News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2016, 01:53:50 PM
I know that there was one in Princeton.  I seem to recall one in Kentland and I thought that there used to be others.  I thought there was one in Evansville at one time as well.  I seem to recall a few BR US 41 routes back in the 90s.

the evansville one was killed when they redid SR 66, it's now signed as "old business 41" which is like saying "old old us 41"

Great Lakes Roads

Construction has started on the replacement of the Indiana 912 bridge that was closed in 2009 and demolished in 2013.  They are also going to build a maintenance building as part of that project. 
Completion date: 2019
Tolls?: Yes (All-Electronic-Tolling)
Contractor: Ross Group from Portage

Article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-cline-project-groundbreaking-st-0527-20160526-story.html

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 29, 2016, 07:36:53 PM
Construction has started on the replacement of the Indiana 912 bridge that was closed in 2009 and demolished in 2013.  They are also going to build a maintenance building as part of that project. 

Article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-cline-project-groundbreaking-st-0527-20160526-story.html

It's about damn time!

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 29, 2016, 07:36:53 PM

Article:
dispensary for the electronic passes?? Why not just have people get a EZ-PASS or I-PASS from the places that give them out now?

cjw2001

Carmel Indiana just announced the timeline for the 30+ new roundabouts, including the new 96th street interchange for Keystone Parkway.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2016/05/30/carmel-releases-timeline-229m-roadwork/84968662/

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 30, 2016, 10:58:20 AM

Carmel Indiana just announced the timeline for the 30+ new roundabouts, including the new 96th street interchange for Keystone Parkway.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2016/05/30/carmel-releases-timeline-229m-roadwork/84968662/

Cannot wait for the keystone interchange.  Looks like the city's dream of having only one traffic light left in the city will actually happen.  Interesting that the first traffic signal in the state was in Carmel, now the roundabout mecca.

cjw2001

I'm at the point where I get annoyed each time I have to sit at one of the few stoplights left in the area.   The more roundabouts the better.  My gas mileage has noticeably improved since the addition of so many roundabout and completion of the US 31 freeway project.

seicer

There goes the whole notion of "roundabouts are a foreign concept" when they are widespread in most states. I wish some cities would adopt more of them. Come up to northeast Ohio, where crazy five and six (and seven and eight) way intersections abound.

billtm

I didn't know they could build 30+ new roundabouts in Carmel! I thought the city is almost maxed out roundabout-wise...
The Keystone & 96th interchange will be amazing though :thumbsup:

jhuntin1

Central Indiana seems to be enamored with alternative highway construction the last few years. From roundabouts to Michigan lefts to diverging diamonds, everything has been put to use it seems.

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on June 04, 2016, 08:31:23 PM
Central Indiana seems to be enamored with alternative highway construction the last few years. From roundabouts to Michigan lefts to diverging diamonds, everything has been put to use it seems.

The reason for this at the state level is that it is now official INDOT policy to investigate alternative intersections first for all new projects.

nwi_navigator_1181

For any of you planning to visit County Line Orchard in late summer/early fall, the following information is very important (also for those who use Indiana 130 to connect from Hobart to Valparaiso).

Starting June 20, the entire intersection of Indiana 130 and County Line Road will be closed to traffic for intersection modernization. Currently a four-way stop buttressed by railroad crossings at the south end (and notorious for heavy delays because of trains and said four-way stop), the intersection will undergo a complete resurface, along with turn lanes and a traffic signal programmed to coincide with all railroad signal activities. The project is scheduled to finish at the end of September.

The official detour (which INDOT says will be enforced for heavy vehicles) calls for drivers to use US 6 (Ridge Road) from Indiana 51 and Indiana 149 to connect to Indiana 130. For anyone heading to northern or eastern Valparaiso, it would be easier to use the Toll Road or US 6 to Indiana 49.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

pianocello

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on June 11, 2016, 02:10:13 PM
For any of you planning to visit County Line Orchard in late summer/early fall, the following information is very important (also for those who use Indiana 130 to connect from Hobart to Valparaiso).

Starting June 20, the entire intersection of Indiana 130 and County Line Road will be closed to traffic for intersection modernization. Currently a four-way stop buttressed by railroad crossings at the south end (and notorious for heavy delays because of trains and said four-way stop), the intersection will undergo a complete resurface, along with turn lanes and a traffic signal programmed to coincide with all railroad signal activities. The project is scheduled to finish at the end of September.

The official detour (which INDOT says will be enforced for heavy vehicles) calls for drivers to use US 6 (Ridge Road) from Indiana 51 and Indiana 149 to connect to Indiana 130. For anyone heading to northern or eastern Valparaiso, it would be easier to use the Toll Road or US 6 to Indiana 49.

:clap: :clap: :clap: That intersection is terrible, I'm glad they're finally doing something about it! Thanks for the info, that's the route I normally take to get between Valpo and I-80/94. Definitely passing it on to others who using that route.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

ssummers72

This project will help the morning and afternoon traffic through the area once it has been completed. The Contractor and the Railroads have been coordinated so that all of the improvements can be completed at once.

Some notable features of the improvements:

1. The addition of a Traffic Signal

2. Upgrades to the railroad signals with interconnects to the traffic signals

3. The addition of Left Turn Lanes at SR-130 and County Line Rd.

4. Improvements to the Vertical Curve South of the railroad tracks on County Line Rd.

5. The closure is for 100 days, this is stipulated in the contract documents

6. This contract has been on the books since 1983

I hope this clarifies some design elements. If you have any other questions please contact me.

Stephan Summers
INDOT PM

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: ssummers72 on June 12, 2016, 09:31:08 AM
This project will help the morning and afternoon traffic through the area once it has been completed. The Contractor and the Railroads have been coordinated so that all of the improvements can be completed at once.

4. Improvements to the Vertical Curve South of the railroad tracks on County Line Rd.

I hope this clarifies some design elements. If you have any other questions please contact me.

Stephan Summers
INDOT PM

Will there be a right turn lane for those going from eastbound Indiana 130 to southbound County Line Road? That may pose a problem when trains roll through that crossing. At least by having that turn lane, that would offset the pressure. Thanks for the details, by the way.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

ssummers72

Stephan Summers
    INDOT PM

Will there be a right turn lane for those going from eastbound Indiana 130 to southbound County Line Road? That may pose a problem when trains roll through that crossing. At least by having that turn lane, that would offset the pressure. Thanks for the details, by the way.

There will be a Right Turn only lane for EB 130 to SB County Line Rd.

If you want to see the plans go to to the following link:

https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/

Then type in contract number: 24643

Then select Plans/Drawing Sets to access plans

bmeiser

I've used this intersection once in my entire life, when a train happened to be crossing.  Took me roughly a half hour to get from this intersection to County Line Orchard.  Glad to hear that improvements are being made!

silverback1065

Random question maybe you guys know the answer to, was the Sam Jones Expressway ever a state road? Did it ever have a number, or a planned number, or even a secret number? (On the books as a number just not signed in the field) I'm almost certain it's just a city street now but I've always wondered this.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 13, 2016, 07:58:25 PM
Random question maybe you guys know the answer to, was the Sam Jones Expressway ever a state road? Did it ever have a number, or a planned number, or even a secret number? (On the books as a number just not signed in the field) I'm almost certain it's just a city street now but I've always wondered this.

I don't remember it ever having a number, nor can I find anything online about a number ever being associated with it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Was it ever a state road?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2016, 10:40:36 AM
Was it ever a state road?

I don't think so, but I can't be 100% certain.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

I would also say no because:
- I haven't seen it marked as anything other than "Airport Expressway" until 2008 when it became "Sam Jones Expressway" when the new midfield terminal opened
- The interchanges are weird and not like anything else INDOT has

It seems like it was the equivalent to the current airport access. Is that maintained by INDOT?

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on June 14, 2016, 07:46:02 PM
- I haven't seen it marked as anything other than "Airport Expressway" until 2008 when it became "Sam Jones Expressway" when the new midfield terminal opened

It seems like it was the equivalent to the current airport access. Is that maintained by INDOT?

I do think the new road is INDOT maintained, it's secret name is something like "colonel wier cook drive" or something like that.

tdindy88

This is my opinion, but honestly I doubt that INDOT has secretly maintained routes, they barely want to have the maintained ones they have. I would guess the Col. Wier Cook Drive roadway is under the Indianapolis Airport Authority's jurisdiction. The blue signs, odd font and Spanish language on the signs sure don't say INDOT to me. When you reach the ramps the signs revert to typical INDOT style, telling me that they likely own the ramps but nothing else past there.

As for the Sam Jones, that has almost certainly always been an Indianapolis roadway.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2016, 08:06:45 PM
Quote from: mukade on June 14, 2016, 07:46:02 PM

I do think the new road is INDOT maintained, it's secret name is something like "colonel wier cook drive" or something like that.

Weir Cook Dr leads from I 70 to the midfield terminal.Since the airport bought up all that property years ago due to noise, I would guess that the Airport Authority maintains it. Also, the IAA also has their own police department that runs the whole sector.

Sam Jones Expressway (née Airport Expressway) I would hazard a guess that it is a city of Indianapolis road. There are no highway numbers that I have seen in almost 30 years of using the road.

When the snow flies, I'll let you know who does the plowing! 😫

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.