News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhuntin1

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 01, 2017, 03:04:50 PM
the website for the new 465 project is up and has a name "clear path 465"
http://www.in.gov/indot/3654.htm

this basically fixes the daily clusterfuck on the east side.

No real details on the website yet, but I'm betting it will be similar to the other Interstate intersections that INDOT has done on I-465 like I-74 (both west and east) and I-70. The advance BGS's on eastbound I-465 for the I-69 interchange already have 82nd St. covered over at the bottom, so they'll probably build it as a long flyover ramp with a ramp directly for 82nd St. It will be interesting to see how long this takes.

cjw2001

in 2020 - better late than never.  :clap:

cjw2001

Quote from: jhuntin1 on August 01, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

No real details on the website yet, but I'm betting it will be similar to the other Interstate intersections that INDOT has done on I-465 like I-74 (both west and east) and I-70. The advance BGS's on eastbound I-465 for the I-69 interchange already have 82nd St. covered over at the bottom, so they'll probably build it as a long flyover ramp with a ramp directly for 82nd St. It will be interesting to see how long this takes.

Years ago there were plans for that posted on the state web site -- then they got pulled when priorities were rearranged.   Most likely it will be the same setup that was posted at that time.

Found this image from 2009 (thanks Google image search).   The plan at the time was a 3 lane flyover from I465 east to I69 north.  The old loop ramp was going to be saved for traffic going to 82nd.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on August 01, 2017, 10:17:54 PM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on August 01, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

Years ago there were plans for that posted on the state web site -- then they got pulled when priorities were rearranged.   Most likely it will be the same setup that was posted at that time.

Found this image from 2009 (thanks Google image search).   The plan at the time was a 3 lane flyover from I465 east to I69 north.  The old loop ramp was going to be saved for traffic going to 82nd.

that's exactly what will happen.  also 465 will be 8 lanes wide from white river to fall creek!

silverback1065

the nw side portion should be widened in the next decade too, they are going to build new bridges at ditch and township line, they should be longer. 

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 02, 2017, 08:08:36 AM
the nw side portion should be widened in the next decade too, they are going to build new bridges at ditch and township line, they should be longer.

Agreed. That will the the last remaining choke point on 465 after this is completed. The turn should AT LEAST be 3 lanes instead of 2 and if they could somehow get rid of the left exit to 865 and do something to prevent traffic coming from Michigan from needing to instantly cut across lanes to get to 865 or continue on 465, that would be even better.

jhuntin1

Quote from: bmeiser on August 02, 2017, 10:11:28 AM

Agreed. That will the the last remaining choke point on 465 after this is completed. The turn should AT LEAST be 3 lanes instead of 2 and if they could somehow get rid of the left exit to 865 and do something to prevent traffic coming from Michigan from needing to instantly cut across lanes to get to 865 or continue on 465, that would be even better.

Not the last choke point, unfortunately. Something needs to be done on the southwest side between I-70 and Harding St. Traffic has gotten horrible in that stretch in the afternoon, and it will only get worse when I-69 finally makes it up there.

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on August 04, 2017, 04:28:19 AM

Not the last choke point, unfortunately. Something needs to be done on the southwest side between I-70 and Harding St. Traffic has gotten horrible in that stretch in the afternoon, and it will only get worse when I-69 finally makes it up there.

i was just going to ask about the south side, i'm never down there, so i don't know anything about the traffic patterns there.  all the interchanges are the originals though which is surprising, 65 has recently changed, but i believe all the other ones are the same.  what do you think needs to be done to fix that choke point?  they were supposed to redo the 67 interchange, but scrapped it, and i believe the 70 interchange had more flyovers, but was scaled back.  i believe 67 was a parclo.  they need to remove every exit and entrance from the left down there, i can't believe they didn't do this with the 65 interchange project. 

csw

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 04, 2017, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on August 04, 2017, 04:28:19 AM

i was just going to ask about the south side, i'm never down there, so i don't know anything about the traffic patterns there.  all the interchanges are the originals though which is surprising, 65 has recently changed, but i believe all the other ones are the same.  what do you think needs to be done to fix that choke point?  they were supposed to redo the 67 interchange, but scrapped it, and i believe the 70 interchange had more flyovers, but was scaled back.  i believe 67 was a parclo.  they need to remove every exit and entrance from the left down there, i can't believe they didn't do this with the 65 interchange project.
I'm pretty sure the East St interchange is the only one remaining with entrances on the left. If memory serves, the Rockville Rd and 10th St interchanges on the west sides used to be like that. So maybe it's reasonable to expect that if they do update the East St interchange in the future, it will look like the new ones on the west side. Although I'm not too fond of the traffic light system they have going on at Rockville Rd.

silverback1065

65 still has the left exits

tdindy88

I-65 still has the left exits and despite the bridges being rebuilt there this year the left exits look to remain. Now they will be left hand exits with new bridges. The plans for Section 6 of I-69 do show some widening of I-465 at least between Mann Road and East Street to account for the new traffic off of 69.

jhuntin1

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 04, 2017, 09:30:34 AM
<snip> what do you think needs to be done to fix that choke point?   

Eventually it will need to be 8-laned. It looked like they may be going to do something like that a year or two ago when they shifted the lanes left for a repaving project. There's enough concrete in the median to add another lane in both directions between I-70 and US-31. With all the semis that use the south side to avoid I-70 downtown, I'm amazed INDOT hasn't done more. There are some interchange reconstructions that would help, but I don't see them happening soon.

When they reconstructed the Harding St. interchange they did not do enough to handle the traffic. Both directions need a long collector lane to handle the number of trucks that get off. It's not uncommon in the afternoons to see the right lane backed up a quarter-mile or more. The left-side ramps for US-31 and I-65 are not a huge block most of the time. The ramp from westbound I-465 to southbound US-31 can back up, since it's a tight loop and that lane has to merge on the bridge before the traffic comes off from eastbound I-465. I have other ideas, but they wander in to Fictional Highways land.

nwi_navigator_1181

Updates regarding I-65:

With the exception of the southbound section between I-80/94 and 49th Avenue (which should be shifted back into regular position this week), the section of I-65 between the northern terminus and US 30 is complete. North of the Borman has a much smoother layer of asphalt, and south of the Borman has repaired concrete.

Starting Monday August 21, US 231 will be reduced to one lane in each direction at the Exit 247 underpass. This will allow crews to work on widening the bridge on I-65 itself. This portion of the widening project is scheduled to last through November. Similar work is in progress at the Indiana 2 overpass near Lowell, with the same target completion time.

Now it makes sense why the project team held off on working the 30 to 231 section of the project. It seems they wanted to get the major bridges wrapped up first.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

3 alternatives have been released for the new 465/69 interchange:
http://www.in.gov/indot/files/Alternatives.pdf
there are several more here:

i like C the best, one observation is that there will be a traffic light for people wanting to go south on binford from 465 east, slightly annoying, but no one really cares.

bmeiser

Am I missing something?  Is there no way for anybody exiting 82nd street to get to 465 in any of the alternatives?

pianocello

Quote from: bmeiser on August 25, 2017, 10:37:58 AM
Am I missing something?  Is there no way for anybody exiting 82nd street to get to 465 in any of the alternatives?

There is. In all of them, there's a split at the end of the loop.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bmeiser

I sure hope so.  Otherwise traffic wanting to go West would have to take 82nd to Allisonville to 465 and traffic going south would have to take Shadeland to 465 (which isn't as horrible).

silverback1065

Does anyone know why the ramp from Virginia Ave to 65/70 in fountain square is closed? It's been that way for literally months now, with no evidence that anything is happening.

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 30, 2017, 10:42:34 PM
Does anyone know why the ramp from Virginia Ave to 65/70 in fountain square is closed? It's been that way for literally months now, with no evidence that anything is happening.

Safety concerns or some BS. May be closed permanently.

http://cbs4indy.com/2016/10/12/virginia-avenue-shortcut-to-i-65-in-downtown-to-close-thursday/amp/

silverback1065

And how exactly is visibility a concern there? There is literally nothing blocking your view there, also why close this without any indication of removal? All the signage is there. I could seriously get out of my car and move the barrels and open the ramp again. What a lazy excuse.

silverback1065

It's a stupid ramp to begin with, who thought it was a good idea to have a ramp with 0 merge area connect to the fast lane?!

silverback1065

just a few miles north of this, a massive hole has appeared in a bridge over 10th st at the north split, you can see clear through, rebar and all.  10th st is closed, and a lane is closed on 65/70.  i believe every bridge on the cosigned portion of 65/70 will be redone with the stip funds. 

Henry

To remove a shortcut is incredibly stupid. While that may not be the only on-/off-ramp that crosses another street on its way to/from the interstate, closing it creates a great inconvenience to drivers who will now have to make an extra maneuver onto the other street to access the ramp.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

Quote from: Henry on August 31, 2017, 09:38:59 AM
To remove a shortcut is incredibly stupid. While that may not be the only on-/off-ramp that crosses another street on its way to/from the interstate, closing it creates a great inconvenience to drivers who will now have to make an extra maneuver onto the other street to access the ramp.

especially when they don't even sign it, it's signed as if nothing happened.  google maps shows it as a dead road. 

silverback1065

so I asked INDOT, and they mentioned it was safety issues at calvary st., she also said this: The plan is to reconstruct the south split and the geometrics will totally change.
now this really has my interests piqued.  I asked my boss if he knows anything about it, and he said not much, but that something will happen there soon.  I will keep digging and see if I can figure out what this means. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.