News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysuindy

Looks like the Smart Streets project will push me to try some different approaches to and from Notre Dame on football Saturdays. 

I often end up weaving my way over to Miami Street after the game to avoid the traffic through downtown, but I've always gone straight up Michigan before the game.    The first few gamedays with new two way traffic should be a total cluster.  I'm guessing the gains I've made in reducing travel time with the upgrades to 31 are going to be given back inside South Bend.

cjw2001

Quote from: US 41 on February 07, 2016, 06:46:43 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on February 07, 2016, 03:50:21 PM
Quote from: US 41 on February 06, 2016, 09:12:15 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on February 06, 2016, 08:53:23 AM
I believe it is extended east to the new US 31. The highway sign at the exit there does say SR 4, not TO SR 4.

You're probably right. On Google Maps it shows SR 4 ending at SR 931 (Old 31).

I've extended SR 4 on Google Maps over to the new US 31.   May take a day for the changes to show up.

Off topic a little, but do you need an account to update Google Maps?

Go to http://www.google.com/mapmaker and signin with your google account.  Read the help topics to learn the basics before making edits.  Your edits will need approval to be published.   Over time as you demonstrate a history of good edits your trust level will grow and you can make more changes without waiting on approvals.  Most edits are reviewed by Regional Leads which are other users with a history of good edits that have been chosen by Google to work as moderators.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ysuindy on February 07, 2016, 09:27:32 PM
Looks like the Smart Streets project will push me to try some different approaches to and from Notre Dame on football Saturdays. 

I often end up weaving my way over to Miami Street after the game to avoid the traffic through downtown, but I've always gone straight up Michigan before the game.    The first few gamedays with new two way traffic should be a total cluster.  I'm guessing the gains I've made in reducing travel time with the upgrades to 31 are going to be given back inside South Bend.

Even before the changes, best way to beat Gameday traffic is to turn right off Michigan at Ireland.  Take Ireland to Miami and turn left.  Take Miami to Ridgeland and turn right, and then an immediate left onto Twyckenham.  Twyckenham is always the least crowded N-S street that gets you close to campus. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

theline

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2016, 09:40:14 AM

Even before the changes, best way to beat Gameday traffic is to turn right off Michigan at Ireland.  Take Ireland to Miami and turn left.  Take Miami to Ridgeland Ridgedale and turn right, and then an immediate left onto Twyckenham.  Twyckenham is always the least crowded N-S street that gets you close to campus.
FIFY. As a South Bend resident. I agree that that's a good route. Just don't speed through the neighborhood, please.

ysuindy

Quote from: theline on February 08, 2016, 01:58:02 PM

Even before the changes, best way to beat Gameday traffic is to turn right off Michigan at Ireland.  Take Ireland to Miami and turn left.  Take Miami to Ridgeland Ridgedale and turn right, and then an immediate left onto Twyckenham.  Twyckenham is always the least crowded N-S street that gets you close to campus.
FIFY. As a South Bend resident. I agree that that's a good route. Just don't speed through the neighborhood, please.

I'm usually early enough before the games and parking in the neighborhood south of campus, that going up Michigan has not been an issue.

My departure route this last year became working my way down to Northside, across the Eddy Street bridge and over to Miami.  Your suggested route has given me another departure option.  I will need to check that out in a few weeks when I am back on campus.

I know they convert several streets near campus to one way on gamedays.  I suppose they could do something similar downtown, but that would take some significant police manpower to accomplish.  It will be interesting to see what guidance South Bend PD and Notre Dame provide prior to the first game.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ysuindy on February 08, 2016, 03:28:09 PM
Quote from: theline on February 08, 2016, 01:58:02 PM

I'm usually early enough before the games and parking in the neighborhood south of campus, that going up Michigan has not been an issue.

My departure route this last year became working my way down to Northside, across the Eddy Street bridge and over to Miami.  Your suggested route has given me another departure option.  I will need to check that out in a few weeks when I am back on campus.

I know they convert several streets near campus to one way on gamedays.  I suppose they could do something similar downtown, but that would take some significant police manpower to accomplish.  It will be interesting to see what guidance South Bend PD and Notre Dame provide prior to the first game.

Ha, yeah I used to live near a Ridgleand Ave in another city so that's why I got that mixed up.

Northside is excellent for getting yourself from one side of Eddy St to the other.  If I'm ever parked west of Eddy, I'll work my way down to Northside and then over to Twyckenham (though Northside passes under Twyckenham so you have to cut over through a neighborhood.

I've never, ever run into traffic problems going that way to leave the stadium. 

tdindy88

I was looking up signage plans for the new interchange at I-69 and 106th Street (Exit 204) and was in for a surprise. In addition to the typical signs for the future exit it appears that traffic getting off for Exit 205 (116th St and SR 37) will exit off right at 106th Street with a solid white line separating traffic from the exit lanes and mainline I-69, a white line that I'm sure no one will ever cross. Traffic heading north off of 106th Street with an intent of heading up to I-69 north will be directed onto the current C/D setup with Exit 205, returning to I-69 at the gore point for SR 37 north and I-69 north of 116th Street. I hope that makes sense.

Back to the signs, the contract includes adding new interchange sequence signs to be installed on butterfly-style supports in the median of the highway from just north of 82nd Street up past Exit 210 (old SR 238.) Signs like these are around in parts of Indiana but this is the first time I've seen them added like this. Below is an example of such signage along with one of the Exit 204 signs:

nwi_navigator_1181

A map of the upcoming I-65 Lane Expansion was recently made available on INDOT's website, and gives more details about what's to happen.

The lane addition from U.S. 30 to U.S. 231 will be performed on the outer shoulders, and will move to the inner shoulders for the remainder of the stretch.

Speaking of which, the map reveals that the work zone has been stretched to Indiana 10, tying into recent bridge work performed just south of the Kankakee River last year.

Four construction companies are competing for the contract, and work is on schedule to begin next year.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

adt1982

silverback1065

Quote from: adt1982 on February 23, 2016, 03:48:07 PM
What's that?  Another bridge problem in Indiana?

http://wthitv.com/2016/02/23/one-westbound-lane-of-i-70-over-u-s-41-to-remain-closed-until-bridge-repaired/

More reason to get some sort of funding bill passed that actually addresses the problem of our shitty roads. 

Super Mateo

Quote from: cjw2001 on February 07, 2016, 09:33:05 PM
I believe it is extended east to the new US 31. The highway sign at the exit there does say SR 4, not TO SR 4.

I've extended SR 4 on Google Maps over to the new US 31.   May take a day for the changes to show up.

Go to http://www.google.com/mapmaker and signin with your google account.  Read the help topics to learn the basics before making edits.  Your edits will need approval to be published.   Over time as you demonstrate a history of good edits your trust level will grow and you can make more changes without waiting on approvals.  Most edits are reviewed by Regional Leads which are other users with a history of good edits that have been chosen by Google to work as moderators.

I've tried to fix the routing of US 52 in Lafayette, but the changes kept getting rejected.  So it's just going to stay wrong on the map until someone else fixes it.

That's not to say that US 52's routing makes any sense, anyway.  US 52 now makes several turns, but enters and exits the area on the same road.  There shouldn't be any turns at all.  Nothing related to roads makes any sense in Indiana.

silverback1065

Quote from: Super Mateo on February 23, 2016, 04:34:36 PM

I've tried to fix the routing of US 52 in Lafayette, but the changes kept getting rejected.  So it's just going to stay wrong on the map until someone else fixes it.

That's not to say that US 52's routing makes any sense, anyway.  US 52 now makes several turns, but enters and exits the area on the same road.  There shouldn't be any turns at all.  Nothing related to roads makes any sense in Indiana.

one of the regional mods says it's near impossible to fix for some reason, I also don't know why it keeps changing color all the time from yellow to white.

silverback1065

What happened to Chicago Ave (Old SR 312) in Gary?  There's a gap in it between SR 912 and Old US 12, is it permanent?

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 23, 2016, 03:52:35 PM
Quote from: adt1982 on February 23, 2016, 03:48:07 PM
What's that?  Another bridge problem in Indiana?

http://wthitv.com/2016/02/23/one-westbound-lane-of-i-70-over-u-s-41-to-remain-closed-until-bridge-repaired/

More reason to get some sort of funding bill passed that actually addresses the problem of our shitty roads.

I could have sworn they just did work on the I-70 bridges in Terre Haute a year or two ago.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mhking

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 29, 2016, 03:24:02 PM
What happened to Chicago Ave (Old SR 312) in Gary?  There's a gap in it between SR 912 and Old US 12, is it permanent?

Unless I miss my guess, they're probably truncating it at Cline Avenue permanently. Chicago Avenue dead-ends at Old 12 (I think they're calling it Airport Road now instead of Industrial Hwy), and with 12 multiplexing with 912 down to 20, my guess is that since 312 used to end at old 12, they're just ending it at Cline Avenue instead of going all the way over to old 12.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 23, 2016, 04:37:14 PM

one of the regional mods says it's near impossible to fix for some reason, I also don't know why it keeps changing color all the time from yellow to white.

I can't believe that Google is making mistakes on the maps!  It's so annoying that I have to look at the map again and again!
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/Smileys/default/pan.gif.  Also, why is INDOT keeping on eliminating some routes within the city limits?

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 29, 2016, 08:48:30 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 23, 2016, 04:37:14 PM

I can't believe that Google is making mistakes on the maps!  It's so annoying that I have to look at the map again and again!
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/Smileys/default/pan.gif.  Also, why is INDOT keeping on eliminating some routes within the city limits?

City streets are expensive to maintain, and indot probably hates dealing with cities when they want them to make changes.  I think that every city should have a few state roads in them, but some are completely useless, ohio has a lot of these.

NWI_Irish96

Hmm.  Didn't know US 12 had been re-routed.  I guess I need to make a side trip next time I go to Chicago to re-clinch US 12. 

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 01, 2016, 08:27:33 AM
Hmm.  Didn't know US 12 had been re-routed.  I guess I need to make a side trip next time I go to Chicago to re-clinch US 12.

Yes, it now follows us 20 to SR 912 then takes 912 to Columbus dr where it goes back to its old alignment.  I think it was rerouted because Gary wanted to do something with the airport over there.  I don't think it's signed on 912 though, just at the ends.  For some reason they replaced the bgs at colombus dr but never added the us 12 shield: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6367688,-87.4344826,3a,75y,105.75h,80.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smhZ3GB5HSJ0IDDpebr93pQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

it's actually not signed very well from both ends anymore.

mgk920

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 01, 2016, 08:31:34 AM

Yes, it now follows us 20 to SR 912 then takes 912 to Columbus dr where it goes back to its old alignment.  I think it was rerouted because Gary wanted to do something with the airport over there.  I don't think it's signed on 912 though, just at the ends.  For some reason they replaced the bgs at colombus dr but never added the us 12 shield: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6367688,-87.4344826,3a,75y,105.75h,80.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smhZ3GB5HSJ0IDDpebr93pQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Flipping that image to air photo, it is very clear that the closure is permanent - the airport's runway is being extended northwestward and a railroad was relocated to make room, requiring that the road no longer be there.

Mike

silverback1065

it's interesting that they didn't add a RR Xing, I guess traffic counts didn't justify keeping it open.  I wonder how recent this was.  Side note, was this airport ever picked to be Chicago's 3rd airport?  Or was it 5th?  I don't remember the actual number, but I remember Chicago thinking of adding a smaller airport to use as a relief airport. 

seicer

3rd - it has no scheduled service, which is allowing it to pursue the runway expansion. Good timing as it needed it (and terminal improvements).

nwi_navigator_1181

You are right in that rerouting US 12 would help with runway expansion with minimal traffic disruption. In actuality though, the reroute was in place since 2005, and this was well before runway expansion entered the stage when it was ready to become public news. A little backstory...

A project was in place for a full rebuild of a bridge on what was then US 12 just west of Bridge Street. The project was to take place for a full year (the closure actually began in fall of 2004), and for a brief moment, the detour called for traffic to follow Bridge Street (where US 20 used to split from US 12) and take it to Cline Avenue North to Columbus Drive. As the project progressed, INDOT and Gary saw it better to make the detour the permanent routing for US 12.

You have to pay extra special attention to follow US 12, as they didn't notify drivers of the reroute with BGSes (at Cline Avenue), but rather standard guidance signs.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 02, 2016, 01:23:40 PM

You are right in that rerouting US 12 would help with runway expansion with minimal traffic disruption. In actuality though, the reroute was in place since 2005, and this was well before runway expansion entered the stage when it was ready to become public news. A little backstory...

A project was in place for a full rebuild of a bridge on what was then US 12 just west of Bridge Street. The project was to take place for a full year (the closure actually began in fall of 2004), and for a brief moment, the detour called for traffic to follow Bridge Street (where US 20 used to split from US 12) and take it to Cline Avenue North to Columbus Drive. As the project progressed, INDOT and Gary saw it better to make the detour the permanent routing for US 12.

You have to pay extra special attention to follow US 12, as they didn't notify drivers of the reroute with BGSes (at Cline Avenue), but rather standard guidance signs.

I wouldn't be surprised it US 12 and 20 were cosigned from where they meet just east of 65 all the way to the state line, does us 12 really need to split off at all west of 912?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 02, 2016, 01:27:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised it US 12 and 20 were cosigned from where they meet just east of 65 all the way to the state line, does us 12 really need to split off at all west of 912?

I would guess that East Chicago is not interested in taking over Columbus Dr or Indianapolis Blvd, so they would need to remain separate, or else you'd need to turn one of the two into a state highway if you want to keep 12 and 20 together.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.