposedly go from the US 31 bypass to Upland, but the "begin" sign is actually about .75 miles east just past the Kokomo city limits. Presumably, the western part goes from SR 29 to the Kokomo city limits (I think that is Malfafa Rd.).

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 25, 2015, 02:52:42 AM
The stretch from 421 to Kokomo should still exist but yes the route is completely worthless, probably been that way since US 35 was routed along that.

Personally, I think US 35 is the number that should go - it is either overlapped or superceded state road numbers (like SR 17, SR 21 and SR 29). For SR 22, there always have been the parts from SR 29 to US 31 and from I-69 to Upland which never were designated as US 35. Still, when you have a long est-west highway marked only as a north-south highway, that is not good so I would guess that keeping an est-west number was kept on purpose.

Also, SR 22 used to go all the way to the Ohio line and the old maps show what is now SR 352 as SR 22. That eastern part was decommissioned, but SR 22 would be a better designation than SR 352 for the latter.

silverback1065

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/05/16/travel-nightmare-coming-soon/27453447/

good to see them widening 65 again, just think it's weird to do this small piece, now there's a gap from SR 32 to SR 38 that will be 4 lanes for the foreseeable future. The detours they provide are much harder to follow now that INDOT messed up all the highway routings up there in 2013. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on May 25, 2015, 08:32:23 AM

The eastern part does supposedly go from the US 31 bypass to Upland, but the "begin" sign is actually about .75 miles east just past the Kokomo city limits. Presumably, the western part goes from SR 29 to the Kokomo city limits (I think that is Malfafa Rd.).

Personally, I think US 35 is the number that should go - it is either overlapped or superceded state road numbers (like SR 17, SR 21 and SR 29). For SR 22, there always have been the parts from SR 29 to US 31 and from I-69 to Upland which never were designated as US 35. Still, when you have a long est-west highway marked only as a north-south highway, that is not good so I would guess that keeping an est-west number was kept on purpose.

Also, SR 22 used to go all the way to the Ohio line and the old maps show what is now SR 352 as SR 22. That eastern part was decommissioned, but SR 22 would be a better designation than SR 352 for the latter.

Since INDOT got on their kick about giving up highways through cities, we've gotten situations like this all over the state.  INDOT has to sign the roads they own as state highways.  They can't/won't sign the roads they don't own as state highways.  When you have what used to be a through highway like 22 that has the city portion no longer owned by INDOT, you end up with routing issues.

Sometimes you can do some weird reroutes like they did in Lafayette, but in Kokomo there is no other state highway to reroute to from the east side.  I'm guessing Howard County doesn't want to take over their part of 22, so you're just stuck with 22 ending at the city limits on each end with no signage directing you from one end to the other.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2015, 08:33:55 AM
Quote from: mukade on May 25, 2015, 08:32:23 AM

Since INDOT got on their kick about giving up highways through cities, we've gotten situations like this all over the state.  INDOT has to sign the roads they own as state highways.  They can't/won't sign the roads they don't own as state highways.  When you have what used to be a through highway like 22 that has the city portion no longer owned by INDOT, you end up with routing issues.

Sometimes you can do some weird reroutes like they did in Lafayette, but in Kokomo there is no other state highway to reroute to from the east side.  I'm guessing Howard County doesn't want to take over their part of 22, so you're just stuck with 22 ending at the city limits on each end with no signage directing you from one end to the other.
Clearly indot doesn't care about continuity. I wonder if they'll ever get kokomo to take 931.

mukade

I'm guessing Howard County doesn't want to take over their part of 22, so you're just stuck with 22 ending at the city limits on each end with no signage directing you from one end to the other.

I don't think the state wants to turn back the part of SR 22 west of Kokomo. They want to get rid of city streets. The first really weird one I remember was SR 61 which ended at the city limits in Vincennes over ten years ago. So this in't really new - it is just getting to be more common.

The funny thing is that SR 22 seems to end at the city limits on both sides (if you go by sign placement), but US 35 continues to the US 31 freeway.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on May 26, 2015, 08:41:23 PM
I'm guessing Howard County doesn't want to take over their part of 22, so you're just stuck with 22 ending at the city limits on each end with no signage directing you from one end to the other.

I don't think the state wants to turn back the part of SR 22 west of Kokomo. They want to get rid of city streets. The first really weird one I remember was SR 61 which ended at the city limits in Vincennes over ten years ago. So this in't really new - it is just getting to be more common.

The funny thing is that SR 22 seems to end at the city limits on both sides (if you go by sign placement), but US 35 continues to the US 31 freeway.
I wish indot would at least work out a deal where they could post "to Indiana 22" directional signs over the old route

dfwmapper

Quote from: mukade on May 26, 2015, 08:41:23 PM
INDOT is only allowed to fuck up its own road network. AASHTO has control over US routes and generally won't let states make them discontinuous. Determining why the state can't delegate ownership and maintenance of roads that carry US routes to a city/county is left as an exercise to those more familiar with Indiana law.

nwi_navigator_1181

Bridge work has picked up again on I-94, at the U.S. 20 interchange at Burns Harbor and Porter (exits 22a-b) and just west of Indiana 49. Because of work at the U.S. 20 interchange, the loop ramps (I-94 east to U.S. 20 east and I-94 west to U.S. 20 west) are closed. The "opposite direction" ramps have been modified to allow traffic looking to make the closed loop movements to instead turn left at temporarily placed traffic signals.

Broadway is the newest road in the region to have flashing yellow left arrows installed at some intersections. As I drove by yesterday, crews were installing a set at 80th Place (the light just north of U.S. 30). That is all I saw, but I'm sure there are more installed between U.S. and U.S. 231, with more to be installed up to at least 61st Avenue.

silverback1065

I'm surprised indot hasnt tried to kill SR 53 altogether, they're obsessed with getting rid of highways in cities. On an unrelated note, what's going on with the Salem bypass? Is it signed as anything? Did they move 135 or 60 on it? Why is there a bridge over SR 160? Now it looks like it ends at a city street. Why doesn't the bypass tie into 135 on the north side?

jnewkirk77

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 15, 2015, 02:53:08 PM
I'm surprised indot hasnt tried to kill SR 53 altogether, they're obsessed with getting rid of highways in cities. On an unrelated note, what's going on with the Salem bypass? Is it signed as anything? Did they move 135 or 60 on it? Why is there a bridge over SR 160? Now it looks like it ends at a city street. Why doesn't the bypass tie into 135 on the north side?

As of the last time I was up that way, the Salem Bypass is signed as 135 over its full length, and picks up 60 on the SE side of town - so those are co-signed up to 56.  They then follow 56 west into town.  I don't think that's changed recently ...

silverback1065

theline

I-94 to westbound Toll Road entry ramp to re-open
QuoteLAKE STATION, Ind. — Beginning 9 p.m. CST Friday, June 26, the westbound entry ramp at the Lake Station (Exit 21) interchange on the Indiana Toll Road will be re-opened ahead of schedule after a nearly three-month closure. The ramp connects both directions of traffic from I-80/94 traveling to westbound Indiana Toll Road.

The ramp work was part of the ongoing Lake Station rehabilitation project that began in October 2013, and will rebuild three structures in the interchange: BHX-A, BHX-B and 5262B. The structure that re-opens tonight is Structure BHX-A (see attached map for clarification). The ramp has been closed since March 30, 2015, for demolition and reconstruction.

Although the I-94 to westbound Indiana Toll Road ramp will open, the previous Lake Station exit restriction remains in place (ramp closed to westbound Indiana Toll Road traffic exiting at MP 21 (to go either direction on I-94). This traffic is still diverted to Exit 17, Gary East. At Gary East, patrons are to take I-65 South and re-connect with I-94. Exit 17 remains a free exit, just as Exit 21.)

The entire process is expected to be completed in early fall 2015. Upon completion, the interchange will function as it did prior to the project. No permanent removal of any structure is planned.

Lake Station reconstruction summary:
(see attached map for locations)

-   Structure BHX-B: Demolished in October 2013. BHX-B remains closed, with reconstruction currently in progress. Anticipated completion in fall 2015.
-   Structure 5262B: Reconstruction began in June 2014 and completed in November 2014.
-   Structure BHX-A: Demolished in April 2015. Reconstruction completed June 26, 2015.
-   Indiana Toll Road entering/exiting eastbound traffic is not impacted.

Here's the map:

mukade

QuoteINDOT officials say they're working on a cost effective way to keep more drivers safe. INDOT crews identified seven interstate ramps in the Indianapolis area with a history of more crash issues, especially crashes involving semi trucks...

INDOT tracks interstate ramps with most crashes (Fox59)

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on June 30, 2015, 07:35:12 PM
QuoteINDOT officials say they're working on a cost effective way to keep more drivers safe. INDOT crews identified seven interstate ramps in the Indianapolis area with a history of more crash issues, especially crashes involving semi trucks...

INDOT tracks interstate ramps with most crashes (Fox59)

The i-865/US 52 exit is a deathtrap. semis routinely have to floor it to make it from 86th st all the way to the fast lane to get onto 865/52.  This also backs up very bad every fucking day during both rush hours.  INDOT fix it by adding lanes, make it an exit from the right and be done with it.  It should be at very least 8 lanes entering the exit in either direction with 2 turning into the on/off ramps in either direction, like the 65 interchange on the west side.  865/52 should remain 4 lanes.  This area is only going to grow with Whitestown and Zionsville growing.  Michigan road needs longer merging lanes as well as it has issues too.  of course they're too cheap to do this

nwi_navigator_1181

Taking a page from IDOT, INDOT will use most of its DMS to display travel times to specific points along the highways (barring major events like accidents or Amber Alerts). Already implemented in the Indianapolis and Jeffersonville areas, Northwest Indiana will be part of the system starting this holiday weekend for highways that don't already have dedicated travel time signs installed.

One DMS with travel time information will be on I-80/94 eastbound at mile 12 (at the merge from I-65) with travel times to Indiana 49 (exit 26), U.S. 421 (exit 34), and the Michigan state line (approximately mile 46)

The other in this region will be on I-65 southbound just before the 61st Avenue exit, displaying travel times to Indiana 2 (exit 240), Indiana 26 (exit 172), and I-865 (exit 129).

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 01, 2015, 11:10:25 PM
Taking a page from IDOT, INDOT will use most of its DMS to display travel times to specific points along the highways (barring major events like accidents or Amber Alerts). Already implemented in the Indianapolis and Jeffersonville areas, Northwest Indiana will be part of the system starting this holiday weekend for highways that don't already have dedicated travel time signs installed.

One DMS with travel time information will be on I-80/94 eastbound at mile 12 (at the merge from I-65) with travel times to Indiana 49 (exit 26), U.S. 421 (exit 34), and the Michigan state line (approximately mile 46)

The other in this region will be on I-65 southbound just before the 61st Avenue exit, displaying travel times to Indiana 2 (exit 240), Indiana 26 (exit 172), and I-865 (exit 129).
I saw these on i-70 by the airport Tuesday

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 01, 2015, 11:10:25 PM

Never once have I seen a travel time listed on a DMS anywhere near here.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.