News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeiser

Great Lakes Roads

Get ready for a LOT of construction of I-70 between the western suburbs of Indianapolis to the Ohio stateline throughout the 2020 season with crossovers and freeway mainline and ramp closures!

Also, as part of this project, two bridges along I-65 in the Indianapolis south side metro area (Keystone at MM107 and Little Buck Creek at MM 103) will be replaced.

https://fox59.com/news/heres-a-look-at-indots-interstate-construction-plans-for-2020/

Crash_It

Noticed some premature deterioration along SB I65 from about Crown Point to shortly past the IN2 exit. Numerous potholes forming in the right and middle lanes. This section was recently widened just last year. Is it typical of INDOT to construct roads that deteriorate so fast?

edwaleni

Quote from: Crash_It on March 04, 2020, 08:35:58 AM
Is it typical of INDOT to construct roads that deteriorate so fast?

No. But it is typical for contractors to take shortcuts on their source of aggregates.

Crash_It

Quote from: edwaleni on March 04, 2020, 04:37:53 PM

No. But it is typical for contractors to take shortcuts on their source of aggregates.

But the DOT still has to inspect the materials to ensure they're of respectable quality as well as of the project itself.

silverback1065

I'm sure it's still under warranty and they will have the contractor come back and fix it.

PurdueBill

Quote from: edwaleni on March 04, 2020, 04:37:53 PM

Sounds like some of the "new" SR 25 around Clymers, which had to be resurfaced only a couple years after it opened because it was not done right. 

JREwing78

monty

Lots of progress has been made this winter in moving electric lines along IN 26 to accommodate the wider ROW for the upcoming highway rebuilding east of Rossville.
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on March 14, 2020, 02:53:00 PM
Lots of progress has been made this winter in moving electric lines along IN 26 to accommodate the wider ROW for the upcoming highway rebuilding east of Rossville.

what project are you talking about?  haven't heard of this one.

monty

If you’ve ever driven this IN 26 corridor, you’ll find a narrow road in a narrow ROW in awful condition with terrible drainage. https://www.in.gov/indot/3948.htm
monty

silverback1065

65 will be widened to 6 lanes from SR 32 to SR 47.  the public hearing has been cancelled due to the virus.

jhuntin1

Excellent. 6-lane all the way to Lafayette would be a very good thing.

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on March 16, 2020, 02:43:00 PM
Excellent. 6-lane all the way to Lafayette would be a very good thing.

the gap between 47 and 38 may be the shortest one left if you dont count 465 to 865

ozarkman417

silverback1065

70 will be closed this month from the north split to 465 on the east side.  they pushed this up due to the traffic drop from the virus. expect it to be done by late may.

nwi_navigator_1181

Lots of work along I-65, I-80/94, and the Toll Road this summer, and it will really ramp up next week.

Between Broadway and Ripley, I-80/94 is currently undergoing bridge deck overlay work. All lanes will continue to stay open, but lane shifts and lowered speed limits will be in effect. East of Lake Station, I-94 will see lane closures between there and Michigan for terminal joint repair along the bridges and overpasses.

The same scope of work will be underway on I-65 between Ridge Road and US 30. To maintain three lanes of traffic in each direction, crossovers have been put into place. The innermost northbound lane will cross over into the southbound lanes, with the inversion taking place later in the project. South of 30, work to patch the concrete (which I thought they already did last year) is wrapping up in both directions.

More terminal joint and bridge overlay projects will take place along the Toll Road. The Lake Station interchange was just recently completed. Next week, the entire interchange with I-65 and US 12/20 will be closed for at least a week. Eastbound drivers looking to access these roads will be routed onto Broadway, while westbound drivers will be routed to the Lake Station interchange (though it might be slightly easier to go to Broadway instead). Drivers looking for entry to the Toll Road will be routed to the aforementioned interchanges.

Indiana 2 is still closed between Hebron and Valparaiso (roundabout work at County Road 100 S, with coinciding intersection improvement work at County Road 500 W), but the detour route is also under construction. Along with the concrete work I mentioned on I-65, US 30 is down to one lane in each direction for deep resurfacing, between Porter County Road 250 W (just west of Valparaiso) and Indiana 49. Be ready for delays as traffic slowly picks back up.

All work above is scheduled to wrap up by fall.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

As promised, photos of i-165 the highway that never was:

silverback1065

The southern end from the north split going north.

silverback1065

Next piece showing the area around 38th St.

silverback1065

Kessler and 56th area.

silverback1065

The 465/69/165 interchange

silverback1065

This was alternative 1 from the EIS. So the document is old af, from the 70s. They even investigated turning keystone into an interstate but that died quick due to how much commercial development is along that road

silverback1065

unrelated SR 931's days are numbered in northern indiana. the random piece in st. joe county will be handed over next fall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.