News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

SR 37 is being surveyed for the upcoming roundabout project. It's going to be a while before construction starts, this is survey for the design.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 13, 2016, 07:58:25 PM
Random question maybe you guys know the answer to, was the Sam Jones Expressway ever a state road? Did it ever have a number, or a planned number, or even a secret number? (On the books as a number just not signed in the field) I'm almost certain it's just a city street now but I've always wondered this.
It's a city of Indianapolis street.

westerninterloper

Quote from: cjw2001 on June 15, 2016, 08:37:00 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 13, 2016, 07:58:25 PM
Random question maybe you guys know the answer to, was the Sam Jones Expressway ever a state road? Did it ever have a number, or a planned number, or even a secret number? (On the books as a number just not signed in the field) I'm almost certain it's just a city street now but I've always wondered this.
It's a city of Indianapolis street.

I think it's always been a local road - it was the Airport Expressway before the new terminal opened, and I don't recall ever seeing a state or federal road designation for it.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

captkirk_4

I really think I-865 needs to be extended eastwards to meet I-74 for traffic transitioning to and from I-70. It is currently a really long way around Indianapolis for I-74 traffic. The shortest route is Indiana 32 from Crawfordsville to Lebanon, then the shorter northern loop around. I took that last month but of course got stuck in a "funeral procession" on the two lane Indiana 32 with about 15 cars delayed by some senile old coot who wanted to drive 50 mph and didn't bother to pull off the dang road and let all the people who were competent to drive cars pass. When you see all these vehicles behind you have a clue, get off the darn road and let the big boys by.

silverback1065

Quote from: captkirk_4 on June 23, 2016, 10:38:04 AM
I really think I-865 needs to be extended eastwards to meet I-74 for traffic transitioning to and from I-70. It is currently a really long way around Indianapolis for I-74 traffic. The shortest route is Indiana 32 from Crawfordsville to Lebanon, then the shorter northern loop around. I took that last month but of course got stuck in a "funeral procession" on the two lane Indiana 32 with about 15 cars delayed by some senile old coot who wanted to drive 50 mph and didn't bother to pull off the dang road and let all the people who were competent to drive cars pass. When you see all these vehicles behind you have a clue, get off the darn road and let the big boys by.

That's an interesting idea, it won't happen due to money and I don't think traffic counts would justify it. They do need to redo the 465/865 52 interchange though.

NWI_Irish96

The route you described is 4 miles longer than just following 74 via 465.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Great Lakes Roads

Starting on July 6th or after, Interstate 65 southbound traffic will see a new traffic pattern in Lafayette. This will require the left lane to travel on the future northbound lane. Access to Exit 175 (Indiana State Road 25) will be maintained via the right lane before the split after the Wabash River bridge.

Article: http://fox59.com/2016/07/05/i-65-added-travel-lanes-project-will-shift-traffic-in-tippecanoe-county/

dvferyance

The only thing I-865 needs is an interchange at Cooper Rd.

nwi_navigator_1181

Just as we got back used to using the Lake Station Toll Road interchange, we will have to go a good portion of the rest of the year without it.

Starting Monday July 11, the east- and westbound exit ramps from the Toll Road to the Borman will be closed for structural repairs, including the bridge over Burns Ditch (but not the bridges that were replaced during previous projects). Access to the Toll Road from the Borman will still be available. This work is scheduled to end mid-November.

Effective TONIGHT, the travel plazas near the Lake Station interchange will be closed for demolition and remodeling until summer 2017. Truck drivers will still be allowed to park for rest at designated areas, but there will be no gas, food, or restrooms available. Eastbound drivers will have to go to the next plaza east of State Route 39 for services, while westbound drivers will have to ride out to Chicago.

Finally, the next set of lane closures for the 80/90 PUSH project will begin tomorrow night, with one set between mileposts 55-62 in LaPorte County and the other set between mileposts 73-83 in the South Bend-Mishawaka area. This phase is to last four weeks.

Long range travelers may want to consider using US 20 to Indiana 331 to get to the Toll Road bound for Ohio (or the reverse if coming westbound).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 05, 2016, 08:37:46 PM
Just as we got back used to using the Lake Station Toll Road interchange, we will have to go a good portion of the rest of the year without it.

Effective TONIGHT, the travel plazas near the Lake Station interchange will be closed for demolition and remodeling until summer 2017. Truck drivers will still be allowed to park for rest at designated areas, but there will be no gas, food, or restrooms available. Eastbound drivers will have to go to the next plaza east of State Route 39 for services, while westbound drivers will have to ride out to Chicago.

Will they rework them to fit direct ramps to the borman down the road?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 06, 2016, 12:14:36 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 05, 2016, 08:37:46 PM

Will they rework them to fit direct ramps to the borman down the road?

There's no indication of any work of that scope to be done to those facilities either during this project or down the road.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 16, 2016, 12:08:05 PM
Quote from: billtm on May 14, 2016, 10:11:55 AM
Quote from: ysuindy on May 12, 2016, 09:23:15 AM
A nice aerial view of the upcoming reroute of US 33 in Goshen in this story

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Ceremony-for-groundbreaking-of-US-33-realignment-project-379155001.html

So why in the world would they put US33/SR15 on Main St. instead of 3rd for the stretch between Pike and Madison St.? 3rd looks like a higher quality road to me. :confused:

My memory may be rusty, but this is how I think it went down: City of Goshen wanted to take control of Main between Pike and Madison.  They upgraded 3rd in the hopes of getting 33 and 15 re-routed over to 3rd.  For some reason they didn't get approval to move 33.  Maybe it was because this project was in the works or something to do with it being a US highway.  Now that the new segment of 33 is being built that will get it off Main, I imagine they'll move 15 over to 3rd. 

So I spent some time in Goshen today.  IN 4 does now end at the city limits instead of downtown.  There are Begin and End signs at the eastern city limits.  Also, 15 and 33 are still on Main St. for now. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

the michigan st conversion is well under construction now, a lot of old business 31 signs are going down. Also, the us 31/20 bypass is in awful shape.

billtm

Eastbound Sagamore Parkway bridge demolished:

http://wlfi.com/2016/07/12/eastbound-sagamore-parkway-bridge-demolished/

This used to be US 52, until INDOT decided to screw up routings in the area, but I believe INDOT still owns the bridge. I'm not sure which, but one of the two bridges has the same design as the I-35(E or W) bridge that collapsed in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

bmeiser

Quote from: billtm on July 13, 2016, 10:10:37 AM
I'm not sure which, but one of the two bridges has the same design as the I-35(E or W) bridge that collapsed in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

It's the one that they demolished.

silverback1065

ya that was a very old bridge.  I'm not sure if ownership will turn over after it's complete though.

billtm

So I decided to look up the bridges and I found something kind of interesting. The one that was demolished was structurally deficient, but the other one (which I presume will also be demolished) was listed as 'functionally obsolete'. According to VirginiaDOT, "Functionally obsolete bridges are those that do not have adequate lane widths, shoulder widths, or vertical clearances to serve current traffic demand, or those that may be occasionally flooded." But what about the other bridge makes it functionally obsolete? It can't be flooded and they won't 3-lane it. :confused:

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on July 13, 2016, 04:54:38 PM
So I decided to look up the bridges and I found something kind of interesting. The one that was demolished was structurally deficient, but the other one (which I presume will also be demolished) was listed as 'functionally obsolete'. According to VirginiaDOT, "Functionally obsolete bridges are those that do not have adequate lane widths, shoulder widths, or vertical clearances to serve current traffic demand, or those that may be occasionally flooded." But what about the other bridge makes it functionally obsolete? It can't be flooded and they won't 3-lane it. :confused:
The other bridge I believe will not be repaired.

jhuntin1

The news article linked above said that they're going to rehabilitate the remaining bridge alongside building a new one.

billtm

Quote from: jhuntin1 on July 13, 2016, 08:42:01 PM
The news article linked above said that they're going to rehabilitate the remaining bridge alongside building a new one.
I was too lazy to read to the end of the article... :pan:.

silverback1065

this isn't really worthy of another thread, so I'll ask it here, does anyone think Lafayette should get a freeway bypass akin to i-469?  Or maybe the same thing but all at grade (so SR X65)?

rawmustard

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 19, 2016, 01:52:58 PM
this isn't really worthy of another thread, so I'll ask it here, does anyone think Lafayette should get a freeway bypass akin to i-469?  Or maybe the same thing but all at grade (so SR X65)?

I don't think there's as much traffic which bypasses Lafayette in the way it bypasses Fort Wayne. The new expressway on the west side seems more than adequate.

Revive 755

Quote from: rawmustard on July 19, 2016, 02:40:43 PMI don't think there's as much traffic which bypasses Lafayette in the way it bypasses Fort Wayne. The new expressway on the west side seems more than adequate.

I disagree:

* The current west side bypass already has too many stoplights.  There's more interchanges on the old US 52 alignment/Sagamore Parkway.

* Lacks a decent connection to/from I-65 on the north

* Appears to lack the ROW for future upgrades if necessary.   Might have made a good canidate for a Texas-style design - starting with frontage roads and a wide median, and upgrading as necessary.

I would certainly be curious how much traffic a high quality connection to I-65 north of Lafayette that provided better access to Purdue would get.  Also, since per Wikipedia the Lafayette area has a decent growth rate, I would eventually expect a four lane connection to I-74 to end up being looked at, which would could also increase traffic on any bypass.

US 41

My (INDOT thinking) solution to Lafayette would be to put US 52 on Veterans Memorial Parkway if they are going to route it over to the new US 231 alignment. Teal Rd in my opinion is hardly worthy enough to be carrying a US highway, plus it has that odd intersection at the bottom of the hill. I'd have SR 38 end at I-65 and have SRs 25 / 26 run concurrent with US 52 (and I-65) to fill the gaps. Then 4 lane US 231 down to Crawfordsville.

Using my personal brain (and not INDOT's) I'd put US 52 back onto Sagamore.  :banghead:
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on July 19, 2016, 07:37:13 PM
My (INDOT thinking) solution to Lafayette would be to put US 52 on Veterans Memorial Parkway if they are going to route it over to the new US 231 alignment. Teal Rd in my opinion is hardly worthy enough to be carrying a US highway, plus it has that odd intersection at the bottom of the hill. I'd have SR 38 end at I-65 and have SRs 25 / 26 run concurrent with US 52 (and I-65) to fill the gaps. Then 4 lane US 231 down to Crawfordsville.

Using my personal brain (and not INDOT's) I'd put US 52 back onto Sagamore.  :banghead:
I completely agree, but to be fair, indot does plan on redoing teal and fixing that bizzare intersection.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.