News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 16, 2017, 12:52:38 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on January 16, 2017, 12:50:25 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 15, 2017, 06:00:48 PM
pretty much every roundabout has been working well. i don't like 116th and keystone though. and 116th and hazel dell next yr is going to be crazy

Same thing was said about Carmel Drive and Range Line -- and every time I've driven through that new roundabout it has been working quite well.

it is working well there, but I've seen what the hazel dell one will look like, it's pretty weird and confusing even for a carmel roundabout.  that intersection gets about the same amount of traffic as rangeline and carmel. It will take some getting used too.

Here in West Lafayette I've heard that they're planning on putting in a new roundabout at the intersection of River Rd., State St., and Brown St. as part of the State Street Project. That one will have to be massive! I almost think that the intersection is too big for a roundabout, but it looks like maybe there isn't such a thing as an intersection being too large for carmelization! :-D

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on January 16, 2017, 05:06:22 PM
pretty much every roundabout has been working well. i don't like 116th and keystone though. and 116th and hazel dell next yr is going to be crazy

Same thing was said about Carmel Drive and Range Line -- and every time I've driven through that new roundabout it has been working quite well.

it is working well there, but I've seen what the hazel dell one will look like, it's pretty weird and confusing even for a carmel roundabout.  that intersection gets about the same amount of traffic as rangeline and carmel. It will take some getting used too.

Here in West Lafayette I've heard that they're planning on putting in a new roundabout at the intersection of River Rd., State St., and Brown St. as part of the State Street Project. That one will have to be massive! I almost think that the intersection is too big for a roundabout, but it looks like maybe there isn't such a thing as an intersection being too large for carmelization! :-D

I was told that that roundabout might not happen due to r/w costs.  But I cannot confirm this.  I guess we'll see.

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 16, 2017, 05:33:47 PM

I was told that that roundabout might not happen due to r/w costs.  But I cannot confirm this.  I guess we'll see.

I decided to do some more research, and the roundabout appears in their long therm vision but not the prss proposal. So I guess the roundabout is not being built? If so I think they made the right call.The only thing from the long term vision that I wish made its way into the prss proposal is the Cherry Lane extension to US 231.

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on January 17, 2017, 09:26:55 AM

I decided to do some more research, and the roundabout appears in their long therm vision but not the prss proposal. So I guess the roundabout is not being built? If so I think they made the right call.The only thing from the long term vision that I wish made its way into the prss proposal is the Cherry Lane extension to US 231.
I believe Purdue is going to do that extension eventually. I think River road from tapawingo to the old 231 exit should be 2 lanes. If they want that area to be PED friendly and slow traffic down (which they keep saying is something they want to do) do a road diet and add the roundabout at state. If it were 2 lanes the roundabout could be added without much or any r/w at all. That road was designed to make you drive much much faster than the posted 30mph. 

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2017, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: billtm on January 17, 2017, 09:26:55 AM

I believe Purdue is going to do that extension eventually. I think River road from tapawingo to the old 231 exit should be 2 lanes. If they want that area to be PED friendly and slow traffic down (which they keep saying is something they want to do) do a road diet and add the roundabout at state. If it were 2 lanes the roundabout could be added without much or any r/w at all. That road was designed to make you drive much much faster than the posted 30mph.
30mph!?  :-D That is funny. The road could definitely handle 45mph speeds. I agree that a road diet seems like a logical change, and if that happens the roundabout at State begins to make a whole lot more sense. But I think that the road diet could be carried up all the way to Robinson. Though I could definitely see arguments going both ways.

monty

Today's Kokomo Tribune ran an article about the prospects of an interchange at Division Road with US 31 near Tipton. Of greater interest to me, INDOT spokesman said they are conducting a study for the next steps of the Indy - South Bend corridor.  Stated that INDOT was studying what were the preferred options to make the corridor "stop free."  The evaluation will recommend what type of highway design - freeway, expressway, etc. is best for the unimproved segments of the corridor.

Study to be performed by CHA Consulting. Results to be released sometime in 2018.
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on January 25, 2017, 08:11:08 PM
Today's Kokomo Tribune ran an article about the prospects of an interchange at Division Road with US 31 near Tipton. Of greater interest to me, INDOT spokesman said they are conducting a study for the next steps of the Indy - South Bend corridor.  Stated that INDOT was studying what were the preferred options to make the corridor "stop free."  The evaluation will recommend what type of highway design - freeway, expressway, etc. is best for the unimproved segments of the corridor.

Study to be performed by CHA Consulting. Results to be released sometime in 2018.

this has a good chance at happening (along with a lot of other projects) if they pass the new road funding measure, the legislature is actually interested in solving the funding issues, which excites me, we need to fix a lot of stuff!  can you post the article you mentioned on here?

JREwing78

Quote from: monty on January 25, 2017, 08:11:08 PM

http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/at-a-crossroads-discussions-start-about-potential-division-road-interchange/article_f86345b4-e284-11e6-8a7f-8b4c6b5f0991.html

silverback1065

i always thought they were going to put an interchange at division rd one day, but the proximity to 28 may make them just want an overpass.  but it seems busy enough to warrant one.

NWI_Irish96

Does this count toward clinching highway segments?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/fox59/2017/01/31/plane-makes-emergency-landing-us-31/97287490/

QuoteHOWARD COUNTY, Ind.— An airplane made an emergency landing Tuesday on U.S. 31 in Howard County, Fox59 reported.
The plane landed in the southbound lanes of U.S. 31, just north of County Road 300 South, around noon. Drivers should avoid the area for the time being.
Police said the pilot took off from Brownsburg and experienced trouble in the air, forcing the landing. The plane was not damaged.
No injuries were reported, according to Howard County EMA Director Janice Hart. Kokomo Police are investigating and the FAA has been called.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 31, 2017, 01:02:27 PM
Does this count toward clinching highway segments?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/fox59/2017/01/31/plane-makes-emergency-landing-us-31/97287490/

QuoteHOWARD COUNTY, Ind.— An airplane made an emergency landing Tuesday on U.S. 31 in Howard County, Fox59 reported.
The plane landed in the southbound lanes of U.S. 31, just north of County Road 300 South, around noon. Drivers should avoid the area for the time being.
Police said the pilot took off from Brownsburg and experienced trouble in the air, forcing the landing. The plane was not damaged.
No injuries were reported, according to Howard County EMA Director Janice Hart. Kokomo Police are investigating and the FAA has been called.

Maybe so, but if I were those people I'd definitely be adding Howard County, Indiana to my list of counties visited  :sombrero:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

silverback1065

sprawl in westfield http://www.ibj.com/articles/62515-henke-hopes-to-land-hotels-eateries-grocery-along-us-31-in-westfield
I'm not really against this, it just makes me hope this doesn't cause more signals to be placed on the non-interstate portion of 31 north of 38.

US 41

Now that SR 641 is finished (besides the interchange at I-70), Emergency Detour 70 now follows SR 46 to SR 59 rather than along US 40.

I was told by city officials a while back that once 641 is finished (which it is now) if any wreck that requires 70 to be shut off happens between Exit 7 and 11 that traffic will be routed south to/on SR 641 and back up to I-70 rather than through downtown Terre Haute.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

paulthemapguy

Quote from: US 41 on February 15, 2017, 11:09:30 AM
Now that SR 641 is finished (besides the interchange at I-70), Emergency Detour 70 now follows SR 46 to SR 59 rather than along US 40.

I was told by city officials a while back that once 641 is finished (which it is now) if any wreck that requires 70 to be shut off happens between Exit 7 and 11 that traffic will be routed south to/on SR 641 and back up to I-70 rather than through downtown Terre Haute.

Awesome.  I hope to get some IN-641 shield photos before the year is done.  Do you have any local insight on where we might find some IN-641 standalone shields?  Or is pretty much everything shown on BGS's?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

silverback1065

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 15, 2017, 12:40:30 PM
Quote from: US 41 on February 15, 2017, 11:09:30 AM

Awesome.  I hope to get some IN-641 shield photos before the year is done.  Do you have any local insight on where we might find some IN-641 standalone shields?  Or is pretty much everything shown on BGS's?

They ought to be after each on ramp.  I hope they used the large size ones and not the small size

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Great Lakes Roads

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 16, 2017, 07:34:22 AM
Intersection overhaul planned for US 20, Ind. 2

Article: http://www.heraldargus.com/news/intersection-overhaul-planned-for-us-ind/article_b3740a66-678a-5a9d-9e44-a7c3cb4eab0c.html?mode=story

it's finally happening.  A friend at INDOT told me a few yrs ago this would happen eventually.

silverback1065

US 20 And SR 2 should swap routes at that intersection.

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 15, 2017, 09:17:07 AM
sprawl in westfield http://www.ibj.com/articles/62515-henke-hopes-to-land-hotels-eateries-grocery-along-us-31-in-westfield
I'm not really against this, it just makes me hope this doesn't cause more signals to be placed on the non-interstate portion of 31 north of 38.

That's at the 191st street exit, so they've got that to fill up with sprawl and the SR 38 exit before you'd see the possibility of more traffic lights north of that.

nwi_navigator_1181

Phase 2 of the 80/90 PUSH Project started over the past weekend (helps when spring arrives early). Lane closures are currently in place between mileposts 20 and 93 (in sections, not the entire 73 mile stretch). Like last year, work consists of resurfacing, bridge refurbishments, and ramp closures. Speaking of which...

The most prominent ramp closures include the Portage Exit (exit 23). The eastbound entrance and westbound exit will be closed to traffic for the next few weeks. Traffic is being directed to I-94 and detoured to Indiana 49 (for those looking to drive eastbound to Ohio. Westbound drivers looking to exit to Willowcreek Road should consider using the exit eight miles before (Indiana 49) and use I-94 to Indiana 249, or head directly to I-94 and double back east to Indiana 249.

I've been told by INDOT that the major widening project on I-65 between US 30 and Indiana 2 will commence on either the first or second week of April, depending on the weather. The concrete restoration project between 61st Avenue and I-80/94 (which was scheduled to finish last year but was suspended due to the tragic construction accident last October) is scheduled to restart about the same time. Enforcement will be heavy and no warnings will be issued. Widening work is scheduled to end in late 2019. The concrete restoration is scheduled to last through the summer.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 16, 2017, 10:26:16 AM
US 20 And SR 2 should swap routes at that intersection.

I guess being the route of the Old Michigan Road is what keeps US 20 where it is, but yes, anybody traveling between SB and MC would normally follow 2 instead of 20 east of their intersection.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Revive 755

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 20, 2017, 09:46:59 PM
I've been told by INDOT that the major widening project on I-65 between US 30 and Indiana 2 will commence on either the first or second week of April, depending on the weather. The concrete restoration project between 61st Avenue and I-80/94 (which was scheduled to finish last year but was suspended due to the tragic construction accident last October) is scheduled to restart about the same time. Enforcement will be heavy and no warnings will be issued. Widening work is scheduled to end in late 2019. The concrete restoration is scheduled to last through the summer.

And INDOT is going to actually post reasonable work zone speed limits for once, or another obnoxiously long 45 mph section where I can gamble for getting a ticket or getting run over?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 21, 2017, 05:17:29 PMAnd INDOT is going to actually post reasonable work zone speed limits for once, or another obnoxiously long 45 mph section where I can gamble for getting a ticket or getting run over?

At least in my area, INDOT has been good with imposing reasonable work zone speed limits based on the area. South of US 30 should see a work speed zone of 55/60 mph. I remember when a 55 mph speed zone was put into place during the "Restore 94" project, since the area is normally 70 mph otherwise.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.